Arms14

Look What Someone Just Gave Me.....

I have been after a lunchbox or Blackfoot for ages now, and I mentioned this in the pub the other day an my mate said he had one that I could have. I said REALLY, all excited and he said "yeah I don't get on with it and it will get it out of my way." So anyway, yesterday he showed up with a big brown box and inside was the lunchbox complete with motor and spare wheels/tyres and two brand new tyres.

It came to me all dirty and dusty and a few bit needing some TLC so today I stripped it down an after about 3 hours, 20 cotton buds, 8 or 9 tooth picks, 10 or so wet-wipes and a good bit of elbow grease it starting to look better.....here are some pics. Mainly cos I am stupidly excited like a 10 yr old boy right now. (I will be 33 this month by the way)

DSC02581.jpg

After a clean up it looked a little happier - needs a new bumper for sure as someone decided to paint it (badly) silver which is now flaking off. UGLY!

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

Here you can see the "schumacher 17 stock motor" he left in there (anyone know anything about it?) I do know it needs the wheelie bar because it wheelies everywhere! Not sure how long my TEU-101 will cope with it though?

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02589.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

You can see someone has modded the shocks (I have seen this done before with one shock, but never two like this) looks a bit bodged to me and the back axle slips side to side on them which cant be that good

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02593.jpg

And here it is with its body on.... it needs a new bumper, poss new shell but at least new paint job, one bulb is broken in the lights. But apart from that it runs REALLY fast, wheelies like a lunatic and is generally and excellent bit of fun. I have order a B Parts bag as the back wheel connector is snapped and I have glued it for now. I may also look into sorting those modded shocks, but for now I am just well chuffed with a free lunchbox.

DSC02595.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

Nice score,just to let you know the wheels are on the wrong way round though,the treads should point down when looked at from the front,so they bite into the ground and give grip.

Great truck,one of my favorites for sure.Enjoy :D

hahahahaha excellent, Oh dear! see how much I know. Thanks though Twisty! :D All fixed now.

soak the bumper in hot water and dish soap for 30 minutes and scrub with a toothbrush and i bet that paint comes right off. paint does not stick to that type of plastic very well at all. paint comes off with a modest amount of scrubbing and you save a bit of money. :D

Nice score!

Add some rubber or plastic tubing to the rear diff pivot shaft to prevent the side-to-side movement. I didn't use my front bumper, looks hidious with the body I used, pay the postage it's yours.

img20319_20092008150857_9.jpg

It was a Lunchbox

Nice for free :D, not a lot you can say about the motor apart from they were great for the price and the a formula 17 is a 17 turn motor so it should be fairly quick in a lunchbox.

Nice score!

Add some rubber or plastic tubing to the rear diff pivot shaft to prevent the side-to-side movement. I didn't use my front bumper, looks hidious with the body I used, pay the postage it's yours.

img20319_20092008150857_9.jpg

It would be easier to clean the old one since its going to get smashed up with use. Thats one lovely truck you have there, giving me ideas now....

Nice VLB, especially for free! I wouldn't use that motor with a TEU-101 ESC though, it'll just thermal really quickly, or worse.

Dand, someone thought a little too hard about that double shock mod on the gearbox :)

free stuff is always good.

I got my pumpkin for free many years ago, a mate gave it to me as he knew I loved rc's and he'd never get it going again.

Think I've spent about 150 - 200 on it in the space of the last 7 years though :) lol

Nice one.. I wish people gave me stuff for free like that.. *Hoping for the scorcher* :)

i have run that exact motor happily in a hornet on a teu101bk, as you can really cane it all the time, but the lunch box will put a little extra strain on... its more than enough power and a good amount of torque for something with those dynamics. free stuff is the best!

Come on then fellas.

Is it a bad thing to run the Schumacher 17 motor with a TEU-101bk or not? There seems to be conflicting opinions already on here. I have a black can 540 which I can put in it.

I ran it yesterday in the snow and it was very very fast! but I don't want to run it anymore if the ESC is going to explode or burn out. I am going to attempt my first mods on it fairly soon. Possibly starting by widening the rear shocks and adding some rubber tubing to the rear axle to stop the double shock mod sliding about as suggested. Then some spacers on the front shock towers to bring the front down and try to sort the camber out a little......finally I think I am going to look at doing the front/rear shock tower bracing.

Now as I am a total newbie at mods, it will take time and I guess I will get it wrong a few times, but I have to start somewhere. I have been reading the excellent tutorials and want to give it a go.

Any input, suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated. :)

P.S I soaked the front bumper in hot soapy water yesterday and the paint came off a little, but its still patchy. It looks like a rubbery paint as been used?, it doesnt flake off, it more rubs away with scrubbing.

