Sign in to follow this  
pylamy

Tamiya Off-road Wheels And Tires Compatibility

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know more about wheels and tires :

Do 2.2 tires (ie Schumacher) fit Tamiya star dish 4wd wheels ? Same question with Hotshot 4wd wheels...

Do 2.2 tires (ie Schumacher) fit Tamiya DF03 large dish wheels ?

Do " la" top force (ie DF02, baja king...) tires fit hotshot wheels ?

Do Tamiya (#51240) High Density Spike Tires K (4WD/Front,62/25) or 51241 4WD rear tires fit star-dish wheels or hotshot wheels ?

Thanks a lot

1. Very poorly, those wheels are 2.15", and the beads need to be glued and clamped down with rubber bands to seat properly.

2. Yes

3. No, 2.15" onto 2" wheels

4. Poorly and no.

1. Very poorly, those wheels are 2.15", and the beads need to be glued and clamped down with rubber bands to seat properly.

2. Yes

3. No, 2.15" onto 2" wheels

4. Poorly and no.

so :

topforceish tires only with stardish wheels

hotshot wheels need hotshot era tires

DF03 are the most compatible with modern foam insets tires (ie schumacher)

Nevertheless, I came across that article on TC

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=64

that says that schumacher tires can be fitted onto stardish wheels ? How come ?

Hi,

on the same subject, I found an ebay store that sells 2" schumacher cat tyres. Will they fit hotshot-era wheels, which are I believe 2" as well.

Tx

The Top-Force Spike tyre WILL fit onto the 2.2" DF03 wheel. It's a **** tight fit and I have blisters on both thumbs to prove I just did it (You would never need to glue these to the rims). DF-03 and other 2.2" tyres swim on the Star Dish wheels as B.M.T said.

The 2" Schumacher Blue Mini tyre will stretch over the 2.15" Star Dish rims.

The Hotshot tyres are quite grippy in loose dirt and wear well on harder surfaces, why would you want to change them? These are 2" wheels.

The Star Dish wheels will not bolt straight up to a DF03. They catch the inner braces of the wheel on the suspension unless you run thicker drive hexes or spacers.

The Top-Force Spike tyre WILL fit onto the 2.2" DF03 wheel. It's a **** tight fit and I have blisters on both thumbs to prove I just did it (You would never need to glue these to the rims). DF-03 and other 2.2" tyres swim on the Star Dish wheels as B.M.T said.

The Hotshot tyres are quite grippy in loose dirt and wear well on harder surfaces, why would you want to change them? These are 2" wheels.

The Star Dish wheels will not bolt straight up to a DF03. They catch the inner braces of the wheel on the suspension unless you run thicker drive hexes or spacers.

I just have a plain manta ray wheel set for now, and I'm planning on installing a "sexier" wheel set on my DirtThrasher. So I'm studying and considering all options...depending on what I can find on ebay.

Thanks for you input

Nevertheless, I came across that article on TC

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=64

that says that schumacher tires can be fitted onto stardish wheels ? How come ?

As shown in the article 2.2" tyres do fit onto Star Dish wheels. It depends on whether you consider fitting means a good perfect fit or whether they need gluing into place, you have to glue them on while squeezing the tyre bead against the rim. The first thing any Top Force racer did in the UK was throw away the kit tyres and fit a set of Schumacher 2.2" minispikes. Just don't expect them to stay on if you don't glue them.

on the same subject, I found an ebay store that sells 2" schumacher cat tyres. Will they fit hotshot-era wheels, which are I believe 2" as well.
Schumacher still sell the original CAT tyres themselves as Schumacher originals. You can order them direct from Schumacher and they ship worldwide. They are the standard 2" tyre size from the 80s, which includes the Hotshot wheels.

I had a similar problem with using Top Force fronts on the rear - but it was easily fixed: I didn't cut off the remains of the tree well enough on the ends of the suspension arms and they were in the way. I removed them completely so the ends of the suspension arms were smooth and the problem was fixed... :)

I had a similar problem with using Top Force fronts on the rear - but it was easily fixed: I didn't cut off the remains of the tree well enough on the ends of the suspension arms and they were in the way. I removed them completely so the ends of the suspension arms were smooth and the problem was fixed... :)

My problem was more so with the TF front wheel on the front, but only when the steering was turned about 60% either direction. The wide TF rears fit fine to the rear with the 1mm extra on the drive hex. I run TF rears all round on the DF-01 no problems. The wide rears won't fit the front of the DF-03, as I had planned, unless you cut the steering knuckle.

Waow, you guys are so helpful !

To be complete, how about kyosho optima wheels: what size are they ? Would they fit a DB01 transmission ? What modern tires would fit onto them ? It's just that they look so awesome...

Thanks again

Optima 5 spoke wheels are only 1.5" diameter and won't fit on any modern chassis. Turbo Optima 8 hole and the white 8 spoke Mid wheels are 2" diameter and only available as rear width, they didn't have narrow fronts. The yellow vented dish Mid wheels are again 2" diameter and came with narrow fronts.

I don't have a DF03 to try them on but all of these have a good chance of catching the suspension arms. there's also the problem of getting decent tyres for them. If it's the spoked style you like you could use Ballistic Brushless's 2.2" wheels instead that can use any modern tyre.

I'm assuming you meant DF03 as the DB01 uses a different wheel fitting that's only compatible with modern race buggies which all use dish wheels, the only non dish wheels you can get for a DB01 are the JConcepts Rulux.