angel wings

My Ezrun Esc Has Melted

Hey sorry ive been missing awhile, anyways I was one of the first to ask about the ezrun and had been very pleased with it until the esc melted on me. Im sure the DFO3 body didnt help, anyone else had this happen to them

AnGeL x

To be honest i knew someone would have a problem at that price. first i have heard of one melting though.

What gearing are you using?

The only bad I had heard was to do with the on off switch lead failing.

Where as it melted? Was it getting warm in the past? Whats the gearing? Does it still work?

My M03 has been fine so far running the biggest pinion and bigger wheels. But to be honest haven't been checking the motor and esc temps. But it does fly though lol.

To be honest i knew someone would have a problem at that price. first i have heard of one melting though.

What gearing are you using?

I was using 23/82 gearing

The only bad I had heard was to do with the on off switch lead failing.

Where as it melted? Was it getting warm in the past? Whats the gearing? Does it still work?

My M03 has been fine so far running the biggest pinion and bigger wheels. But to be honest haven't been checking the motor and esc temps. But it does fly though lol.

Its melted some of the fan, right under the fan aswell, no it doesnt work and my gearing was 23/82, need to buy a new system

Hopefully you only need the ESC and not the motor, so maybe worth trying the 5.5T version as that ESC is available seperately.

The fan on mine got caught on the shell of my Manta Ray, and didn't turn for a few minutes. It got massively hot, but seems ok now. Could that be what happened to yours?

hmmm, these bad boys are the speed passion systems just unbadged, so there shouldn't be a prob with the build quality.

good thing is that any brushless esc will work with the motor, going for the higher rated esc is a good plan, much cheaper than buying a whole new system!

Blocking the fan air flow with the body will do it though. I've had no probs with the fanless Mamba esc in the tight Dark Impact body, am about to try it in the DF03MS chassis.

Blocking the fan air flow with the body will do it though. I've had no probs with the fanless Mamba esc in the tight Dark Impact body, am about to try it in the DF03MS chassis.

It may indeed be the problem. In that case I'd suggest you cut open the 'intakes' on the shells; Fake vents on the sidepods for the DI/DF03MS, Fake roof intake for the Keen Hawk and the ribs/fake vents at either side at the cockpit window. In that way you mostly keep the same looks bodywise, but do get some mroe ventilation. The con though is that making the holes on the places I mentioned for the DI and Avante Mk.II is that they might be in the path of any dirt that's spun on by the front wheels when steering... :D

Sorry to hear that, iv run my eZrun in my df-02 and ff-01 plenty of times with bodies and without. My df-03ms has the 5.5t with the 60a esc, iv yet to run it for a long time and still not finished the body.

Sorry to hear that, iv run my eZrun in my df-02 and ff-01 plenty of times with bodies and without. My df-03ms has the 5.5t with the 60a esc, iv yet to run it for a long time and still not finished the body.

A little off topic, but how is this combo? I have been looking at buying one. If you could tell me about it, that would be great. I am trying to decide between this one and the other EZrun's available.

A little off topic, but how is this combo? I have been looking at buying one. If you could tell me about it, that would be great. I am trying to decide between this one and the other EZrun's available.

Ill put it like this, due to my soldering skills i chucked the 9T in give it a run and it felt good. After buying a new iron and some better solder i finished the 5.5T and gave it a spin. OMG is all i can say, im no expert but **** its quick. You have to take it steady before give it full whack or it just spins so it takes some skill to drive it properly.

Cool. Do I have to solder anything? Doesn't it come with Tamiya connectors?

Why did you solder? I am new to this also.

Anyway, this seems to be the fastest one out there, and for not much more money, so I am trying to find reasons why to buy this one or one of the others.

Cool. Do I have to solder anything? Doesn't it come with Tamiya connectors?

Why did you solder? I am new to this also.

Anyway, this seems to be the fastest one out there, and for not much more money, so I am trying to find reasons why to buy this one or one of the others.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...64&hl=ezrun

The battery wires do not come with any connectors, i have deans on mine.

Ah, thanks. I thought I'd have it easy. I could have swore somebody said it had Tamiya connectors. I might not be getting one of these now.

It all seems a little bit complicated for me. Thanks for the information though.

check you connections to the motor. i almost did my ESC in when my motor wire had melted and were touching. the ESC was building a ton of head, enough to burn my fingers.

my $.02 worth.

Ah, thanks. I thought I'd have it easy. I could have swore somebody said it had Tamiya connectors. I might not be getting one of these now

My 9T came with a Tamiya connector.

Ah, thanks. I thought I'd have it easy. I could have swore somebody said it had Tamiya connectors. I might not be getting one of these now.

It all seems a little bit complicated for me. Thanks for the information though.

Yeah mine came with tamiya connectors

Im sure now it was to do with the shell too close to the fan, I did 5 battery runs though out with friends so im sure that didnt help, I have thought about cutting small vents in my shell, as most of you know ive got the dfo3ms same shell as the di anyways, wouldnt cutting small vents make the shell weaker?, im really tempted buying another ezrun, it was great and I was pleased with it until it melted.

I intend to cut out the vents on the DI/DF03MS shell and glue fibreglass fly mesh to the inside to prevent large dirt from entering the tub as it's thrown up from the wheels of other drivers. I will also afix the entire sides of the body to the tub with strips of velcro (I'm not using body posts at all).

You really need a good 10mm of space between the body and the top of the fan so it can breathe properly to keep cool (Imagine what would happen if you blocked the fan on a Notebook PC the same way). If you can't get that much air space I would look at a brushless esc that does not need a fan.

You do realise that the Mamba ESC will power the EZ-Run motor without issue, so you only need an esc?

I intend to cut out the vents on the DI/DF03MS shell and glue fibreglass fly mesh to the inside to prevent large dirt from entering the tub as it's thrown up from the wheels of other drivers. I will also afix the entire sides of the body to the tub with strips of velcro (I'm not using body posts at all).

You really need a good 10mm of space between the body and the top of the fan so it can breathe properly to keep cool (Imagine what would happen if you blocked the fan on a Notebook PC the same way). If you can't get that much air space I would look at a brushless esc that does not need a fan.

You do realise that the Mamba ESC will power the EZ-Run motor without issue, so you only need an esc?

Ah yes Mark that maybe the way forward, cheaper too, cheers

Great idea!

I was wondering who would be the first to fry an EZrun....