Dazaa, we may need to look at posting that bumper mate :) unless I can source one a little more local :lol:

Run it and then stick your finger on the esc soon as you pull up. If it's too hot to hold your finger there without a nasty burn the motor is too low wind for the stocker esc. It may very well run fine with that motor in this chassis as I will explain what I've discovered with hot motors in them.

The lunchbox chassis/diff type is rather unique I've found with how little effort it takes for a motor to make it move and how much power the gearbox can handle. The MambaMax 5700Kv gets warm to hot in every other chassis, doesn't even get slightly warm in the Lunchbox. The trade of for them not needing much to make them move is a massive runtime. I get 40 minutes from a 4200mAh battery in the Lunchbox and 50 minutes in the Grasshopper (Same diff) and it's ballisticly fast (Grasshoppers are not meant to wheelstand). These 2 have easily become my most driven cars due to the runtime and the abuse they handle. I have the MambaMax programmed on it's maximum settings for the Lunchbox too, about 2/3rd power in other Tamiya chassis.

Postage from AU to UK would be about $15AU I'd expect. I also have 1/2 of the chrome sprue I didn't use, and have no use for, including body mounts which seem to break a lot (This is in my traderoom).

CRP make a double wishbone suspension that is almost a bolt together mod that will remove all of the nasty camber and bumpsteer. It's meant for the Futaba FX-10 buggy but will fit Tamiyas that use that same front arm. I have them fitted to my Grasshopper and the eBay shop owner claims that fitting them to the Lunchbox is even easier to do (Mine will get done when finances allow).

I would try mineral turpentine on the silver paint, then dry immediately and re-oil the plastic with some silicone oil (shock fluid).

Postage from AU to UK would be about $15AU I'd expect. I also have 1/2 of the chrome sprue I didn't use, and have no use for, including body mounts which seem to break a lot (This is in my traderoom).

What did you use as bodymounts? I managed to break all four of mine jumping it off a skate ramp last weekend!

My truck body screws to the Lunchbox chassis on custom made mounts in a similar way to a Grasshopper. Basicly 4 plastic tubes with screws in them. I've broken these mounts off twice now. Thump the Lunchbox real hard with the brushless and it will do a bouncing backflip off the short wheelie bar, sometimes it doesn't always go as planned. :) I've broken both mirrors, the bullbar and rear bumper off many times but am yet to snap off a spotlight. Almost keeps up with the Savage... if you can keep it rubber side down. :lol: I haven't tried jumping it yet, no more than a few inches off the ground over a bump anyway.

Well I still haven't had a chance to run the LB for extended periods to "finger test" the ESC....but I will report back when I do.

Anyway, it seems it is my week :D . I was talking to one of the lads on my ice hockey team Wednesday night and he said his old man was mental into electric cars a while ago, now he has hit the nitros and doesn't use the electric much anymore. "So what!!!!" I hear you screaming..........well, he told me last night that his dad is going to get all his old electric stuff out to give to me as he prefers the Nitros now and has no time for the electrics and wants me to get them running and have some fun with them.

He said he has about 4 different trucks/buggies and he was talking about a wicked blue one that looks like a pick up truck, he didn' know exactly what it was but I immediately thought of a Ford Ranger? He says they are all Tamiya's too.

I will have to wait and see.....so excited again! I am going to have to clear a bigger space in the garage now :D

He said he has about 4 different trucks/buggies and he was talking about a wicked blue one that looks like a pick up truck, he didn' know exactly what it was but I immediately thought of a Ford Ranger? He says they are all Tamiya's too.

I will have to wait and see.....so excited again! I am going to have to clear a bigger space in the garage now :D

wouldn't it be amazing if the box included:

"An old blue one that looks like a pickup"

and

"A Volkswagen beetle type off-road racing thing, must be really old and rubbish because it's got metal suspension bits"

and

"an Army jeep with big wheels"

and

"a kind of frame buggy thing"

?

:D

My in-laws' neighbour told me he had "an old Tamiya beetle thing lying around, which I need to get back up and running again". I was expecting maybe a Monster Beetle, maybe a blitzer...but no, of course it was a very, very good condition Sand Scorcher.

I've told him if he ever wants to sell...let me know!

wouldn't it be amazing if the box included:

"An old blue one that looks like a pickup"

and

"A Volkswagen beetle type off-road racing thing, must be really old and rubbish because it's got metal suspension bits"

and

"an Army jeep with big wheels"

and

"a kind of frame buggy thing"

?

:D

That is why I am so excited because there could be anything in there.....who knows what! Good times! :D - maybe even a Sand Scorcher, although I would love it if there was a blackfoot really! ......