Sign in to follow this  
mr haggis

Nitro Or Brushless

Hi guys, looking for some help with regards to my next project. I purchased my first rc at the end of last year, a DF03, added a few hop ups, slipper, pinions, diffs etc and a EZrun 9T brushless setup.

Now looking for a truck but not sure re nitro?? The T-MAXX 3.3 looks great (I know it aint Tamiya, sorry) but I also love the Super Clod,(when I was 14 my mate had one, sooooo jealous) but I know that the Clod is a snail out of the box. Are there any brushless setups available for the Clod, is it worth doing? or do I spend my hard earned cash on a T-MAXX or even the E-MAXX? Only gonna be bashing and dishing out abuse so looking for reliability as well as speed too. Any help, pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Another option is to get a Traxxas Slash. These trucks come pre-built with several different bodies to choose from. They are total bashers and actually look pretty good since it is modeled after a real racing truck.

They are all the rage at my club track. So popular in fact that they have their own race class.

If you are looking for a big truck that goes fast, forget about the Clod. Yeah, you can put a pair of brushless motors and ESCs in there and go as fast as you want, but it's still going to fall over if you try cornering at high speed unless you replace both the chassis and the suspension with a race chassis.

If you want to go nitro then the T-Maxx or HPI Savage will be the best choice, if you want to stick with electric then the E-Maxx, E-Revo and HPI E-Savage.

If you are looking for a big truck that goes fast, forget about the Clod. Yeah, you can put a pair of brushless motors and ESCs in there and go as fast as you want, but it's still going to fall over if you try cornering at high speed unless you replace both the chassis and the suspension with a race chassis.

If you want to go nitro then the T-Maxx or HPI Savage will be the best choice, if you want to stick with electric then the E-Maxx, E-Revo and HPI E-Savage.

Ta Terry, can you tell me what will give longer run times? nitro or brushless?

Put a brushless setup in anything and runtime will drop, although the big trucks can use twin battery packs to give you more capacity.

Nitro trucks can run until your radio batteries go flat as all you do is keep topping up the fuel tank. But of course you have to pay for the fuel and you are limited to running nitro trucks where you aren't creating a noise nuisance. You also need to tune the engine to the weather conditions and the nitro truck will smell of the engine oil.

I'd say if you have a track to go to or if you not noise restricted and live on a farm go Nitro.

If our bashing around the yard and not electricity restricted i'd say electric.

Maybe it's just me but when i see people on the track, I just want to get in there and run them! If i had to charge battery pack that'll drive me crazy. I rather bring a gallon and a couple of reciever batteries and i'm good all day :(.

Go for Brushless. The fuel of Nitro cars is pretty expensive and you have problems with dirt and dust for the small engines. Brushless just needs some cooling and off you go. Often the electrics are waterproof or can be made waterproof, so you don't have to worry about all that. Nitro is something you either love or hate I think, and it's really not my thing. If you have had electric cars so far, stick with it :(

+1 on the E-Revo, they look hella cool and fit your specifaction :)

go brushless. from what i hear brushless is insane! nitro is just very dirty and loud.

I own a Savage XL, a Revo 3.3 and before those, had a brushless DF03 just like you. Brushless monster trucks are a HUGE initial investment if you want to go brushless. The new Savage FLUX is brushless and will run you $600.00 for the truck, another $400 in 2 Lipo batteries. That is just basic expense. Nitro fuel is not that expensive IMO, and I loveeeeee the run times, the sound of the engine, and my revo 3.3 can run with any brushless after a few basic mods.

Go Nitro and experience a new chapter of the hobby that I think is awesome. Here are some pics of my Revo and my buddy's Savage in the freezing NY winter :rolleyes:

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

You gotta see the abuse these trucks take and how 15 foot jumps seem easyyyyyy.... thats my Revo in flight off an 6 foot dirt mound :o Childs play cokmpared to how I launch it off my ramp and give it huge double back flips. Fun times my friend.