Live Steam Mad

Jet Hopper - England / Uk Version Box

This little car is what started it all off for me! This was the first R/c I had. It was a birthday present and then for Christmas I upgraded to a Monster beetle! Brings a tear to my eye, all the memories. I think I ended up taking it all to pieces and then painted it like my brothers old Rough Rider in box art livery!

Sorry got all nostalgic, as you were!

Quality of the clips is quite good. They had a different advert in Aus for the Jet Hopper. If I ever come accross it on old VHSs I'll rip it and send it your way.

You have the slotcar ones too? I have a single car, well sort of, another of my younger brother's much 'loved' toys. Had never seen the track for it before.

Quality of the clips is quite good.

That's more to do with my skills as a video conversion-ist :lol: . One of the few things that I am particularly knowledgable about and good at. The quality of them from my sources here, played full screen on my 20" PC CRT is a very small fraction of broadcast quality :rolleyes: Wish I had better source material...

They had a different advert in Aus for the Jet Hopper. If I ever come accross it on old VHSs I'll rip it and send it your way.

Very cool :) Would love to see that. American adverts are OK but of course it's nice to have a change, variety is most welcome. Being British I would say that LOL.

> You have the slotcar ones too? I have a single car, well sort of, another of my younger brother's much 'loved' toys. Had never seen the track for it before.

I don't have the slotcar ones or the Aero Turbo Hopper. The JH slot cars are constantly coming up on Ebay which makes it a chore to find the real JH as every JH you find seems to be a slot car :rolleyes:

I'm still on the look out for a red bodied runner to blast around my back garden track :D

Cheers,

Alistair G.

OK today I received my latest Jet Hopper, the one that I plan on blasting around the back garden with the original motor and some NiMH 'AA' cells. Hope it goes OK on short grass. The tyres are just around the amount of wear where I won't be terrified to use them hard, and they haven't dried out. I am trying to reproduce the Jet Hopper tyres (I have 4 of them in NIP condition), see http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49589. Wheels are in nice condition. The front bumper is missing it's reinforcement but the bumper is in fair condition. The underside of the chassis is in good condition.

The body is particularly good condition (better than I had hoped) and you're right Mark it is a deep red! My other one is a uniform red-orange. There are a few decals missing (including the rear wing one) so I'm going to need a repro. decal set. Any chance of this?!

I just noticed that they put "K C DAXLIGHTER" on the lights on the body and the box picture instead of Daylighter, maybe to side step copyright issues! However a little touch of yellow paint would put things right there! Also I now notice that the red-orange car's box (above) also has this daxlighter and so does the red-orange body's lights.

Someone painted my roll bar and nerf bars! The car is on 27MHz. I hope the Turbo function still works on the TX. I'll report back and see how fast it goes around the short grass Off Road Track!

Blimey there is quite a difference in colour between the as new condition red-orange one and my deep red one (see pic's below).

NOTE that the red-orange body says "27km/h" on the front decal, whereas the deep red one says "25km/h", which leads me to believe that the red-orange one is a newer version of Jet Hopper? As manufacturers got into a war of whose car went fastest! Maybe I have one of the very last production runs of the JH for Europe ? Because as you can see the decals on the new condition car are perfect and completely unfaded it would seem. The body is a completely uniform color inside and outside which leads me to beleive it has not been faded by UV light? One of the SAYS decals on the right hand side was skewed so I removed and repositioned it and it was the same body color underneath the sticker.

It was a slightly used black body with 49MHz chassis, supplied with a new red-orange body, new front tyres, new rear tyres, new front bumper, and new rear wing, suggesting that the red-orange body was spare replacement parts sourced, which may indicate that it's from a production run near the end of the JH 1's life just before it became JH2 ?

This may be true as I have seen someone's JH2 and it was quite an orange color!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

CIMG0522.JPG

CIMG0523.JPG

CIMG0524.JPG

CIMG0528.JPG

post-6936-1239738218.jpg

post-6936-1239738312.jpg

post-6936-1239738350.jpg

post-6936-1239739097.jpg

Here is the PCB from the older controller from the 49MHz black body car which came with the new condition red-orange body on it ;-

ARG.

