blakeatron

Basher Advice - Cant Decide! *whisperes* Slash?

Got bored, so added a (very basic) review of my E-Maxx to my forum...

Lists the main issues I have had - but bear in mind it is still the best basher I own!

Steve

Well picked my e-maxx up today and settled on a pair of 4900mah li-pos...

Rushed home and charged the batteries up - got about 2900mah out of each on the first cycle. Went out into the road and had a good 10 minutes absolutely flying up and down and jumping kerbs...

Brother in law turned up so we went to the park and got another 25 minutes of hard running and jumping out of it before the power started to drop off.

Just finished charging the batts again and got 4700from one and 5001 from the other - roll on tomorow :rolleyes:

First impressions;

Very quick, needs a wheelie bar, pretty tough (survived numerous cartwheels and heavy landings!) I need to practice with a wheel transmitter!

Nice! you got the white one...right? You will have lots of fun with your E-maxx.

Next thing you know...you will crave for more speed :rolleyes:

I hate to say it here on TC, but Lemming's Maxx & Bag Of Badger's Slash are really impressive. When the guys get them out on a Cider Basher's run, everyone else gets the comparitively fragile Tamiyas out of the way! They are faster than the buggies, jump higher and further than a stadium pickup, need hardly any maintenance and are more indestructable than a monster truck. I'd hate to say they're better in almost every way, but its like driving a fast modern reliable (real) German or Japanese car compared to tinkering with a British classic.

UPDATE!!!

Killed my Emaxx :rolleyes:

The truck has been used like crazy since yesterday - it is just so much fun, on its 5th battery cycle we were wondering just how far we could push it so ventured to the local skatepark...

Was a bit icy but all was going well so we were pushing it more and more (had already broken a lunchbox and durga!) it was flying survivng some major drops.

All of a sudden whilst attempting the big half pipe on full throttle it started to slide, eased off and it snatched back and shot off the side.....

With a major bang it landed at about 45' to the floor on one rear wheel, it kind of crabbed back to us scrapping on the floor - on inspection only the driveshaft was keeping the rear end on!

Went searching on the trraxxas website and found the parts needed (1 rear skidplate set and 1 rear bulkhead set) then ordered them through modelsport, who say they have the parts in - so hopefully they should be here asap!

While I was there I ordered a wheelie bar to help keep the front end down a bit :)

All in all the total bill (including wheelie bar) with express postage was 23 - how many tamiya parts can you buy for that?

There seems to be a trend here towards traxxas, i had the original e-maxx which i thought was great, i now own a slash which i love (just begging for a bit more power), im hoping to get a new style e-maxx again later this year.

Oh how I miss my E. She is a real jumper. Add some RPM skidplates and your stock skids and bulkhead will be reinforced more. I never broke a single skidplate before, even with slam on landings.

CIMG2047.jpg

CIMG2048.jpg

4wdmt - have you got an link to the skid plates you recomended, cant seem to find any - and dont want it to breaka again :rolleyes:

OUCH thats 3 E-Maxxs killed this week!!! :rolleyes: Mine fried its ESC, one phone call to Traxxas and 50 later a new one in the post, not bad when you think of the full cost of a twin motor 16.8v ESC and it was my fault! Lemming's is now RWD only after having fun in the snow here in Swindon, it should not cost much to fix.

It pains me to say it but as a basher, there is nothing in the Tamiya range that could cope with the punishment that we deal out to them. They are waterproof out of the box, require little modification and are low maintenance considering the abuse we give them. It's a real shame that Tamiya are not catching this market, Tamiya kits have the best bodies and decals in the market but are just not strong or fast enough. I know it's great to build kits; I'm waiting for a Boomer from my LHS, when it gets shipped to them and it will get some hop-ups to make it run as I want. It's just that in this weather we are having, I would not consider running any of my off-road Tamiya cars. As I say, it's just a big shame that I feel this way, as I love the big T, it's their cars that got me started in RC and then rekindled my love for this hobby, helping me get through a low point in my life.

Don't mean to offend any one here on TC but it's just my thoughts.

Take care all and drive safe!

blakeatron:

Also, you may find the rear shock tower tends to snap as well. I went through 3 or 4 of the stock Traxxas ones. The I got the RPM one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXBBB7&P=7

No feedback yet though as I only ran it once after the swap but from what I understand is it's much beter/stronger than the stock tower.

I also added Trinity Blue Springs as they are stiffer than the stock ones:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXHWJ7&P=7 (Close to mine)

Oh, and as a final touch the alloy traxxas big bore shocks as some of my stock ones were mangled when the last stock shock tower snapped.

It's not a Tamiya but it sure is a great RTR BASHER !!!!!

post-8889-1234150172.jpg

post-8889-1234150191.jpg

Mine is officially now a 2wd (rwd) Maxx :blink:

Broke to front centre drive-shaft completely. Might be due to snow build-up but not sure. Video of the 2 E-Maxxes running prior to my breakage is going up on TC later this week.

Trying to decide whether to get a stock centre set at 17+ or the RC Best complete set (centre ones and 4 side ones) for 28 delivered from Taiwan. They are hardened metal CVDs with Cups at one end, but not 100% sure on quality...

Easy to find on Ebay, but can't link directly to the auction as per club rules (seller is: RCbest-CA-store). They have specific sets for the "16.8v New E-Maxx"

Steve

EDIT: Not broken the shock towers as I have used cable ties to hold them together as per the recommendations on the Traxxas forums. Seems to be working a treat!

