Sign in to follow this  
grizy

Fg Touring Car

Has anyone heard of an electric FG 1/5 scale touring car?

A friend has offered to sell me one, but I can't find any info about them. He showed me the nitro version, but he didn't have the electric one with him at the time. He said it has the same suspension, narrower chassis with large brushless motor and esc.

He said it could be a prototype, but I suspect it could be a home made electric modification. I will post pics if/when I get them.

Also, what kind of space would I need to run this scale of car? How fast do they go?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

Grizy

FGs are largescale gasoline 23cc powered giants... not nitro. Have not heard of an electric version.

FG make petrol cars that run on petrol from a garage, not nitro fuel. They have never made an electric car ever and are unlikely to, nor is there a conversion kit available. It will be home made.

You need a pretty big area to run them in if you want to do more with it than just potter around on idle, the car is about 3 feet long and reaches 40-50mph for the normal petrol ones. If the electric converted one is going to run at any sort of speed it will need a lot of batteries in there to shift all that weight.

Hi,

Lauterbacher did/do? an electric 1/5 it was not cheap though,i had one about 10 years ago,it had a 24 cell battery pack for the motor and a 5cell pack for the rx/servos,speedo was a Shlutzer[sp] with a huge Pletenberg [sp]brushless in it.Here is a pic of the chassis

http://www.finedesignrc.com/cars/lauterbac...lingchassis.jpg

They were well ahead of thier time and priced accordingly (a lot of money )

Carson also did/do a range of EP largescale,this is the only one listed i could find,

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,sho...rson_buggy,.htm

HTH

Simon

Oh,just to add,it was very very quick,but sadly i totally wrote it off before i had even put 5 minutes run time on it.A very expensive day for me.If you get one/it,be carefull with the power :)

Willy, Terry, Twisty. Thanks for the replies.

I got a phone call at work today and ended up buying the car. Cost a bit but I'm not sure I'd get the same opportunity again. I hope I haven't made a bad impulse buy B)

Any way,

It looks like a narrow chassis FG touring car with the petrol engine removed and a Lehner brushless motor bolted on.

Its got a HiTec HS5735MG steering servo, the Lehner brushless motor and an esc on three PCBs linked together.

I had to do a bit of diy with some M8 bolts and shims for the front axles but its looking good.

Had a quick squiz at the Lehner website. It recommends 18 to 22 turn motor for 1/5 car (I think). The one fitted is 12 turn so I'll have to try it and see.

Also got to get some batteries to run the thing. A bit more research needed before I get this big boy running B)

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

Cheers

Grizy

P.S Twisty, when/if I get it running I'll take along a camcorder so when I stuff it we can all enjoy the moment.

Cool,it looks like a Carson prototype.

Cheers Twisty.

I had a look at both FG and Smartech websites and can't find a similar chassis but the drive to the diff doesn't look like the FG.

Have you got any more info / link to a Carson Prototype?

Grizy

if the BL can push it faster than a 23cc, i'd wanna invest in a front-wheel disc brake kit :P

I have a FG catalouge at home (at work at mo) that clearly shows an electric version of an on road car they did. I'm not saying it was ever released, but it does show an electric FG. It is different to this car though. Will post some pics later.

It`s a H.A.R.M - EP 1

have a look here

http://www.harm-racing.com/en/products/har...s/sr-1-chassis/

=The chassis is mainly based on the EP-1 electric chassis. It is also equipped with plastic a-arms, plastic axle shafts as well as other plastic parts. The main advantage is the compatibility with existing H.A.R.M. parts. [end quote]

looks like the other one made it to Auz :P quite a rare beasty,

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...sa=N&tab=wi

research ends :)

Have you powered it up yet?

Cheers for the info Twisty. With those links I should be able to get all the info to get it running.

Haven't had it running yet. Been to busy at work.

Thanks again

Grizy

I've copied the page with the FG electric car on but it's in pdf format. How do i post these on the forum?

Here are the pics of the FG electric car. It's from the 2004 catalogue, don't know if it was ever available though.

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

I doubt it ever made production, it said in the wright up runs for 5 -8 mins lol what a waits of 12volts and all that time waiting for the cells to charge

i'd rather have a hornet with a 380 motor fitted and get 30 mins + out of it lol

c.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Finally put some batteries in the car - 2 x 9.6v 3700mAh vapextech and a reciever battery.

The car has an els-200 esc. When I plug in the batteries for the esc the motor runs, with or without the reciever & Tx switched on.

Has anyone got any instuctions how to set up the esc?

Do I need the sepparate battery for the reciever - I've seen a spec that says the esc has bec?

I adjusted the radio trim so that I could test the car, loads of wheel spin if you gun it, but i'm worried that when it loses Tx signal it's not going to stop until it hits something. Can't risk that happening so it's a big paperweight at the mo.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

Grizy

fit a fail safe matey.

Might have to do just that.

I was hoping that if I can set up the ESC I can put the radio settings (Spektrum DX3) back to neutral and if the signal is lost or Rx battery power too low it would cut power to the motor? Would that be right or do I still need a failsafe?

Cheers

Grizy