oldtimer

Which Motor?

Hi Guys

My son drives a Ford F-150. Everything is stock incl. the Teu 101 bk ESC. During the holidays he drove his truck alot in the sand dunes. I was alot of fun but the motor didnt like it to much. Now it makes horrible noise and I guess its time to replace it.

Since I drove the truck too, I told my son, that I gonna look for a new motor.

Now I am a little bit unsure which would be best, and I really dont now what are the differences. Since the Truck is used Offroad I think I should thake one that can handle dirt and stuff like that. Which one would you recommend:

Super Stock BZ, Super Stock TZ, Super Stock RZ or the Sport Tuned.

Is one of them okay or should choose another one?

Thanks for your help.

It may not be your motor making noises, I had a simlar thing with my Falcon and it turned out to be a striped spur gear. If you want to replace your motor then you base your choice on what you plan to do with the truck. If you want it to drive through thick mud and climb stuff etc then you want a higher turn motor which gives better torque but lower speed. If you want your truck for speed then I think the BZ is the one for dirt although a good 19t would be good too.

I like the sport tuned motor because you can buy one for $12.40 + S/H on ebay. Nice improvement over the stock motor and cheap as chips to replace if you burn one up.

The other motors you listed are excellent motors with replaceable brushes. They can be rebuilt, are faster, have bearings instead of bushings - there's just nothing bad to say about them. They cost more, but you get more.

The BZ, TZ, RZ each have a strength that can be matched to a particular kind of running, e.g. endurance, high speed, low speed, etc. I think the sport tuned is fine for general bashing though.

;)

I have the BZ on my hilux monster racer, lots of torque good top speed. Also, as they are rebuildable, you can easily replace bushing by bearing

Another vote for the Sport Tuned - great basher motor!

@ Sega, its defently the motor. I took it out and run it on its own. The noise is still there.

To all the others, thanks for your inputs. I think I probobly go with the BZ because I read the got some dirt protection, which I think is just what its needed for the places the trucks is run.

I am just not sure if the TEU 101 Bk can handle it. What do you think?

@ Sega, its defently the motor. I took it out and run it on its own. The noise is still there.

To all the others, thanks for your inputs. I think I probobly go with the BZ because I read the got some dirt protection, which I think is just what its needed for the places the trucks is run.

I am just not sure if the TEU 101 Bk can handle it. What do you think?

It should do, the BZ has the same number of turns as the sport tuned motor that the Teu works very well with. B)

It should do, the BZ has the same number of turns as the sport tuned motor that the Teu works very well with. B)

Although both have the same nr of turn, the BZ is much more power full than the sport tuned, so (sorry I did not pay attention in my first input), I do not think the TEU will support the BZ

I run a Superstock RZ with a TEU in my Bush Devil and it runs well - but it is cold here in the UK at the moment so you may struggle if in a hot climate as the TEU can thermal cut out if it gets too hot (never had this happen myself)

Personally i think it will be fine, the TEU has a limit of 23 turns, and that is what the BZ is. It should be fine. B)

Personnaly I would not run a TEU-101BK with a bz motor espically on sandy conditions where I would even refrain from using a sport tuned without good cooling air due to the heavy nature of driving on sand. In addition a Bz motor will give a considerable increase the machines performance perhaps above what other components of the car can take for example is it ball raced? what sized batteries are you using?

I agree with those above that a sport tuned is your best bet and from my experiance of scale racers it would be what I recormend having run them in many of my cars.

Best Wishes

Ryck

Officially the TEU101-BK is only able to be used with the kit motor and a Sport Tuned, even 23 turn motors are too much for it. Quality varies between TEU101-BKs so someone can happily use it with a more powerful motor, yet others have blown them up using the kit motor in bad conditions.

If you are planning on upgrading the motor and you are running off road you definitely want to replace the ESC with a better one.

No motor can handle dirt better than the kit motor, every other motor has external motor brushes that need more maintenance in dusty, dirty conditions as the motor brushes are more exposed. Fitting a mesh over the slots in the kit motor will help keep dirt out, even taping them over to keep dirt out but you have to make sure it doesn't overheat. The noise from the motor could also be due to the bearings needing lubricating, salt water and sand at the beach can get inside and the bearings can bind.

Of the motors listed the BZ is designed for off road use, Tamiya even includes a dust cover for the motor brushes. The power band of the BZ is very much suited to off road buggies and trucks.

i have had my teu101bk running happily with a shumacher 17 x2, but this was in a hornet, a light car and it isnt under full load much as it spends all the time upside down...

problem with brushed motors is they tend to eat a lot of sand and then redistribute it around the gearbox of the car, so i would expect there may be sand in everything in cludin the motor. if you want a little more power aand better reliability, it may be worth investing in a cheap brushless system like the EZrun, so the motor is basically completely sealed... though you are ooking at at least 45 for a motor esc combo.

Personnaly I would not run a TEU-101BK with a bz motor espically on sandy conditions where I would even refrain from using a sport tuned without good cooling air due to the heavy nature of driving on sand. In addition a Bz motor will give a considerable increase the machines performance perhaps above what other components of the car can take for example is it ball raced? what sized batteries are you using?

I agree with those above that a sport tuned is your best bet and from my experiance of scale racers it would be what I recormend having run them in many of my cars.

Best Wishes

Ryck

The Dynanite Tazer 15T ESC is a great basher replacement and was recommended to me by this group. You can pick one up for $35USD. It is very cheap and handles the BZ motor well. I have used it in a Hornet, LunchBox, and DF-02 Rising Storm.

The Tamiya 'Dirt Tuned' 27T runs great with the TEU-101BK in my King Cab. I vote for the 'Dirt Tuned' as the replacement :D