Sign in to follow this  
pylamy

Ta01b (manta Ray) & Ta03 Diff Compatibility

Hi,

I'm almost done restoring a Dirt Thrasher, but I'm planning on hopping up the gear diffs with ball diffs. I've noticed that the FF02 gear diff can be replaced either by a manta ray ball diff or a TA03 one. Does this mean that a TA03 ball diff will fit a manta ray gearbox ?

Is the metal one-piece thrust bearing of the TA03's instead of the silly plastic one of the manta ray's a real plus ?

Thanks,

Pierre-Yves

Don't know, I've always wondered what the differences are as well. I believe that the TA03 ball dif is cheaper than the Manta Ray one as well.

Don't know, I've always wondered what the differences are as well. I believe that the TA03 ball dif is cheaper than the Manta Ray one as well.

In practicality, the 03 diff can replace the Mantaray, but not the other way around. The Manta diff has a wider gear, so probably won't fit in the 03. However, the 03 diff will work in everything the Manta diff will. The 03 also has a superior thrust bearing.

In practicality, the 03 diff can replace the Mantaray, but not the other way around. The Manta diff has a wider gear, so probably won't fit in the 03. However, the 03 diff will work in everything the Manta diff will. The 03 also has a superior thrust bearing.

Good news. I also believe that the TA03 thrust bearing looks way sturdier than the manta ray's. Plus these super small balls are a pain in the neck to assemble .

Tx

For the differences just check any TA02 and TA03 manual.

The Manta Ray diff is heavier, virtually non adjustable and relies on shims to get it to drive. The TA03 diff is lighter, easier to adjust, smoother and the amount of slip can be adjusted.

I'm sure you can work out which one is best.

For the differences just check any TA02 and TA03 manual.

The Manta Ray diff is heavier, virtually non adjustable and relies on shims to get it to drive. The TA03 diff is lighter, easier to adjust, smoother and the amount of slip can be adjusted.

I'm sure you can work out which one is best.

Anyone ever tried the 3racing ta03 aluminium ball diff which is cheaper than the tamiya one ? I managed to find a good deal from a hong kong ebay store.

Tamiya original ball diff

3Racing ball diff for M03

****, euro is so strong for the moment. It's definitely worth buying in or $ for us...

The 3Racing diff... I have one on my shelf, that I have not installed. Because they are built like a "normal" ball diff, with the through bolt passing through the joint cups, they can not be installed in the normal manner, they have to be installed in one piece, as pictured. You have to drill or ream the "flanges" that stop the diff support bearings from floating out of the gearbox out to 10mm, to allow the outdrives to pass through. This only leaves a tiny ring, .5mm thick stopping the bearing (and the diff) shooting out of the side of the gearbox!. This could happen with a side impact that pops the top link, and forced the drive shaft into and against the diff.

The 3Racing diff... I have one on my shelf, that I have not installed. Because they are built like a "normal" ball diff, with the through bolt passing through the joint cups, they can not be installed in the normal manner, they have to be installed in one piece, as pictured. You have to drill or ream the "flanges" that stop the diff support bearings from floating out of the gearbox out to 10mm, to allow the outdrives to pass through. This only leaves a tiny ring, .5mm thick stopping the bearing (and the diff) shooting out of the side of the gearbox!. This could happen with a side impact that pops the top link, and forced the drive shaft into and against the diff.

Oh I see. There's no way of disassembling the 3Racing diff so that the outdrives can be placed afterwards ?

No, there is no what to keep it together while it's being installed. And you still have to open up the holes in the gearbox, because there is no gap for the flange between the bearing and the outdrive.

Then why the heck are 3racing making such useless hop-ups? It doesn't even fit an M03 chassis although it's specifically intended for it...

I think I'll go for a couple of tamiya's TA03 then.

Thanks a lot for avoiding me wasting 40 bucks !