MonsterYeti

Wheels For Hi Lift

Just burnt the plastic an ordered a hilift hilux. I want to change the wheels to bigger ones. I'm open to suggestions as to what to get and any requirements regarding the fitting. Over to the experts !!

Well they are 12mm hex fitting. Have a look in the showrooms for ideas, that'll be the best thing for you to do.

I used hpi 2.2 wheels click here other ones are available, i fiited yokohama geolander tyres although im sure there are far better ones but i liked the look of them, you will need to fit tamiya tg10 axles as the high lift ones are too short with bigger wheels and the wheel nut doesn't go on all the way and works its way off while driving. i also fitted the lift kit to jack it up or you will find the wheels catch the body. click here to see my high lift

Personally i think 2.2 wheels look too big. On mine I used the srandard wheels with larger tyres (rc4wd rock crushers).

Just burnt the plastic an ordered a hilift hilux. I want to change the wheels to bigger ones. I'm open to suggestions as to what to get and any requirements regarding the fitting. Over to the experts !!

Hiya MonsterYeti,

Here's how I "corrected" my Hilux High-Lift. Wheels are 2.2 Kyosho with Bruiser tires.

See this posting:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=81160&id=13236

Best regards,

EB

--

Personally i think 2.2 wheels look too big. On mine I used the srandard wheels with larger tyres (rc4wd rock crushers).

Howdy blaketron,

Well, the size of wheels depends on what do you have in mind when building your 1979 SR-5 Toyota Pick-up model. I used 2.2 Kyosho wheels with Bruiser tires and they are not "too big". As a matter of fact, they are the perfect scale representation of a Firestone All Traction Utility 48 incher. Of course, what I had in mind when building my truck was a mid-80's Californian Mudbog racer -that's the reason why 48 inchers do look scale in my truck.

You have a nice day!

EB

--

I just bought these cool 2.0" wheels for my Tundra:

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product.sc?ca...;productId=1467

They will slightly stretch the regular 1.9 tires and look sweet. If you buy aftermarket 1.9 tires that are slightly larger than stock ones you'll really get those wheel wells filled out and look scale too.

Any of these would do:

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product.sc?ca...;productId=1049

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product.sc?ca...;productId=1061

My Choice (not yet ordered):

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product.sc?ca...;productId=1240

Thanks guys for all of your sugesstions, apologies for the delay in replying but the evening i ordered my hilux my laptop died, so the plastic has now well and truly been incinerated !

Thanks guys for all of your sugesstions, apologies for the delay in replying but the evening i ordered my hilux my laptop died, so the plastic has now well and truly been incinerated !

Have you decidied yet ? I'll post pics of the 2.0 inch wheels as son as I get them at the post office.

if you want to lower the Hilux here's a howto:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...04&sid=2958

i like the 1.9 rockstompers or the standard tires and the kit supplied tires

I've made my Hilux kit supplied tires much smoother, by having a bath in WD40 oil for a few hours.

But not too long, otherwise your tires will get ruined.

WD40 oil makes them a little bit larger and much smoother.

I've got a set of blackfoot xtreme wheels to start with. The truck should arrive tomorrow (friday) i cannot wait to get started !

Occasionally you'll see repro Bruiser/Mountaineer tyres on ebay, I've got a set waiting for rims for my HL chassis. The tyres are good quality as well, nice and soft for good traction. I don't know yet as to whether they'll need foam inserts.

+1

I wanted mine to just look like a slightly raised farm style truck so fitted XL Trail Doctor tyres on the standard rims.

Keep meaning to paint the shocks white - will get around to it one day!

post-22523-1233916176.jpg

Well after 2 days building the hilux is finnished, well sort of. I'm now weighing up the final look, it's been painted rover pagent blue, i'm thinking about adding some silver bruiser repro decals, will post some pics when done

I'm now weighing up the final look, it's been painted rover pagent blue, i'm thinking about adding some silver bruiser repro decals

Bruiser decals don't look good on the Hilux because it lacks the rear cab. You might better like to try the Mountaineer ones?

Anyway, please post some pictures of your truck when you can!

All the best!

EB

--

"Bruiser decals don't look good on the Hilux because it lacks the rear cab. You might better like to try the Mountaineer ones?"

have a look at mine.

pic3.jpg

have a look at mine.

VERY nice truck. But it lacks something: the rear cab.

Matter of tastes, I guess.

Y'All have a nice day!

EB

--