Greetings all. I got a MD from ebay a while back and I am going to rebuild it so i thought I share it with you, also in some areas I could do with some advice and guidance.

The actual car was is in very good condition and looks like it has been hardly used. The body has been striped and is awaiting painting; however, the area I first wanted to start with, was with replacing the standard bearings for ball raced bearings. I got a set from this guy, a very good service: http://www.rcbearings.co.uk

I disconnected the gearbox from the car which wasn't to difficult.

p1050025yt9.jpg

The gearbox's exterior appeared to be in good condition

p1050030pc7.jpg

p1050028vh6.jpg

Also when I got the guts out they looked like they haven't seen any real action.

p1050027ry7.jpg

The shafts were a little difficult to get out of their rubber sleeves.

Once everything was taken out cleaned, greased and checked for any damage I started the slow process of rebuilding it with the addition of the new and bearings.

p1050026tf9.jpg

p1050040au9.jpg

I also removed the rear shocks and gave them a good clean

p1050031pp2.jpg

I will add some more pictures with everything together. I was thinking of upgrading the motor any recommendations? Also If I was to add a ESC what is the recommended one.

My next steps are to add a new set of tyres.

Thanks

Hey jack_truck,

Nice work on the rebuild - it looks like it hadn't been used much!

Firstly I'd recommend applying plenty of tamiya ceramic grease to those metal differential gears, if you didn't do so in the rebuild. It makes them last much longer.

For a motor, I wouldn't fit anything more powerful than a super stock BZ (23 turn tamiya motor). It has a good balance of speed and power for the chassis.

I like to use Mtroniks ESC's as they are great value and fully waterproof so you can play in the rain. I got my ta03 absolutely soaked on sunday, around 2 hours of playing and it never had a problem. The ESC was in a puddle at the bottom of the chassis tub!

pug2062.jpg

In contrast, my brothers car lasted 5 minutes on the same wet track, thanks to its tamiya TEU 101 BK esc B)

Hi mymonsterbeetle,

Thanks for the comments and advice. I greased everything with some Teflon grease, I have used it before on similar applications and it worked just fine.

My next step involves removing the old tyres but they have been super glued. I don't want to damage them as they are in good condition and I want to use them for another project. I am going to try some super glue remover, hopefully that will do the trick.

What do you think of the 'RS540 Sport Tuned Motor', it nearly have the price?

Also with regards to an ESC would you recommend this one, is the price good? Here

Thanks

Whoah!! That thing looks spotless! Doesn't need much in the way of replacements, just a clean up at most. Check the rear arm shock mounts, they are very prone to breaking (but can be cheaply replaced with a new C parts tree from goldstarstockists). Concur with the comment re MTroniks ESC I use them in everything and it does come in handy if it's wet.

Got an photos of the body?

Whoah!! That thing looks spotless! Doesn't need much in the way of replacements, just a clean up at most. Check the rear arm shock mounts, they are very prone to breaking (but can be cheaply replaced with a new C parts tree from goldstarstockists). Concur with the comment re MTroniks ESC I use them in everything and it does come in handy if it's wet.

Got an photos of the body?

Thanks Leethal Driver. The thing is clean for sure, I got it pretty much blind of ebay and thank God it turned out good. All the components on the body and chassis are in great condition. The only things I needed were the white pin that holds the battery in place, one wiper and a VW badge . I have even run it and it seemed ok. I will try and get some pictures up of the body tomorrow.

What do you make of this price for the MTRONIKS VIPER ECO20 SPEED CONTROLLER, here

bfst24 wrote

hi mate

nice mb.wish some of mine had come in that condition.

have a look here for more http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46501

i would be careful with the glue remover,you may strip the gold off the wheels too.

Your MB don't look to bad, I have bought some real wrecks in the past, but most of them could be fixed.

I tried to remove the tyres with super glue remover but it didn't work, looks like I am going to have to waste some tyres, a real shame.

Leethal Driver wrote

There's a very good thread on upgrades for the Blackfoot (same chassis) on here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40416

Some great ideas, I'm aleady planning to throw in a couple on my MB.

Thanks. Does anyone know of a service that re-crhomes the wheels.

bfst24 wrote

Your MB don't look to bad, I have bought some real wrecks in the past, but most of them could be fixed.

