tamiya monkey

What Non Tamiya Trucks Are We Interested In Buying

Hi all, firstly i have a lunchbox, blackfoot extreme and non tamiya stuff hpi wheely king 4wd with crawler conversion and my newest a traxxas slash which i do like, im looking around at fun trucks, stampede, highroller etc and just woundered what you had seen or liked the look off, i like the look of the highroller but i would prefer if it was 4wd plus im not up with non tamiya stuff so losi is a loss to me on how reliable its going to be. anyway your thoughts.

Hi mate, I love the look of the revo 3.3. Seen a few vids on youtube but the price scares me!!! :P

I am eyeing on one of those Kyosho Rock Force. Funny thing though, I am not even a crawler guy. I just like the looks of it. But...still can't afford it though, a bit pircey. Maybe someday.

im not up with non tamiya stuff so losi is a loss to me on how reliable its going to be. anyway your thoughts.
Losi have been one of the world leaders in competition r/c cars, with several world championships to their name. Their cars and trucks are known for their durability and performance. The one thing that has let them down in the past is that for their competition cars you really needed some experience to put their kits together, although as most of their current line up is ready built that doesn't matter these days.

You might want to check your LHS to see what they stock for Losi parts before you buy one. I found Losi parts very hard to get in my part of the world, and constantly heard the "Its back ordered but should be hear any day now" story for months at a time until I finally gave up and sold my Losi truck.

Not sure if it was the hobby shop, the supplier or the manufacturer, but since I gave up on Losi I don't care anymore. If your LHS is very good about stocking Losi parts, then you might not have that problem.

Currently looking for a mental fast electric - I believe the E-Revo and E-Maxx (and possibly E-Savage) come in brushless form now? Other than that, I love the look of the Losi Mini Crawler...

You need to be a bit more specific with what you are looking for:

*Nitro or Electric ?

*4wd or 2wd ?

*Dual Motor or Single Motor ?

*Stadium truck or Monster Truck ?

*Basher, racer or crawler ?

*Brushless ?

*Kit or Ready to Run ?

Then maybe more suggestions will pop up.

You can never go wrong with the Traxxas line up. I have both the Slash & E-Maxx and both are great fun with great parts support. (Most of my Tamiya vehicles are "shelfers").

Let us know.

Hi guys, i think im after something like the stampede/highroller, love the look of the losi highroller, but ive heard its not that fast, where the stampede i can get in vxl form which i would think is fairly fast out of the box and i know from my slash traxxas are well thought out and tough. also looking at the losi desert truck as this also looks great, i bash mainly, dont race only for fun at the beach when we can, but mainly on grass or dirt.

love the look of the losi highroller, but ive heard its not that fast, where the stampede i can get in vxl form which i would think is fairly fast out of the box
Just to make the decision more difficult, for the difference in price between a High Roller and a Stampede VXL you can buy a fast brushless system to go in the High Roller so it goes just as fast.

For the same money there's also the HPI E-Savage and Traxxas E-Maxx monster trucks, for all out speed there's also the HPI E-Firestorm Flux.

Had a e-savage although there is a new one coming out, had an e-maxx and a friend has a e-firestorm flux and although it is fairly fast i just dont like the look of it.

you couldn't go wrong with the brushless stampede. they are indestructible and quite inexpensive.

the HPI wheelie king is kinda cool too, but i've never heard of a brushless one. :P

a brushless rustler with sand paddles and a wheelie bar would be crazy fun at the beach! there is some movie footage of one from the northwest nutters or the cider bashers or one of the groups here on TC. sorry guys, i can't remember whose truck it was or which group you were with, but very cool movie! :)

I love the AE SC8 Short Course trucks, they look so realistic. The Traxxas Slayer is cool too. But I just cannot justify buying either...

The AE KMC truck, a fav:

aekmcio8.jpg

I have a sidewinder 4600 in my Losi Desert truck and on loose gravel (quartz), the tyres have no traction - it's not the slipper or too much power, it's just the complete lack of tyre grip. 4WD is so much better when it comes to speed, so that is why I've been looking at a Savage X 4.6 SS. I'm just not quite hooked on the dirty nitro stuff yet! But electric is too boring for me now.

My golden rule for buying a runner is buy the most popular, and the one with the most number of spares available, such as HPI or Traxxas. Losi parts are available, but so many more people now run HPI (Savage) and Traxxas trucks that spares are much more accessible. Ebay or Losi (Horizon online) seems to have plenty of spares for the Desert truck. Losi's advanatge at present is their cheap (but good) DSM equipped radios and digi servos.

If you are running on grass, don't buy a truck with 1.9" wheels - it will burn the electrics out. Even a High Roller may not do so well. This is where a bigger truck, such as the Savage Flux or E-Maxx will do much better.

Bang for buck the E-Savage is good value, but does not share parts with the latest Savage X line.

Go search some other forums to learn which non-Tamiya trucks are popular B)

Mike

Can anyone tell me roughly what length of run time you'd get from a nitro t-maxx compared to my df03? I'm lucky if I get 10 mins with an ansman 2300 battery and thinking maybe a nitro buggy would give longer run times?? Any advice would be appreciated very much guys. B)

why not an ELECTRIC associated SC8??

RCMonster motor mount

center diff locked and spun around

novak battery holders

36-60-2048kv motor

13 tooth mod1 pinion

2, 2s 30c 4500mah lipo packs in series

castle BEC unit

Castle mamba ESC

video

normal_redbull007~0.jpg

normal_redbull003.jpg

normal_lucusoil_004.JPG

Can anyone tell me roughly what length of run time you'd get from a nitro t-maxx compared to my df03? I'm lucky if I get 10 mins with an ansman 2300 battery and thinking maybe a nitro buggy would give longer run times?? Any advice would be appreciated very much guys. :D

Why not just get newer batteries, you should be able to get far better run times, maybe even for a brushless setup if you want abit more speed, the ezrun set's off ebay are nicely priced and would make your df03 move alot faster.

why not an ELECTRIC associated SC8??

RCMonster motor mount

center diff locked and spun around

novak battery holders

36-60-2048kv motor

13 tooth mod1 pinion

2, 2s 30c 4500mah lipo packs in series

castle BEC unit

Castle mamba ESC

video

normal_redbull007~0.jpg

normal_redbull003.jpg

normal_lucusoil_004.JPG

I like :D . Thanks for the video

I just ordered my first non-Tamiya kit for 2009. My very own Kyosho Rock Force. Can't wait.

Just ordered a losi highroller in red, to go with my wheely king, slash and blackfoot extreme from christmas, not a bad start to 2009. was looking at the axial scx10 axial website for my next project as a replacement for my touareg ive just sold.

Update i got my highroller today, it looks great, not tried it out yet though. anyone bought or buying anything big wheeled.