Sign in to follow this  
namfreak

Wild Willy 2 Hop-ups

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any of the hop ups for the Wild Willy 2?

I've got myself a set of shielded metal bearings - that's a must!

Been reading the instructions and there's several suspension options. One of which is the TA03 Super low Friction damper set.

I'm not a mad competition hobbyist - just someone that likes to build the kits to a nice standard, run 'em a bit when i get chance and display 'em too.

Are any of these hop ups worth the price tag? I do like to make a good durable model, or are the "stock" suspension parts perfectly good enough?

The oil shocks will take some of the uncontrolled bounce out of the suspension which will be good. As to the rest of the hop ups listed for the kit... not really needed. Fit a better ESC so that you can fit a hotter motor if you want, replace the stock servo saver with a Kimborough one as well. A good battery as well would be good as well, it least 3000mah to get good run times and a little bit more punch. Infact, if you can afford it, get an ESC with Lipo option, and get lipo batteries, they're lighter and 7.4v will be ok for the motor and the extra .2v will be noticable.

Thanks Adam,

However you mentioned oil damped shocks - I agree they would be nicer!

However 53280 - the TA03 Low Friction damper set does not appear (in the kit pictures) to use oil.

Kit 50746 CVA Super Mini Shock set has oil included in the kit, but no springs

Kit 53155 Low Friction Aluminium damper, again does not appear to use oil.

Which kit should I be looking at?

Both the 53180 and 53155 use oil, you would have to buy the oil from your LHS etc.. and tune the shocks accordingly. That is why they don't come with oil. I have used all three sets of shocks and couldn't say which is best

53280 are gold coloured and with blue springs,

53155 are purple and use a standard spring,

50746 are black plastic and again use a standard spring.

That being said, you can buy both on & off-road hop up spring packs along with various oils ranging from 100>700 (soft>hard).

Buy which you like the look of and suits your budget.

Other hop ups that are available like Suzi has said include TL01 alloy lower wish bones, bearing/hub carriers, adj upper arms, turn buckles for the steering..... the list goes on. Just look on Ebay under TL01.

Thanks for the clarification and guidance guys.

I'll probably go with the CVA mini shock set, 50746 and choose a soft oil for off road...

Other hop ups that are available like Suzi has said include TL01 alloy lower wish bones, bearing/hub carriers, adj upper arms, turn buckles for the steering..... the list goes on. Just look on Ebay under TL01.

Sorry to dredge this thread up to the top-thinking of getting a WW2 so I've been doing some researching. This confused me though-does the WW2 use the TL01 chassis then?

Cheers

I believe the WW2 is sort of a hybrid using TL01 bits plus a Wild Dagger gearbox and a unique chassis.

I bought some dampers on eBay for $25 or so, although that was long ago, I still see various sellers selling them (right now there are some sets from eBay member rcdamper (from HK) and a nice set from teambluestar on the bay). (I sent you a PM with the auction number for the auction) Mine was anodized so I removed that to give them that bare aluminum look...

I bought a Tamiya Low Friction Damper set as well, at more than double the price, but never installed them on the WW2.

Ballbearings and oildampers are the only needed hop-up really when talking about performance/general handeling (anything else is overkill as this car handeling is, well, flimsy - the way it is suppose to be). I've done several other mods as well (lowered body, widened rear wheel mounts, altered front assembly...), but mostly to reproduce the looks and proportions of the WW1. I run a 21t motor too, but this isn't a car that can take too much speed unless you're going straight forward.

Next up will be to change the grill, and I have a few of Toykids great repro grills, that will be used and abused,

ww2_scale_3.jpg