pylamy

Pink Bigwig Mooncraft Wheels

Just to extend my personal knowledge...

I've bought a couple of years ago a box of spares from a guy in Austria. There was a pair of pink front "mooncraft" wheels with "the big wig" engraved inside. The seems to be factory-dyed cos the color is perfect and isn't even clogged along engravings. I'm sure they're not made of pink plastic though because worn-out zones show white plastic underneath. Where could they come from ?

Just to extend my personal knowledge...

I've bought a couple of years ago a box of spares from a guy in Austria. There was a pair of pink front "mooncraft" wheels with "the big wig" engraved inside. The seems to be factory-dyed cos the color is perfect and isn't even clogged along engravings. I'm sure they're not made of pink plastic though because worn-out zones show white plastic underneath. Where could they come from ?

Sounds like a home job to me. All of the strange color stuff i have seen from Tamiya cast been cast in that color plastic. But there is a list of all of the limited parts here in the forums you can check that.

Someone dyed them and it wasn't Tamiya. As said above Tamiya moulds parts in the right colour plastic, it's a lot easier than dying them.

Late 80s/early 90s loads of people were dying their own parts, fluorescent yellow, green and pink being favourites at the time. Dyeing parts will always leave a perfect coating, it's not painted on so it will never gather in engravings as anything on the surface is washed off.

I actually have vintage Tamiya dye in flourescent colours, pink, green etc. I will try to look it out, it is in the original packing and I think dates from the late 80's. I would suspect this is the culprit. The material of those wheels is quite similar to synthetic fabrics, so dyes very well.

Paul.

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your very interesting inputs...

Just to keep you informed, they've been sprayed with oven cleaner 3 days ago and nothing comes off. It seems to be some kind of dye indeed. Plastic is quite worn out though. I'm simply planning on smoothing off plastic dents and spray wheels with a less cheesey color...

They will surely be a dye, the only way to remove the colour would be with bleach, but I don't think it would be 100% and you could destroy the plastic if you don't get the amounts right.

Here is a picture of the vintage Tamiya dye from 1993. It is considered a hop up and designated 53130.

DSC_0487.jpg

They will surely be a dye, the only way to remove the colour would be with bleach, but I don't think it would be 100% and you could destroy the plastic if you don't get the amounts right.

Here is a picture of the vintage Tamiya dye from 1993. It is considered a hop up and designated 53130.

DSC_0487.jpg

mine are pink. I think they're gonna get a good underlayer of primer and then painted silver or orange. Just for cosmetic reasons...

tx a lot

Yes, I would suggest something to block the colour dye showing through, then paint them.

good luck,

Paul.