Kenny G

Tamiya Spray Paints Transparency?

So here's my re-re 'jero that is going to get painted soon (after I finish the rear lights :) ).

DSC02218.jpg

I am going to paint it two-tone with TS-17 gloss aluminum on the bottom and TS-39 Mica red on the top. Since I have no experience with Tamiya spray paint my real question is should I paint the entire car in silver then red over it? I would really like to get a candy affect, but I wasn't sure the red would allow the silver to show through. Does Tamiya make any semi-transparent over coats? Should I stop asking so many questions?

The rule of thumb for painting hard body is to apply the lighter color first with the darkest on last. In your case, I think the gloss Al can go on like a primer for the red, but you will end up using more paint. Tape off the area would be better.

the mica red has some translucency to it, so what you paint it over makes a difference.

White will give it the brightest shade of red, silver will make it darker. Paint it over gold and it goes brownish.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise :) . I think I will spray the whole truck silver, then lay down the red. I am not to worried about useing the entire can of paint really.

1 can would only last you 1 coat :P

when i did my MTW it went thru about 7 cans worth... fine primer, silver, colour coat top then clear coat.

The grille and window rubbers i did by handbrush.

ps you might as well cut out the bottom 3rd segment of the rear lights too. Use 1st & 3rd for red, middle for orange or white.

1 can would only last you 1 coat ;)

when i did my MTW it went thru about 7 cans worth... fine primer, silver, colour coat top then clear coat.

The grille and window rubbers i did by handbrush.

ps you might as well cut out the bottom 3rd segment of the rear lights too. Use 1st & 3rd for red, middle for orange or white.

I was actually thinking of skipping a primer coat, but I am not sure. My 'jero project is kinda stalled right now since fund have dried-up for the moment. As for the lights I am going to keep just the two opened upper spaces opened and paint the bottom one like the middle should be. The light bucket is going to be hard enough to make.