I tried to remove the tyres with super glue remover but it didn't work, looks like I am going to have to waste some tyres, a real shame.

Leethal Driver wrote

Thanks. Does anyone know of a service that re-crhomes the wheels.

a guy on this forum called loaded is the only person i know of that may.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=71579

i bought a chrome and gold chrome chassis from him.nice guy.

or a new set of rear wheels here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=76313

yeah ive always got something on the boil lethal :lol:

ben

Thanks bfst24, I have PM'ed them. I guess I want this car to be perfect, but at what cost?

I will try and get some more pictures up tomorrow.

I had previously stripped the body with caustic soda, it worked fine on this body but on some projects it hasn't; I guess it reacts differently to different types of paints. Today I gave it a little sand (800 grit) and when I get the time I will get it painted.

p1050042pg8.jpg

p1050041ay2.jpg

The chassis and running gear look good. When I get the time I will power it up and check the that the gear box is working fine after the rebuild.

p1050047ax5.jpg

p1050046yo4.jpg

p1050045xn8.jpg

p1050044pr0.jpg

p1050043gf7.jpg

wow that chassis is clean.

and the nose has the spot light mounts,thats rare.

what colour was you thinking of spraying it?

box art?

I have decided to to keep this one original as I plan on eventually selling it. Unfortunetly I need to because I have got three MBs in total and a box full of parts (it all started from needing just one tire) I will sell two and the one I keep I may customize the paint job, maybe Yellow. I have already got a set of decals from the Tamiya club, they are very good quality maybe better than the originals? .

Whats the best way to paint the black around the window frames?

Thanks again.

I have decided to to keep this one original as I plan on eventually selling it. Unfortunetly I need to because I have got three MBs in total and a box full of parts (it all started from needing just one tire) I will sell two and the one I keep I may customize the paint job, maybe Yellow. I have already got a set of decals from the Tamiya club, they are very good quality maybe better than the originals? .

Whats the best way to paint the black around the window frames?

Thanks again.

wow that sounds like what happened to me.i stopped counting at 5 mb's.

i got a set of all 3 srb decals from tamiya club,and have to say they are very good quality.

i used to paint the window frames with enamel humbrol paint.

but now i use acrylic humbrol as its water based and easy to wipe away mistakes while the paint is still wet.thats how i did the rear grille below the rear window,and door lines.painted the whole area and then wiped off the excess.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360124228884

wow that sounds like what happened to me.i stopped counting at 5 mb's.

i got a set of all 3 srb decals from tamiya club,and have to say they are very good quality.

i used to paint the window frames with enamel humbrol paint.

but now i use acrylic humbrol as its water based and easy to wipe away mistakes while the paint is still wet.thats how i did the rear grille below the rear window,and door lines.painted the whole area and then wiped off the excess.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360124228884

I heard you can use some sort of paint pen, any idea?

Greetings all, I am getting ready for painting and I wanted to know, should I paint the nose cone separately or attach it to the car and then paint the entire lot in one go? I want to get the most authentic look.

Thanks again

Jack

Greetings all, I am getting ready for painting and I wanted to know, should I paint the nose cone separately or attach it to the car and then paint the entire lot in one go? I want to get the most authentic look.

Thanks again

Jack

hi

on my one i blended the nose so sprayed it attached.

but for your one i would spray it seperate.if you spray it attached and need to remove it,you will crack the paint.

I got the chance to apply the top coat today. Everything want to plan and the finish seems good. It has a shine but once the paint has set (after a week or so) I am going to buff it as I want a real mirror finish.

p1050264mt5.jpg

p1050263er0.jpg

p1050266iq0.jpg

looks real good.

thats going to be a long week to wait.i wouldnt be able to hold out.lol

looks real good.

thats going to be a long week to wait.i wouldnt be able to hold out.lol

Thanks. This project has been ongoing for a while now an extra week won't kill me, I hope.

Finally got some pictures of the paint job. I will also take some more tomorrow in daylight as you can not really see the shine with these pictures because of the flash.

p1050340j.jpg

p1050338.jpg

I was really satisfied with the TC decals, they look no different than the originals and they really make the car look the part.

p1050377.jpg

p1050380m.jpg

p1050381.jpg

Nice work! What did you buff the paint with to make it have a shiny finish?