CIMG0448.JPG

CIMG0447.JPG

post-6936-1239738526.jpg

post-6936-1239738574.jpg

Here is the controller off my latest deep red JH (later revision controller) ;-

The writing says " TAIYO TYP : 8635 " and " RTT/D/X230/00 " as best as I can make out.

This latest JH came from Belgium, I bought it from a French speaking guy.

Cheers,

ARG.

CIMG0530.JPG

CIMG0531.JPG

CIMG0533.JPG

CIMG0535.JPG

post-6936-1239738672.jpg

post-6936-1239738714.jpg

post-6936-1239738788.jpg

post-6936-1239738885.jpg

On my new condition red-orange JH above, the chassis was a 49MHz model, and it came with a black body which was slightly used. This black body had a flat profile front tyre mounted on it's roof as though it was off a later Jet Hopper 2, yet confusingly it's got a black Jet Hopper 1 rear wing!

The 49MHz chassis' controller has no fancy decal on the front, it is the early type with the silver painted logo. This partially matches the box that came with it since the box has the silver painted logo controller (but actually says 27MHz on the box). The original controller PCB says " TY-C1020 " which is the revision 0 board. Thus this is off an early black 49MHz Jet Hopper. The older black car's controller is on 49.860MHz.

The PCB from the newer transmitter from the deep red color car says " TY-C1020-1 " which is obviously Taiyo Controller, part no. 1020 , revision 1. I opened the new controller up and it's on 27.095 MHz (Orange). The box for this later version car shows the new colored logo controller.

Below are pictures of the box on the deep red car. It's a later version box. I think this is true also since the older box above has what appears to be a pre-production prototype car on the front, but the box picture below is of a production car.

Also I just noticed that my later version chassis has much larger springs both front and rear and the rear shocks are a lot larger diameter (compared to my early JH chassis).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Jet_Hopper_later_box_scan_1.jpg

Jet_Hopper_later_box_scan_2.jpg

Jet_Hopper_later_box_scan_3.jpg

Jet_Hopper_later_box_scan_4.jpg

CIMG0538.JPG

post-6936-1239740133.jpg

post-6936-1239741343.jpg

post-6936-1239741455.jpg

post-6936-1239741543.jpg

post-6936-1239741890.jpg

Kai (SuperGreg) has an excellent article in his showroom showing pictures and details of the Jet Hopper MK1 and shows that there is a variation in the FRONT tyres on the MK1 version (earlier has HIGH profile tyres, later one has low profile tyres, MK2 version has wider front tyres) ;-

http://tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n...010152411_7.jpg

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?c...258&id=3226

Note that I have a post on page 1 showing the box which has the box art of the early MK1 car with the high profile front tyres ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=6598

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=6599

Unfortunately though both of my chassis' (nice condition and used condition) did NOT come with the high profile front tyres, only the low profile ones!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Well I finally found my answer from a Jet Hopper on Ebay, and it seems that I have the UK & France box version, the version for the German market was an item imported by Dickie and it had it's own style Dickie box. See picture below. Note the Dickie hippo' logo's on the box and transmitter and guarentee card, and the German language on the instruction manual (and presumably on the box but there isn't enough detail in the picture to make it out).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1281297445_thumb.jpg

I'm taking a different tack with a similar Tyco product....

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry380824

Cool, it would have been a lot easier to fit 1/10 buggy components to my Jet Hopper if it had been bigger, but the JH is only about 1/16 scale and way smaller than e.g. a Hornet. Then again that's a good thing as a 1/16 buggy fits into my mid sized garden a lot better than a Hornet LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Cool, it would have been a lot easier to fit 1/10 buggy components to my Jet Hopper if it had been bigger, but the JH is only about 1/16 scale and way smaller than e.g. a Hornet. Then again that's a good thing as a 1/16 buggy fits into my mid sized garden a lot better than a Hornet LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

The Bandit is actually 1/16 as well (or at least the chassis is the same size as the Jet/Turbo Hopper) My saving grace is that the truck body is much more forgiving than the buggy variety (for instance, the front gearbox is hidden by the hood/bonnet and the cab is the perfect size for concealing the Delta pack once fitted to the upper deck)

I was going to paint the body but I figured that would be a lost cause as I expect it to be on its lid most of the time anyway :lol: