HereBeMonsters

What's Your Favourite Df-03 Body?

I just won a DF-03 chassis on eBay, and the seller is keen to get it posted today, so looks like I'll be needing a body for it very soon.

What is everyone's favourite body for this chassis? I was quite keen on the Avante Mk.II, maybe done up with original Avante decals? I do like "old school" Tamiya designs, if an Egress or Avante 2001 body fitted that would be amazing...

It will be running a 9T EZRun (which has a cooling fan on), and will be taking a fair bit of abuse. Possibly racing in the summer if I can find a local offroad club.

Suggestions please!

5566_1.JPG

Personally I like the original Dark Impact body - it's simple, compact and tidy - but it is very small, so makes the fitting of ESCs a bit difficult. It's also not very scale, if that's what you're after.

If you like the Avante Mk.II, check out Rabiedmushroom's showroom, she has a very nice Avante Mk.II with some interesting decals - it proves that the Mk.II can be made to look quite good, if some thought goes into the paint job.

The ezRun ESC does fit under the Dark Impact shell, although cooling may be an issue. You can cut out the 'vents' to get a small amount of airflow in there. Some people have had better results with the Keen Hawk shell, because there are more 'vents' available.

My favourite DF-03 shell is the Team Azarashi Xeneiga body

DSCF0503.jpg

Although I wouldn't bother with the nose wing. Notice the big air intakes and the air exhaust at the rear of the roof.

Available from RCMart

Most people hate it, but I still like the Avante MK II best. Aside from that, the Dark Impact shell is pretty nice too.

My favourite DF-03 shell is the Team Azarashi Xeneiga body

That looks great Terry (although I would have to get some Tamiya stickers for it!). Are there no stockists in the UK?

For the UK try the importers DMS Racing or RC-Direct

Sold out on RC-Direct, and I can't work the DMS site for the life of me. I haven't seen anything designed that badly for about ten years!

I'll check with RC-Direct at lunchtime.

Many thanks!

The Xeneiga body from Team Azarashi is indeed nice, but actually I think the body choice on the DF03 is pretty poor. The Dark Impact looks nicest of the ones from Tamiya I think, I think the Avante Mk.II looks ugly (It's just like trying to make a cover of an already very nice song - it often doesn't work out well) and the Keen Hawk is nice except for that ugly 'intake' on the top of the car... I'd saw it straight off and replace the hole with a piece of lexan. I think the problem is that the 'real' buggy designs have disappeared (hence the picture of an RC10 someone unfamiliar with RC has in his mind with the word 2WD buggy - you have the same with 4WD buggies, just can't find a perfect example for it at the moment) :P

I have been looking for a spare Avante MkII body & decals for mine.

No luck here or Ebay.

Apologies for the shamless grovel on this topic, but if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it please! :P

Sold out on RC-Direct, and I can't work the DMS site for the life of me. I haven't seen anything designed that badly for about ten years!

I'll check with RC-Direct at lunchtime.

Many thanks!

I know what you mean!

Nice DF-03, could you do a modern shell in retro colours and decals?

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? I nearly purchased one recently, they look sooooooo good. :P

Mine is the Dark Impact body from the DF03MS (Different TRF wing). If you leave the windows clear or cut them out and make rollbars from the sprue sheets it doesn't look so much like a spaceship. I cut up the original DF03MS decals, they are horrid boxart.

The Azarashi Xeneiga body would be the next best one I've seen (and no pink in sight). The piece forward of the front shock tower looks hidious, but apart from that it's ok.

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

It was 60, as it comes in the picture. The seller reckoned it had cost him over 300 to build, so a pretty good deal I think.

I have discovered that RC Mart do the RW Racing pinions I have been trying to find, so I will order them as well when they have the Azarashi body back in stock.

I cut up the original DF03MS decals, they are horrid boxart.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks the same way. :) I am currently looking through showrooms and on the streets to figure out how to paint my DI shell.

Personally, I like the keen hawk shell. I also personally like the top air scoop if you cut a functional hole in it to match the shape. It is low slung, and very nicely shaped IMHO.

104_1175.jpg

It was 60, as it comes in the picture. The seller reckoned it had cost him over 300 to build, so a pretty good deal I think.

I have discovered that RC Mart do the RW Racing pinions I have been trying to find, so I will order them as well when they have the Azarashi body back in stock.

Thats a great deal. :rolleyes:

The Azarachi didn't look like being back in stock any time soon, so I went with the Keen Hawk body. My DF-03 was originally a Keen Hawk, so the body posts should match up ok. Not sure what colour scheme I'm going to go with, probably blue and yellow, maybe some Avante decals...

Cheers for everyone's help, as usual!! B)

My Keen Hawk body arrived from Hong Kong already, so I need to order some paint for it. Anyone know the code for the Avante blue colour?

My Keen Hawk body arrived from Hong Kong already, so I need to order some paint for it. Anyone know the code for the Avante blue colour?

Isn't it just PS-16 - The Metallic Blue used for the Scoobies as well? <_<