Sign in to follow this  
XanderP

Fastest rc car on tc club

quote:Originally posted by DJTheo
quote:Originally posted by killerkip

My gravelhound, with Tamiya RZ motor, converted to 2WD and fitted with 28T pinion on 58T spur hit 75 kph a couple of weeks ago. Then I lost control and my girlfriend nearly ran it over with my (real) car :s

I suppose a severely speed-tuned F103 would be a winner... You should get that at about 90-100 kph in a straight line, on a very flat surface...

id="quote">id="quote">

Sorry but a 23 turn stock motor wouldn't propably reach 75km/h in a 1/12 pan car, in a Tamiya buggy its impossible, you need < 10t for that, my Dyna Strom which is 2WD and has much more efficient drive am not sure if it even reaches 50km/h with a 14T motor.

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

If you'll check your guidebooks, you'll see that a gravelhound is actually geared 'faster' than a dynastorm. (1:9.58 vs 1:10.96) Combine that with the fact that I added a speed gear for a TT01 (58T instead of standard 70T) and a spur to match it (28T instead of 20) and that I gave the car about 400 meters to get upto speed, it definately IS possible. Just try it with your dynastorm, and you'll probably get about the same speed.

Of course, the level of control suffers severly, and the car is very hard to drive - even to keep it straight. If that can be fixed - it'll be a great dragster ;)

Sorry, but that although theoretically the Vmax is close assuming 28000RPM and 80mm diameter tires 28000/((20/70)/(28/58)*9.58)*80*pi*60/1000000=74.7km/h a 23T doesn't simply have the power to reach its max RPM with such an immense overgearing on such a heavy, non aerodynamic and with high rolling resistance due to transmission and tires vehicle.

If it was so easy any RC car would do 75km/h with a mild motor, or a any real car would go 300km/h if you just gear them high enoughly, but that as you know isn't the case, at least for a straight slope.

If you see at http://www.tamiyaclub.com/xforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16813 or http://www.ccn3.aitai.ne.jp/~chevron/115-challenge.htm there is a huge effort motor, battery and effieciency wise done to reach similar speeds and that with 2WD cars and motors with less then half turns like yours.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by gozone

I have a Savage SS25 powered by a Fantom 27 engine, with various Nova hop-up´s and it is also pretty fast with the standard 2-speed transmission, however, i have not made a GPS measurement on it, but around 75-80 km/h is not unlikely, i guess... Keep in mind, this is also a MT, LOL..

id="quote">id="quote">

Sorry but I have my doubts. [:I]

I go Savage bashing and a few of the folks here run SH 28s,

Fantoms and other fancy big engines with the 18t clutchbell.

My radar gun has yet to clock any Savvy doing more than 60km/h. [|)]

Same gun which clocked a brushless Xray M18 doing 64km/h. [:0]

Hello :-)

My first post on tamiyaclub.com although I have been wandering around aimlessly for a while! Hello to you all, I have actually met quite a few guys here and everyone seems very nice.

I would just like to point the finger of skepticism at that video of a boat doing 127 MPH. I can't imagine a drive train capable of taking the power required for that speed! It does look fast, but lets not forget this is a scale model! When you race cars, they appear to go much faster than they really are, 20-25 kmph is actually quite fast, especially for a beginner with an off road buggy bouncing all over the place!

Perhaps we should have scale and engine classes and run competitions when the members meet. For example I have a GT1 Nitro (unbuild, but not for long! 44006) 1/8th which even from stock parts should blow away almost anything 1/10, especially electric.

Also method of calculation is important. EG, driving next to the model in question is not a reliable way to calcluate speed. GPS (mentioned by someone else) also seems less than accurate. Shouldn't it really be radar or laser gun measured?

Comments :-) ?

i have a 1/18th scale AE RC18T fitted with a mamba 8000kv brushless i run a 12t pinion and 55t spur with a 2/3a 6cell pack i have the timing set to agressive and not extreme yet this thing motors alog at a fair pace not sure on the speed but i would say 30+mph easy

TC

Heres a movie link to someone claiming 60mph (100kph) in a Baja Champ.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=193&uid=

I can no longer get to the movie.

My hornet was pretty quick with a Novak SS5800 and only 6 cells. Not near 60mph, but pretty fast.

Someone is building a high-cell count low-turn Hornet/Grasshopper. Thread in the forums somewhere.

I've currently (still) got NetsmithUK's radar gun (Must meet up soon Chris, to give it back!) and I've not had any R/C car go faster than about 50mph. I wasn't sure if the radar gun was faulty or innacurate or we were using it wrong but even nitros with manufacturer quoted max speeds of 40-50mph were only clocked at around 30-35mph actual speed.

I have done dozens of speed tests and the results seem quite consistent but consistently low.

I agree with LOADED above, the small size of the cars make them look like there are going much quicker than they actually are.

I've timed many new built buggies and touring cars running 7.2v and stock 540 motors at just 12-14mph!