Parts arrived from modelsport today so stripped it down this evening and all is good now - however noticed my rear shock tower is cracked :blink:

Ordered one from an ebay store because modelsport were out of stock and have just put loads of cable ties around it for now, as long as it can last a few days until the new one comes!

I went through 4 rear stock shock towers due to bad landings. The 4th new one is the one it have when I have it sold. The plastic tie wrap doesn't do any good, they break easily even how big they are. I recommend the stranded electrical wire. 3 strands (left, right and middle) will re-inforce that shock tower. My 3rd one got a real beating before it broke. But even then, it is still holding up the tower in place with the full crack on it.

If you want good protection, the RPM tower will do the job., like the one from BTMR.

I went through 4 rear stock shock towers due to bad landings. The 4th new one is the one it have when I have it sold. The plastic tie wrap doesn't do any good, they break easily even how big they are. I recommend the stranded electrical wire. 3 strands (left, right and middle) will re-inforce that shock tower. My 3rd one got a real beating before it broke. But even then, it is still holding up the tower in place with the full crack on it.

If you want good protection, the RPM tower will do the job., like the one from BTMR.

Quite surprised you had problems even after cable ties were used. I have cable ties on mine and even though I have "gravel rashed" them until they are quite shortened and have destroyed the back of the shell no problems at all. Now worried about how long mine will last!

Ordered the shaft set from RCBest. Really pleased at the communications so far - messages at each stage and now a tracking number and shipping details within 24 hours of buying it.

Will update everyone when they arrive

Steve

I bash my brushless E before like there is no tomorrow. We have a BMX course near the park where I live and most of the time, with HUGE jumps..I end up belly side up. If I can remember correctly, my money went in buying 8 stock shocks, 4 shock tower set, a pair of rear bulkheads, 2 hinge pins, a pair of front A arms and rear A arms and a new body. As with the chassis, driveline and other parts, the E held up fine. By the time my rear shock tower was a goner, it also damaged some shocks with it (bent shafts). Thats where I experienced that tie wraps still gives with extreme bashing. It still give extra reinforcement than a bare shock tower.

All in all, no regrets with my past E. It was a real monster truck for bashing, most especially when I installed my Novak HV-Maxx. I drove it for fun. I buy parts by bulk on ebay. Those parted out new parts are so much cheaper.

Now, It is my E-Revo to do some jumping.

Right - this is getting a bit stupid now. Everytime I take it out I break something else - but I just cant stop loving this truck!

Infact I love it so much I have just spent 250 on aluminium parts ;) coming are;

Shock towers F/R

Bulkheads F/R

Skidplates F/R

A - arms full set

Knuckles - full set

Chassis brace

Full set adjustable suspension.

Once this is all fitted I think I am going to go brushless with it.....

Anyone recomend a brushless system?

Ouch! That is going to be a seriously upgraded beastie!!!

If you are going brushless, seriously consider hopping up the driveshafts. If I have managed to kill one with normal motors then I reckon you will need to upgrade them too.

Waiting on mine from RCBest - 28 shipped for all 4 side and both centre shafts in CVD one end with Ball and cup the other. Traxxas branded ones would have set me back 80 in the UK...

I have read a lot about brushless set-ups for the Maxx on the Traxxas forums. Well worth checking there. Castle Creations are much loved, lots of talk about the Monster Max (MM for short) but not sure on details as not tried it myself. Cheaper way to go is allegedly the HV setups from Novak...

You have to put some pics up once finished and also some video of you bashing it. It must get major abuse!!!

Steve

Right - this is getting a bit stupid now. Everytime I take it out I break something else - but I just cant stop loving this truck!

Infact I love it so much I have just spent 250 on aluminium parts ;) coming are;

Shock towers F/R

Bulkheads F/R

Skidplates F/R

A - arms full set

Knuckles - full set

Chassis brace

Full set adjustable suspension.

:o:o

You should have just bought the Traxxas Factory Brushless E-Revo :D ! WOW !

We are not officially getting the brushless revo in the UK ;)

But have decided I will be getting a savage flux eventually - but I just love running the maxx so this will be receiving some attention!

What make are the aluminum parts?

I purchased the updated Novak HV-Maxx 6.5 system on my E before. Now it is on my E-Revo. They come in 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and 7.5 combo. The 6.5 is much faster than stock set-up and I never got any thermal / heating issues with ESC or motor. Runtime and power is great even with 7 cell nimh packs. That is where all my broken parts started showing ;) .

If you are going ultra fast, might as well get the Mamba Monster 1/8 scale brushless and pair it with good lipos.

Most parts are gpm, some american metal and the rest are from a HK seller - Got the parts that were recomended on other forums! Just need to hope they all work with each other ;)

Already got decentish li-pos - so need the brushless kit. Am I right in thinking you only use one motor with all brushless kits?

:) Have to agree on Traxxas and their ridiculous bodies. Had fun running a Stampede a few years ago and sold it because that body is just plain dumb. The cars looks great on their Traxxas website videos and then you take it out of the box. ****!! Oh sorry for the language but thats what I think. Stampede was a blast and handled well for a 2wd truck. I'm not bothered to get stuck 'cause as I always say, "if you don't get stuck, you're not trying hard enough". That is the reason why I would get a Slash before the Maxx or Revo. Tailout with some silly fast motor and a new shell like the HPI Charger should do the trick IMHO. :angry: