fiend666

Df-03 Which Motor Esc Ect:?

I have recently got back into rc after getting my daughter a lunchbox and building it, i had far to much fun doing it and temptation got the better of me.

So i got myself a Dark impact as i have always liked buggy's,

well the build went great and i have run it a fair few times with some old bits and bobs i had laying around, but i am looking to get a new motor and esc and i dont know what to get for it.

I am quite temtped by the ezrun esc/motor packs that are coming up on ebay lately, but which would be the one i need and how is a brushless going to run with normal racing packs? (i wont have lipo's as i have heard its not just there performance that can be explosive).

So what do you guys rekon one of these cheap brushless setups or a normal esc + brushed?

Any help would be great

Ps Hi im a first time poster long time lurker :-)

Welcome to the TC forums :D

The EZRun brushless works well in them. Highest rating ESC generally lasts the longest as it handles the most load. Motor Kv between 4000Kv and 5000Kv is good. EZRun is 4300Kv. If you want to spend a little more look at the Castle Sidewinder 4600Kv Combo or the more powerful MambaMax 4600Kv Combo (same motor in each package and completely bulletproof).

You WILL need to change gearing. The slipper clutch (#53925) will give you the 82T spur gear (78T and 85T in the kit) and is a highly recommended upgrade if fitting brushless. You will need the 22T/23T 0.5mm DF03 pinion set too (#53082). I run 23T pinion/82 spur in mine. The CVD swingshafts are a must have with any sort of power bolted to DF03 too (#53791).

Ni-MH packs over 3000mAh work best although it will run on smaller packs. Brushless will go as fast as the pack you bolt to it as it will become the limiting factor in the setup. Does not hurt it to run a 1400mAh Ni-Cd Tamiya gold pack, you will notice the drop in punch though over a 3000mAh Ni-MH. It is Ni-MH packs that explode if shorted and are unable to vent. Li-Po catch fire if mistreated. Both as dangerous as each other. Li-Po do have a soft casing and can be damaged easier though.

As the EZRun system has a fan on the ESC heatsink you will need to be careful how it is mounted under the low profile Dark Impact body. Blocking the air flow has nasty consequences. The Mamba fits in with ample room as there is no fan.

img20319_27012009020046_9.jpg

Heaps of room with this layout.

Many thnx i think i will be getting one of these ezrun systems soon then :-)

Couple of other quick questions,

Do the motors produce a lot of heat, ie: do i need to get the motor heatsink that comes with the ms i only have the standard dark impact at the mo?.

The esc should be ok as im going to make a couple of vents in the body.

Also are these new 2.4ghz radio systems anygood i noticed the recievers are tiny and would be very easy to hide one infront of the steering servo.

And are there any hop-ups needed for the df-03 i havnt broken anything yet but im sure i will soon :-).

With the right gearing, motor temperatures should stay in check without the heatsink bars. The EZRun ESC has a fan on the heatsink that needs to clear the body.

The CVDs (#53791) are a must with brushless on DF03. I recommend use of the Slipper Clutch (#53925) with brushless too (and it gives you the right tooth spur).

2.4Ghz radios are worth the cost, extremely rare you will get interference or glitching with them.

Other upgrades to consider are alloy steering knuckles, c-hubs and rear uprights. Wheel bearings get hot when running hard and the plastic gets softish and things start to feel sloppy. Turnbuckle set will make suspension and steering tune much quicker. The Tamiya DF03 alloy shocks are smooth as silk and the other cheaper brands are no comparison.

All of that should make a nice dent in your hip pocket. LOL

Again thnx for the replies looks like ill be getting a df-03ms too sometime then, save buying lots of separate hopups and i may be able to make an df-03ra out of the spare parts :-)

ok 1 more question out of all my old batteries the sanyo racing packs always seemed to be the punchiest but they don't seem to be about much now.

Which 4000+ packs do you guys find the best for performance/runtime vs price?

The DF03MS is a great build and a step ahead of the base DF03 in performance, and you do save a fair bit on the hopups.

I tried 2 brands over 4000mAh, both brands had very short lives and now only charge to around 3500mAh. Venom 4600mAh packs for practice and bashing, honestly, cheap garbage. Of the 4 packs I bought all but one pack is completely dead with 2 cells in each pack venting. Intellect IB4200 packs for racing. These were not cheap. At first they were great, slowly they started to not want to charge fully and would discharge themselves badly when sitting. Needed to charge and use straight away.

Now I've gone back to 3000-->4000 packs, Venom 3000 and 3600 packs, again cheap and nasty for bashing and practice, they have about 200 cycles on them and still charging good with a decent runtime. And SMC IB3800mAh packs for racing, these have been great to date and far better than the problem IB4200's.

I've been seriously looking at the Intellect IP4000 Li-Po 2s 7.4v stick packs (same shape as a Ni-MH) and getting away from Ni-MH completely.

There's heaps of brands out there now in the high mAh Ni-MH. Price generally tells you how good the pack quality is.