Sign in to follow this  
SidewaysLS4

Df-03ra Humvee Project

Here's a few photos of my DF03RA Humvee project. This vehicle (what's left of it, lol) started out as an XB Hummer which reintroduced me to RC after a long hiatus stretching back from the Grasshopper days. Initially I was fairly impressed, but then as this hobby snowballed, it was no longer impressive. After mucking about with converting the origional TAxx chassis to TA02 suspension spec (more travel as the wheels would clear the body with those arms), it still had atrocious steering due to the design limitations, and had rather poor handling with the brushless power I had in it.

So then Tamiya comes out with the DF03RA...Rally style chassis, and after a bit of research, I jumped in and converted it so that it could function with a ~280mm wheelbase so my Humvee would have a decent chassis to ride upon. I am quite impressed how this turned out. Nice solid slop free steering, no more strange suspension geometery, and much better handling.

On to the photos:

The back end with new suspension components to get ~280mm wheelbase. TA02 arms and uprights, TB02 dogbones, and some shocks which origionally resided on the front of my Durga. I cobbled together some ~26mm long upper suspension links as well. Since the chassis turned out so well, I got some GPM alloy TA02 arms to get rid of the super flexy stock TA02 arms.

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

As the wheels no longer get caught on the body as on the standard TA style chassis, much more suspension travel can be had.

Mashed down:

Picture011.jpg

Regular ride height:

Picture012.jpg

There is also some good upward travel available when the suspension is unloaded.

I was able to get some nice slop free steering out of the DF chassis. GPM lower gearbox (no more steering post flex), GPM steering arms with 850 ball bearings, drag link attachment modified with a 5mm ballstud instead of the sloppy bushing, and lower kingpins also replaced with 5mm ballstuds getting rid of that sloppy bushing setup. Tamiya high torque servo saver added for good measure along with various shims as needed. I really like the way the steering turned out.

Picture018.jpg

And some more random photos of the final result:

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Nice Project! ;) I already read 'DF03RA' and 'Humvee' in a reply several times, it's good to see you made the idea reality. Something that Tamiya might even do as well in the future to replace the Humvee/Cayenne chassis?

I haven't finished my DF03 project yet, but it seems like it's a good base for many conversions! (Mine will be a RWD low profile buggy).

Nice Project! :lol: I already read 'DF03RA' and 'Humvee' in a reply several times, it's good to see you made the idea reality. Something that Tamiya might even do as well in the future to replace the Humvee/Cayenne chassis?

I haven't finished my DF03 project yet, but it seems like it's a good base for many conversions! (Mine will be a RWD low profile buggy).

Nice! Just finished my DF03RA myself. Will have to make a thread for it.

A few of these popping up already. Interesting to see how this chassis performs. Nice job.