Sign in to follow this  
Needler56

Wheels And Foam Inserts?

are there any other wheels that would work on the original blackfoot besides the traxxas satin chrome ones? also, does anyone use foam inserts for the original tires?

I wouldn't use foams - especially for dirt/grass running. The tires wear pretty well without them and it provides some shock absorbing on rough terrain and jumps. If you are running on pavement a lot you probably want some street tires anyway, and then foams are a different story.

I've got a set of old Prolines chrome dish wheels that I use on a GHII [think mad bull/hopper] but I don't know where you would get them now, they are long discontinued. I do think they were made to fit the original Blackfoot.

I wouldn't use foams - especially for dirt/grass running. The tires wear pretty well without them and it provides some shock absorbing on rough terrain and jumps. If you are running on pavement a lot you probably want some street tires anyway, and then foams are a different story.

I've got a set of old Prolines chrome dish wheels that I use on a GHII [think mad bull/hopper] but I don't know where you would get them now, they are long discontinued. I do think they were made to fit the original Blackfoot.

If u run 2.2" rims,then Motorsport offer some nice Mashers, but avoid Moabs, as they are so out of balance, perhaps I should bin the foam.

King Blackfoots are the Best..

post-27903-1230425788.jpg

Foams are irrelevant for the original tyres. The purpose of tyre foam inserts is to support the weight of the truck, the Tamiya monster truck tyres are firm enough to support themselves.

HPI makes a range of 2.2 truck wheels that come with adapters made to fit them to the Blackfoot, the HPI MT Mesh, Type F5 and SS Monster wheels all fit straight on. Fitting the Tamiya Frog hex adapter set to the Blackfoot will mean any modern hex drive wheel will fit, RPM make a range of wheels for the Traxxas nitro Stampede and nitro Rustler (not the electric versions!) that will also fit on if you use the hex drive adapter.

Foams are irrelevant for the original tyres. The purpose of tyre foam inserts is to support the weight of the truck, the Tamiya monster truck tyres are firm enough to support themselves.

HPI makes a range of 2.2 truck wheels that come with adapters made to fit them to the Blackfoot, the HPI MT Mesh, Type F5 and SS Monster wheels all fit straight on. Fitting the Tamiya Frog hex adapter set to the Blackfoot will mean any modern hex drive wheel will fit, RPM make a range of wheels for the Traxxas nitro Stampede and nitro Rustler (not the electric versions!) that will also fit on if you use the hex drive adapter.

I am toying with foam, to stiffen the sidewall of the tyres on a monster beetle, on hard cornering on the street you can see the tyre walls collapsing and if they werent glued on would surely come off the rim ? any opinions if foam counters sidewall flex

Foams will only counter sidewall flex if the tyre is fully stuffed with the foam, assuming you are using the original tyres. Any modern tyre is softer so requires the foam to support it, the sidewalls will still flex though. If you are wanting something designed for hard cornering then a Monster Beetle isn't the chassis for it.