If you think it's bad now, you should have seen the state of the new search beta versions earlier in the year. It was totally unusable. The user interface was difficult to use, the search engine searched out loads of irrelevant items and once you committed to a search, the only way to search for something new was to go to the homepage and start again!

Most of the old search features are still there in the revised front end. The bit I miss is the related items links that would appear above the search results.

I just wish ebay would stop picking on my user account to automatically get placed in all the betas - though they have sent me gift vouchers this year, and usb xmas lights last year :)

If you think it's bad now, you should have seen the state of the new search beta versions earlier in the year. It was totally unusable. The user interface was difficult to use, the search engine searched out loads of irrelevant items and once you committed to a search, the only way to search for something new was to go to the homepage and start again!

Most of the old search features are still there in the revised front end. The bit I miss is the related items links that would appear above the search results.

I just wish ebay would stop picking on my user account to automatically get placed in all the betas - though they have sent me gift vouchers this year, and usb xmas lights last year :)

well if you get lots of freebies then you have to put up with the search. You can clear your cookies so you stay on the old search till its retired.

dazaa

Just thought I'd add my rant.

I've been using the bay for over 9 years, having previously relied on the likes of LOOT/QXL etc.

I used to rely on ebay to find all sorts of weird bits I couldn't get elsewhere as well as selling. Nowadays, all the decent sellers have long gone, bargains are only accidental and selling things is barely viable.

Their 5p listing days help to get some interest in the cheaper items, but they rarely sell. Final value fees are extortionate. Their levels of service are appalling - no wonder they hide.

The new search is so cumbersome, I'm amazed someone signed it off - it's atrocious. The results are all fluffy with more garbage than I want - I'm after the results of my search - nothing more thanks.

Since ebay bought paypal a few years back - their fees have also been "realigned".

Nowadays, I still use ebay, but not exclusively by any means. I've taken to using Gumtree & LOOT again.

It's about time ebay had a double helping of common sense - and fast. If they were clever, they could actually do rather well out of the current economic climate. They've forgotten their roots..........

I hope a viable worldwide alternative pops up - soon.

ebay aren't as stupid as they look. - they've been buying local 'classified' sites that have a local feel for ages.

They've already bought www.gumtree.com more's the pity.