Bearhawk_Boy

Are You A Shelf Queen Collector Or A Rc User?

Are you a Collector or User?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do it all with the exception of NIB collecting. I find nothing apealling about an unopened or unbuilt r/c car kit. This includes the fancy Tamiya packaging. Even my NIB vintage motors get installed in shelf cars... :(

It has happened.

I have actually had this experience 3 times.

Ford C-100

Super Champ

Sand Scorcher

Although I have a 3 year and to be fair, I didn't wake up in the afternoon, chance would have been a fine thing.

P.

It has happened.

I have actually had this experience 3 times.

Ford C-100

Super Champ

Sand Scorcher

Although I have a 3 year and to be fair, I didn't wake up in the afternoon, chance would have been a fine thing.

P.

lol

A three year old. That is what I meant to say.

Wakes up like clockwork, unlike my old bones.

P.

Im not really a collector or an RC user :(

I have about 7 cars, most of these sit in there boxes in the loft, of the one that I do use (Hornet), it gets run once in a blue moon :)

I want to buy either a Frog or a Hotshot but I know it will have the same life as my Hornet and sit in the corner getting dusty :)

All my cars (see sig) are runners that definately get dirty except for the Dyna Storm which is either going to be a long restoration or to be kept as spare parts if I can find a better example but even then it will be getting dirty. I have no shelf queens however I do admire the ones I have seen and as a past military static modeller I can appreciate those and the work that has gone into them. I wont run my cars or trucks through water or push them beyond their capabilities as I do not want to break them but I think they were designed to be built and driven for fun.

A little bit of everything. I have:

New In Box : Most of which have special meaning ot me and probably will not be built - the ones I wanted as a child but couldn't get my hands on (Blackfoot, Wild One, Monster Beetle, Clod Buster, Bulhead & a few others)

New Built/Shelf Queens : I get great enjoyment out of building Tamiya Trucks (and a few cars too) and enjoy adding aftermarket parts as well. Run them ? No. I get less enjoyment from running and more from building, plus I just don't have the heart to "damage, trash, scratch or dent" my builds when finished. But, it's nice to know that if the day comes I have the ability to run them, though on occasion I do give the odd "demonstration" indoors to curious friends (High Lift x 2, TXT-1, Junfac Stealth, Juggernaut 2 & a few others)

Runners : Just one and it ain't from Tamiya ! (Traxxas E-Maxx - I love to "bash" that RTR truck !)

Here are some of my "favourites": ***NO IDEA HOW I GOT THREE POSTS ??? ***

post-8889-1234228796.jpg

New In Box : Most of which have special meaning ot me and probably will not be built - the ones I wanted as a child but couldn't get my hands on (Blackfoot, Wild One, Monster Beetle, Clod Buster, Bulhead & a few others)

New Built/Shelf Queens : I get great enjoyment out of building Tamiya Trucks (and a few cars too) and enjoy adding aftermarket parts as well. Run them ? No. I get less enjoyment from running and more from building, plus I just don't have the heart to "damage, trash, scratch or dent" my builds when finished. But, it's nice to know that if the day comes I have the ability to run them, though on occasion I do give the odd "demonstration" indoors to curious friends (High Lift x 2, TXT-1, Junfac Stealth, Juggernaut 2 & a few others)

Runners : Just one and it ain't from Tamiya ! (Traxxas E-Maxx - I love to "bash" that RTR truck !)

New BuiltShelf Queens : I get great enjoyment out of building Tamiya Trucks (and a few cars too) and enjoy adding aftermarket parts as well. Run them ? No. I get less enjoyment from running and more from building, plus I just don't have the heart to "damage, trash, scratch or dent" my builds when finished. But, it's nice to know that if the day comes I have the ability to run them, though on occasion I do give the odd "demonstration" indoors to curious friends (High Lift x 2, TXT-1, Junfac Stealth, Juggernaut 2 & a few others)

As some members said an r/c is not a static model they are made for bashing ( driving ) sorry

but having one sat on a shelf and one for driving is not that bad. Just feel sorry for all the nib kits that never get made

i would do just what james may did in the top ten toys of all time won a aution for a vintage train set and got in home then played with it

if money was no object ???

RESTORING AND DRIVING IS THE WAY TO GO

Its what they were designed for, to be used. That is what his point was, I watched as well. Interesting programe I thought.

Sure thats not a shop you was in when you took that picture lol

Thats great

I have runners and shelf queens. I let parts availablity determine whether or not a car gets driven. My RC Labs 777 won't ever get run because I can't find one single part for it. Also, why drive my David Jun when I have 3 other TA03's to drive? As far as NIB's go, I fell in love with the Avex Dome after it was discontinued. I now have a runner, a display shell, and a NIB so I can build a perfect one oneday. Actually all my NIB's will get built someday but no need to build them now. Imagine if you bought all the cars you wanted over the years and had them sitting, waiting for you to build oneday. I plan to get a NIB Blackfoot and a few others for just that reason.

Hi,

I have just finished restoring a hybrid Dirt Thrasher / TA02 from a couple of rolling chassis I bought from ebay. It's got a manta ray suspension with TA02 red gearboxes and dark grey chassis (so stylish), rear balldiff and front geardiff. Main hopups are : full ballbearings (except steering), reinforced 4WD shaft, TEU101 speedo and a superstock BZ with 18t pinion gear. Last but not least : body has been resprayed all black. Simple and stunning. Not even considering applying decals. I had tons of fun cleaning all parts, fixing worn out screw holes with CA, regreasing, making sure nothing was missing...basically learning the basics of R/C

Even though i like its style know, I couldn't keep it clean on a shelf. It needs to be driven, just for the fun of it. I chose the TA01B / TA02 chassis over more collectible ones for its reliability, sturdiness and the availability of spares. I totally understand though that the proud owner of a mint egress or avante will think twice before racing it. It really depends on the model.

Plus I have to add it's my first real R/C car and I feel like a kid bashing on a parking lot. You know, when you feel like minutes last seconds...

i am a strong believer that they are made to be used, not sit on a shelf looking pretty. if i wanted that, i'd buy static kits. Mine get dirty, used and abused whenever i can, some, if they are lucky, get a clean or even a rebuild occasionally.

couldnt agree more.

I have 3 running rigs now and they all get abused and rebuilt as necessary...

just look at this!

0002.jpg

Let's see...

Associated RC10L: retired race car, doing some well-earned shelf time

Alfa Romeo GTA: Total shelf queen, but run once

Re-re Hotshot: careful occasional runner

Re-re Grasshopper: Nicely scarred, but not abused

Parma Hemi Coupe: not run yet, but it will be, if only once

Stadium Thunder: currently dismantled awaiting some restoration, but will be run

Pajero Metal Top: Definitely a runner

Re-re Lunchbox: crush, kill, destroy

Yeah. I have both.