Sign in to follow this  
boborange

Frog Re-re Motor Upgrade

IVE JUST BOUGHT A FROG AND HAVE RUN IT WITH THE STANDARD 540 MOTOR. HAVING READ THE UPGRADES WITH VARIOUS MOTORS AND THE PERFORMANCE INCREASES FOR A LITTLE OUTLAY I WAS WONDERING WHAT MOTOR YOU WOULD SUGGEST?

I KNOW OF THE SPORT TUNED BUT WAS WONDERING IF THE BIGGER SUPER STOCKS WOULD BE GOOD. IM NOT KEEN ON POPPING WHEELIES ALL THE TIME AND THE CHASSIS NOT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE IT BUT I THINK I WANT MORE THAN THE SPORT TUNED. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

I fitted my Hornet with a Super Stock BZ at xmas.

Sadly i've only had chance to use it once since then :( and it was freezin so I wasn't paying much attention but it certainly seemed to pack a nice little punch :P

IMO a bit pricey but its nice quality and suits the car well.

Have you already replaced the plastic bushes with the metal upgrades? If not do that first.

IVE JUST BOUGHT A FROG AND HAVE RUN IT WITH THE STANDARD 540 MOTOR. HAVING READ THE UPGRADES WITH VARIOUS MOTORS AND THE PERFORMANCE INCREASES FOR A LITTLE OUTLAY I WAS WONDERING WHAT MOTOR YOU WOULD SUGGEST?

I KNOW OF THE SPORT TUNED BUT WAS WONDERING IF THE BIGGER SUPER STOCKS WOULD BE GOOD. IM NOT KEEN ON POPPING WHEELIES ALL THE TIME AND THE CHASSIS NOT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE IT BUT I THINK I WANT MORE THAN THE SPORT TUNED. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

First of all, you see that little button that says "Caps Lock" on it? Push it and make sure the little light goes out. When you post in ALL caps it gives the impression you are shouting. It is also harder to read. :P

Anyway, the sport tuned motor is quite adequate. I have one in my frog and it is fast enough, Without risking the frogs fragile gearbox.

The Frog's gearbox isn't THAT fragile that I'd stick to using nothing more than a sport tuned, but an RZ is about as fast a motor as I'd put in a Frog. It'd be a missile with anything more in it. The bouncy front suspension means it becomes very hard to steer, and the short wheelbase means it's easy to flip on higher grip surfaces.

Be prepared for the gearbox diff to wear/separate, so it may need shimming with 5mm shims over time. And the dogbones tend to pop out more frequently with a more powerful motor, so might need to think about the UJ set.

- James

I built my Re Frog with a sport tune motor and the optional cv shafts.

More than fast enough as the frog is so light.

My chassis is well within its limits as i have diferrent shocks all round and handles really well.

You will be surprized on its speed in stock form...

I run my re-re Frog with the Tamiya GT Tuned motor, and an adjustable motormount from ebay, and its great fun. Furthermore, i have added the CRP front shocks and shock towers, so it is less "bouncy" to run now... It also runs on vintage Pro Line rear tyres, and some straight-ribbed / knobby front tyres from YOU-G i believe, both front and rear are put on chromed alloys..

Cheers..

Michael