My daughters mad bull with 7.2v and kyosho meyhem motor made 23mph

My daughters thundershot with 8.4v and reedy 19t motor made 27mph

My group C chassis with an 11 turn motor and 7.2v made 37mph

My avante2001 8.4v 13t dyna run ST made 37mph

My 9.6v terra scorcher with 13 motor and 2WD made 42mph

(These were average times, we've achieved faster speeds but not consistently as the motors seem to lose speed as they get hot and in the case of the 9.6v vehicle it can only do one run before overheating badly)

We've clocked a Marder (unknown spec) doing 45mph flat out but most other nitro buggies running off road have only made mid 30's.

As I say, I'm not sure how accurate the radar gun is but it seems quite consistent. It might well be reading low but in that case the electrics are even faster and are easily on a par with the nitro in terms of speed however, speed that comes easily for a nitro comes at a very high price in reliability and battery consumption on the electric cars. My 9.6v buggy will drain a 2000mah pack in just 2 minutes and my 8.4v Avante2001 will drain its 2000mah pack in about 4 mins.

Interesting reading - I think it just reinforces how subjective speed is when it's at a small scale and you're standing still!

my car makes 216 km/h

it's a bmw 320d touring e46 that has a remote control in the key to lock/unlock the doors. that's why i would say it's a kind of radio-controlled car too.

Agree on this one with mud4fun, as I also had written in my reply to killerkip it gets very tough/expensive to get a high speed from an electro car, also find his measurments very reasonable, except the 13T TS going faster then the 11T group C, wouldn't though put in on the 2 exta cells, something else must be wrong with the pan car, maybe stability problems, wheel vibrations or not optimal gearing.

Cheers

Just got an idea, how about tamiyaclub build an rc car to be

the fastest in the world! People can donate parts to it and hopefully

it will all come together and a car will be born[:D][:D][:D]

I have seen my MRX 2 Mugen 1/8th circuit car at over 85 mph on a speed gun, i think it will crack 100mph on the right gearing.

When Alan owned it we tested at Snetterton and think Chris's gun said 74mph i think,that was with a 5 port Nova Rossi, it now has a works 8 port turbo head Nova Rossi with nearly 3 Bhp.

I think maybe we should find out what car is the quickest any suggestions as to where this could be done?

Dave

My thoughts on this would be an electric pan car set up properly would be the fastest. Its that wieght thing again,and I'm pretty sure you can build an electric car lighter than a nitro car-but I have no facts to back this up. The fastest r/c car I read about was a pan car one of the r/c car magazines built a couple of years ago. If memory serves me correctly it went in the 80/90 M.P.H. range.[8D]

Okay just did some searching and I know we are getting off the focus a little here,because this is supposed to be about the fastest car at tamiyaclub,but we are talking speed here and I for one am a big fan of high speed. Just searched r/c car magazine and the unofficial world record for an r/c car is 112.7 M.P.H. held by Chris Collins in an associated car.[:D]

quote:except the 13T TS going faster then the 11T group C, wouldn't though put in on the 2 exta cells, something else must be wrong with the pan car, maybe stability problems, wheel vibrations or not optimal gearing.
id="quote">id="quote">

Hi Theo, yes, you are probably quite correct because I only had one pinion for the group C chassis at the time. I can't remember the size of it now but it may well have been a poor match to the 17t pinion (highest gearing) in the TS. The group C chassis was also running a heavy HPI Nissan touring car shell where the TS's were running heavily trimmed and light bolink camaro shells. The 11t motor was an Mtroniks I believe from memory, not the best motors in the world! While the 13t in the TS was a Tamiya Dyna Run super touring which has stacks of torque, revs quite high and is well manufactured.The group C was also running slightly smaller diameter (than stock) F1 type wheels/tyres while the TS was running slightly larger diameter wheels/tyres. This would also affect outright top speed as it is part of the gearing calculation.

The only reason the Avante2001 couldn't be made to beat the TS was the limititation of battery pack fit. I managed to adapt it to squeeze in the 8.4v but no way to get the 9.6v in there. The avante2001 was also running the same dyna run super touring. The other problem is that the Avante2001 is surprisingly heavy for a 'competition' spec car. It is significantly heavier than the TS.

I couldn't list all the variables involved in my speed tests ancd to be honest they could never be used for a true, precise comparison because of changing weather conditions, different battery packs used for each test etc, etc. The group C could only accept 7.2v packs and all my 7.2v packs are old and knackered. The TS will take 8.4v and 9.6v packs and I have many brand new ones of that type. So although I think the speeds are reasonably accurate they are NOT precise or necessarily fair. However, I guess on this topic people are stating speeds achieved when they have all been taken using different methods, with different battery packs and different conditions so I don't think it was unreasonable to quote those speeds I achieved at various times?

In other test I've done the 2 cell difference roughly equates to a drop of between 2-4 turns of a motor. ie. a 23t motor running 9.6v will have the same performance as an identical car with a 19-21t motor and 7.2v. This obviously depends on the quality of the motors and the tests were over short sprints NOT endurance races!