ryanbored

Am I A Bigger Geek Than You?!

My soon-to-be wife [maybe!] described me as a 'geek' to one of her friends I've never met. Now at school I was in quite a 'cool' crowd, played rugby, smoked and generally miss-behaved. Was poor at maths and physics and detention was a familiar event on my diary...

So I wondered where this 'geek' thing came from, and yes, I know Tamiya isn't exactly cool, but honey would you rather I was out on the razz, smoking and chatting up birds? No, I thought not! So here I am, sat in my littel 'hobby' room about to play another on-line game and I look around...

Oh my freeekin god I'm a geek! I play Counterstrike. I like Tamiya. I have a little thing that stores my bits and bobs that I'm rather proud of (see photo). I have a Tamiya banner on my wall. I meet up with people from all over the world to talk about little plastic toys. I have a load of little plastic boxes in draws that I've labled with things like "shocks" and "drive shafts". I love my colour coded allen drivers. I know where all my tools are (god I love tools! :P ) [Don't miss-quote me you bunch of "%"%ers!!]

I'm typing on here!! And you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world. Happy 2009 guys! [Feel free to add your geeky photos. Come out the closet- it feels great!!]

101_0251.jpg

101_0250.jpg

I've played Ultima Online, Dark Age Of Camelot, WoW and now Warhammer Online. I build my own PC's and drool over new parts i cant afford. I like building RC cars and driving them up n down over and over. I chat with people all over the world on Ventrillo and say LOL and Whats that all about then? irl.

Am i geek? :P

I was about to berate you for being a _massive_geek, what with your Tamiya banner & plastic rod & tube all neat in an organiser ... then I noticed my Star Wars poster & lightsaber :P

well, i built my own computer, i only realy go out to "play" with rc cars, i race every two sundays at my local club and iv even got a bench my dad built me specificly for rc cars, an people somtimes refer to me as a geek, but i make up for that by potholing, caving, and mining oh and biking to hull most saterdays with my mates whitch is about 15 miles each way, but at the end of the day im 14 :P

i dont see rcing as a geekish thing, it teaches you alot about engineering and its a better sport than football or cricket (well it is to me anyway) and id rather spend my money on rc car parts than fags tbh

but most of all i dont hang around in a gang threatning people like i see people doing around the village, so rc gets me off the streets

however i do not have a tamiya poster or a tube rack, :) but whatever floats your boat lol

My brother once called me a tamiya addict and geek! but to be honest i prefer it :P

lightsaber :P

If it works I am your new best friend! I don't care much for Star Wars but who doesn't want one of those?!

I have a doctorate degree, frequently wear a suit to work, but own an AK-47 and carry a concealed weapon, I speak several languages and read medieval literature as well as vampire novels, I like classic silver screen [bogart Rules!] but still watch Underworld, Anime and Monty Python, I've jumped out of airplanes for fun and I fly snowboards off 20 foot cliffs when I'm not rock climbing them in the summer, I dig Tai Chi but have done full contact sparring with a 5th degree Kenpo Karate black belt and was still standing at the end AND still knew what day it was. :P

I love fast cars, and have owned some classic cars, including muscle cars, Baja Bugs and an Austin. I also had a tricked out Land Cruiser and a Suburban. I shoot a longbow, hunt deer and pheasants, I dig techno and jazz but celebrate Beethoven's birthday every year, play a mean game of nine ball and drink Tequila without training wheels. However, I prefer single malt scotch and good cigar on most occasions, but won't turn down a good Merlot, and yes, by God, I do like Sushi, so there.

And I like Tamiya.

If I am a Geek, and I'm not admitting anything here, mind you, at least I'm a WELL-ROUNDED geek. :)

Ah embrace it!! The world is heading toward Geeksville anyway :P

I had similar time at school (except still smoking) then did plenty of partying afterwards, Became a mechanic etc.

Now, I'm IT qualified in the communications industry, love spending time with hobbies in the workshop downstairs, own about 7 PCs, manage an operations centre and have a 4wd Pajero 1:1 that has taken me to most parts of Australia and now starting to get out for a mountain bike occasionally or some fishing.

SO just make it well rounded, I quite like it when people call me a Geek, NUFIN wrong with that! :)

Makes them more surprised when oyu can do a little bit of everything, love that saying "Jack of ALL trades"

Rob

Yeah, I want one of those too.... :)

Ah HA! You're "the most interesting man in the world" from the Dos Equis ads! Interestingly, it doesn't list Tamiya as one of your favorite things to do but you have aced the Rorschach Test. :P

post-1020-1230432535.jpg

Seams the word Freak is getting replaced with Geek these days and a Nerd is it's own entity.

Seams one is a geek if they care about things, more then socializing with the outside world.

Unlike nerds anyone is a geek at one thing or another or at multiple things. Percentage of Geekness depends on how deep you are into things compared to other geeks who are into the same things as you.

Frankly, its the people who pretend to be "normal" that scare me the most. Too many people pretend to be something they're not, so they walk, talk and dress like the pretty people in the TV commercials and the magazine ads.

