Just read on ebay that the old search will be retired completely in january. Any idea what the people who like the old search will do? Might email ebay and see what they say but theres no way I can use the new search, its far to slow and hard to use.

Ideas anyone?

Dazaa

Same here, I hate the new search engine. I doubt we can do anything about it though. I feel like I'm getting old and stuck in my ways but I just cant get to grips with the new version.

Here here Dazza, I hate the new eBay, but I guess we are stuck with it, whether we like it or not.

I guess if everyone stuck together and didn't buy or list anything for a month they might feel the pinch, but that would never happen unfortunately.

I do wish they would leave it as it was though.

Paul.

Noooooooo! Also ebays idea of "related items" differ very much from mine. Radio control Barbie Car? Sorry- Pink is not my colour...

I've just stopped using ebay completely. If they can't be bothered with making a user-friendly experience, then I can't be bothered to use them.

I've just stopped using ebay completely. If they can't be bothered with making a user-friendly experience, then I can't be bothered to use them.

Problem is I use ebay alot and no way could I go without it. Perhaps some computer genius could hack in to ebay and mess up thier stuff so its back to the old search again? And no reply to my email either.

dazaa

Thats a pain, i hate the new search too, cant get on with it at all. I wonder why they are changing it as it seams no one likes it?

Yeah i find the new search rubbish,the old one is great :D

I'm surprised nobody has created a better 'front end' to ebay. I guess eBay wouldn't be too happy about it though...

Am a newbie to the site and have been wandering round it for a couple of days have to say I am impressed with what i see, stumbled across this thread and had to voice my opinion..

I hate the new search engine on Ebay, and too like you all were horrified when i saw the announcement to retire the old system in Jan, but what peed me off the most was when the nice people at Ebay decided to change my Ebay page, its a mess! nothings where it used to be and looks all washed out, why can't they just leave it as it was,

Sorry to rant expecially on my first thread but i use ebay alot and they have really got under my skin with this one...

MATT

Don't worry, rants are commonplace here ;-)

Especially if you get me early in the morning.

Paul.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The new ebay search is total rubbish - I'm still using the old version.

The new search experience is just toooo painful for words...

Being an old Fleabayer, the new search is another nail in Ebay's coffin. The whole change reflects Ebay's "New" business model. They have been working very hard to remove the individuals selling what has been described as "Flea Market Junk", and replace those individual sellers with large Corporate types. The new search is designed to direct you to what "Ebay" wants you to buy and NOT what you are looking for. It will take some time, but the new fee structure for individuals is gradually making small scale selling unprofitable (except for Ebay). When you search for "Vintage Tamiya", and get a page full of Pink Barbi R/C Corvettes, it's because Mattel has paid Ebay big bucks to overide your desires. Once you figure this out, you do what I did. Join Tamiyaclub.com to connect with what I find important.

Hello Tamiyaclub! From 442xcar. New Member as of today, December 17th, 2008...........

Being an old Fleabayer, the new search is another nail in Ebay's coffin. The whole change reflects Ebay's "New" business model. They have been working very hard to remove the individuals selling what has been described as "Flea Market Junk", and replace those individual sellers with large Corporate types. The new search is designed to direct you to what "Ebay" wants you to buy and NOT what you are looking for. It will take some time, but the new fee structure for individuals is gradually making small scale selling unprofitable (except for Ebay). When you search for "Vintage Tamiya", and get a page full of Pink Barbi R/C Corvettes, it's because Mattel has paid Ebay big bucks to overide your desires. Once you figure this out, you do what I did. Join Tamiyaclub.com to connect with what I find important.

Hello Tamiyaclub! From 442xcar. New Member as of today, December 17th, 2008...........

Frankly, the best thing for Ebay-users to happen would be that Ebay is revealed to be in dire financial needs to to the credit crisis, and is snapped up by someone who preferred the old business model.

Sure, that would likely also bring Paypal down, but seeing their service is also starting to degrade... (I had a problem with my account, which somehow caused some of my settings to get borked, and they blamed it on the computer system! :D And their help-files are incomplete and unhelpful...)

I think eBay is likely to thrive during the credit crisis, as people on the streets will more likely use it to make some money during difficult circumstances.

Paul.

Frankly, the best thing for Ebay-users to happen would be that Ebay is revealed to be in dire financial needs to to the credit crisis, and is snapped up by someone who preferred the old business model.

Sure, that would likely also bring Paypal down, but seeing their service is also starting to degrade... (I had a problem with my account, which somehow caused some of my settings to get borked, and they blamed it on the computer system! ;) And their help-files are incomplete and unhelpful...)

No matter what happens in the world economy, Ebay will survive. The costs to sell on the site are close to the breaking point for many, and the actual Sell-Through rate is plummeting (items listed compared to what sells). For me, I notice less and less Vintage Tamiya stuff, and the quality is dropping. The enviroment of the site is skewed towards buyers (good and bad), and the cost to sellers has been a catastrophy. When times get tough, people will liquidate assets, but will happen in places other than Ebay. Craigslist is now the new Ebay here in the United States. The problem with Craigslist is that it is local, and not that user friendly to International transactions (No Pay Pal - Usually Cash).

I think eBay is likely to thrive during the credit crisis, as people on the streets will more likely use it to make some money during difficult circumstances.

Paul.

You are right Paul. Ebay will thrive. If nothing sold anywhere in the world today on the site, Ebay would still make a rediculous amount of money. The problem is that sellers have to make a profit also. Hidden ID's, Positive only feedback for sellers/ optional negative for buyers, mandatory Pay Pal, rapidly rising shipping costs, all take their toll. No matter, you will still be able to find sellers who will use the site. At least for a short time. While we wait for the World Economy to find it's bottom, Ebay will continue to sqeeze additional profit from sellers to satisfy Wall Street. I'm just waiting for a new upstart to create a viable alternative, and hopefully one that is financially abe to keep Ebay from buying them out. Thanks Paul, Tim D......

To be honest I would be happier if ebay would go bust and maybe they would realise we dont like the changes.

Dazaa

This is another sign of the new times we are living in - I call it the age of stupidity. Ebay, like so many other businesses has utterly ignored a critical element of their business plan, namely the customer.

I have struggled to learn the new search, but I just don't find what I used to without just chugging through tons of rubbish. Complaints to Ebay/Paypal fall on deaf ears owned by the talking monkeys masquerading as human beings in the "so-called customer service department". Yeah, I got serviced all right. :lol:

Whenever I see the word "beta" suddenly appear on a site that used to work, I know the end is near, and no matter how bad it blows goats, the fool in the corner office is going to continue "improving" the site to death. Probably retired Wall Street brokers, AIG executives or GM officers - but hey, they know what they're doing right? ;)

Idiots.