I just paid someone by paypal gift, and it asked if I wanted to pay the fee, or the recipient? :mellow:

I'm sure I've used this before without incurring any charges. I thought that was the whole point?

You dont get charged if the funds are in your paypal account.If you send money using debit/credit card then there`s a charge.

Thats my understanding of it anyway.Paypal make the rules up as they go half the time.

Guest Scorcherman87
You dont get charged if the funds are in your paypal account.If you send money using debit/credit card then there`s a charge.

Thats my understanding of it anyway.Paypal make the rules up as they go half the time.

Agreed. Not a huge fan of Paypal, but hey, what can we do?

if recipient has a "premier" a/c then he'll be hit by fees even though the $$ is coming from sender's cleared funds balance

if he hasn't upgraded his a/c then there's no fee... (or that used to be the way last time i looked)

I have a premier account, so people can pay me using a credit card as well as just from transferring funds. It means that if someone pays me using a credit card the buyer is charged no fees by paypal, but the cost to paypal of processing the credit card (plus a bit extra) is charged to the seller. Unfortunately once you have a premier account this charge is put on every transaction paid into the account, including paypal funds that are transferred.

By sending as a gift you have the option of paying these fees yourself, so the recipient gets the full amount, or you just pay the gift amount and the recipient pays the fees.

Ah that explains perfectly what happened. (he obviously had a premier acc)

Cheers all