Seriously folks, in what alternate reality are those visions of the unobtainable considered "normal"? Is "normal" a lifestyle that you can obtain by using the right aftershave or driving the right car? Does buying the right product make you a better person? More content and happy? Smarter?

Just because you parrot the words spoken by someone the media set up as a "role model" does not make you part of the "in crowd". What a lark. I almost feel sorry for the idiots who buy what they are selling, but then again, if it makes them happy so be it. Idiots.

For my part I prefer to be around people who say what they think and do what they want. Was Mozart a conformist? Did he lose any sleep because people thought he was a nerd, geek, prodigy or whatever? I doubt it. Galileo? Leonardo Da Vinci? Stephen Hawking? Kate Beckinsale?

Sorry, that last one just slipped out while visions of black leather catsuits and vampire fanged hotness interrupted my neural pathways. Did anyone else notice a new Underworld movie is coming out soon? MEOW! :P We were still on the subject of freaks and geeks so it just seemed a natural progression. Sorry. Seemed perfectly natural. Really. I'm sure I would be a much happier, contented and possibly even smarter person if she would just bite me. Really. :)

My mates would call me a geek if they knew how much i was into it. i have one mate who is fine with it as he flys rc planes and heli's. we might have a race like top gear, his plane vs my frog (see rather unpopular built thread http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47480 ) I hide my neatly arranged tools if someone Else comes around though.

To be honest i do not see what my mates who are not into rc do all day. i think they just play on the xbox, ps3 or wii and watch TV all day. Surely if you are out having fun with your RC and they are sat in front of the TV all day then they are the geeks? :P

I used to be a bit of a gamer, but I don't play a lot of games anymore. Instead I've found new ways to keep my computer on all day and enough other things to keep me busy.

To begin with, I always liked drawing. I often draw people or cars, but lately I've started on making design sketches for RC cars and I want to start drawing animals...

With drawing comes another (ex)-addiction; Making Pixel-art. This means starting up (MS)Paint and making art in paint, pixel by pixel all by hand. Some use scanned drawings as a base for the line-art to fill in, but I only use pictures as reference. My work includes this portrait and this car. It took me more than 40 hours each, spread over one month... :)

I love listening some (good) music. I often don't like music from the top charts, so you won't find many of that in my collection. Instead, I like less known bands from many genres, but I mainly listen metal,rock and progressive/electronic forms of both. I won't bother you with what artists I exactly listen... If you are interested I'd suggest you PM me :P

Third is (you could have guessed it) RC cars. Still an expanding collection, mainly touring/rally cars, but I do have an SRB project for a while now and started building a custom DF03...

Would I call myself a geek? No. Ok, some people are more busy (in some eyes obsessed) with their hobby, but for me this is far more interesting than collecting stamps for example. For me it becomes geek-ish if your hobby has a higher priority than your (good) friends...

I like taliesin's comments about what is "normal"

The world is too full of sheep these days, who want to dress the same, do the same things, and have to do, or look, which ever way the media says is cool............... Wasn't it Oscar Wilde that said "Today's fashion is tommorow's form of ugliness"??

My user ID of "Retroman" is a bit of a statement of who I am really, and it's also a really cool track by a US rock band called "Spirit Caravan"! :P That's another love of mine, Obscure retro rock music. I tend to listen to bands that have an original theme to their music, rather than bands who are rehashing things a bit. No X-Factor, or this so called R&B that's about today for me!! :P Proper R&B is pretty cool, but I think that the term has been Hi-Jacked by the music business...............

Another Retroman thing is the cars that my wife and I drive. The newest car that we own was built in 1978. Whats an ECU?? Give me a Carb, points, and a coil anyday.

I also love retro guitars. My two Favourites, that are hanging pride of place on our living room wall are a 1969 Gibson EB2, and a 1980 Rickenbacker 4001. IMHO, 2 of the coolest bass guitars ever built. I have a real hankering for a mid 70's Gibson Thunderbird at the moment :)

The same rules apply to my taste in RC cars really. My Mrs kindly bought me a Tractor Truck, and Trailer for Christmas this year. What a little star!! For me it had to be the King Hauler, due to it's really cool retro looks. I think if I build another, it will be the Globe Liner.

Well, that's me in a nutshell!! :lol:

The way I see it is that if you get a bigger kick from tamiya than you do from girls, you are a nerd.

I therefor am not even close to being a nerd :lol:

The way I see it is that if you get a bigger kick from tamiya than you do from girls, you are a nerd.

I therefor am not even close to being a nerd :(

I'm nearly married, so I def a nerd! :lol:

I'm nearly married, so I def a nerd! :(

So you are "nearly married" but you get a bigger kick from tamiya than you do from girls? :lol:

The tamiya banner is retro cool - I was thinking of getting a Hornet T-shirt from ebay for same reason.

The official one is just so expensive though! I have the Grasshopper one, but not the Hornet one yet. Although I do have the uber-geekyest tshirt ever. It says: "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

:lol: ?

Loopback IP Address; "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"=s "There's no place like Home"