Sign in to follow this  
pantablo

Charity Montero Build

yes, I'm making a 4 door, lol...

Those of you that know me know I have a predilection for stretching bodies, lol.

I'm starting another build, to be raffled off at scale nationals with the proceeds going to the American Diabetes Association, http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp .

I'm going to take two pajero 2dr bodies and splicing them together to make an extreme off road 4 door Montero.

These are the inspiration, build will be something between these:

land rover discovery

1extremerover.jpg

Montero

1999-mitsubishi-montero-my-hero-fra.jpg

Plans have been adjusted to include:

- MSD's UTE chassis

- TLT axles (with possible special hush-hush MSD replacement housings)

- MSD Ultimate lock outs

- 1.9 wheels

- MSD 1.9 wheel nut / center caps

- FULL EXO CAGE (reconsidering given my first attempt at brazing, lol)

- Full interior

- 55t motor

- HPI gear reduction unit and GD600 into transfer case.

- 3racing winch

- working lights (headlight, turn signals, taillights, brake lights, license and reverse lights)

-Body will also get the grill remade correctly including US spec headlight lenses (not round headlights) and actual turn signals and taillights instead of painted body.

Why a charity build?

a) I love the building aspect of it but I'm short of funds to do a build for myself. donations have been requested to build the truck, never asking for much, just $1, $5 or whatever can be donated.

:blink: I don't have time to drive the trucks I currently have so adding another just doesn't make sense.

Why Diabetes?

My mom is diabetic and her kidneys failed 4 years ago due to it. She's doing Dialysis 3x a week and my sister and I keep tabs on her health (sister's a nurse) so this is something meaningful to me, as well I'm sure to many others.

Some people I know and from the various forums have donated money to my build. Some have donated parts for me to either use or sell to fund the project. I will be donating my time, materials for the build, miscellaneous materials, motor, etc.

From time to time I may post some parts for sale. I will clearly title them as charity related and all money will be used to fund the project directly.

the fresh bodies

0003.jpg

first cuts just to join the bodies. I use sewing thread to cut the bodies. makes clean tight cuts.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

truggy anyone, lol

IMG_3620.jpg

bodies glued together. 4dr rear wheel arch sits farther forward relative the rear bumper so I cut the flare off carefully and relocated it

IMG_3618.jpg

filled in the hole

IMG_3634.jpg

removed both integral bumpers for a more aggressive look, then had to add some "underbody" to it

IMG_3637.jpg

Montana Scale Designs (MSD) UTE chassis arrives

0001.jpg

tamiya donated NIP TLT axles

IMG_3690.jpg

more parts arrive

IMG_3660.jpg

possible front bumper

IMG_3666.jpg

had a friend make these link mounts to my design

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

started shaping the roof, which is quite different than the 2dr. Here I started the base layer styrene (040 I think) from front to back. see the massive arch and how low the rear is? arch is supposed to go up from windshield to rear.

IMG_3635.jpg

started filling and sanding, using styrene only. No filler. I saturate a thin peice of styrene then use a spatula to force it into the gap, essentially melting it into place.

0005.jpg

0004.jpg

you can see more layering and shaping

IMG_3668.jpg

the basic colors I chose.

1994montero-silverrear.jpg

started setting up the chassis, using a jig to hold the axles in place to help set the link lengths

IMG_3794.jpg

using only a dremel cutoff tool I made this chassis servo mount

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

the 1/8 scale Jeep JK interior fits almost perfectly

IMG_3929.jpg

just needed to stretch it 1/2"

IMG_4199.jpg

RC4WD donated Mud Thrasher tires and dual rate scale shocks. Basic stance and ride height

IMG_3962.jpg

this rig will go to the winner of the raffle as a RTR

IMG_3964.jpg

there will be some scale goodies too.

like this hilift jack I made

IMG_4198.jpg

cooler I made

IMG_4011.jpg

with the bumpers off the gas tank should be more visible so I made one and will use it to house the rx and esc

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

added rear door window mullions, rain gutter

IMG_4249.jpg

the final colors will be the darker silver on the body with the dark trim color below that. window surrounds will get flat black like on the 1:1

IMG_4018-1.jpg

pulled out the dremel again and made a skid for the new transfer case

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

transfer case, donated by Team Raceway is very, very small.

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

the HPI gear reduction unit (silver can between motor and gd600) is a hop up part in converting a Wheely King to a crawler.

overall look as she stands at the moment with final alum wheels, tires etc.

IMG_4404.jpg

I had to take a break from inhaling styrene dust so the body is off to a friends house for some additional sanding, strengthening and he's adding some details such as the US spec headlight lenses, making working turn signal housings and tail light housings.

I should have it back in a week or two and I'll continue from there.

If you would like to donate I would gladly accept anything you wish to contribute. I could still use some money/parts (to sell) as there are some misc things I still need (6-cell 4/5a battery pack being biggest one).

So there you have it.

well, its been a while...

I needed a break from this build so I built the pajero Jtop as a means to get me out of a rut and also to test some things, like brazing, etc...

painted the details.

installed the lenses at the front. still have to make the rears and the rear buckets. not 100% certain on the adhesion of the front lenses...

started installing the LEDs.

Let me tell you, the kit RC-LIGHTS.COM put together is truly exceptional.

painted wheels gloss black as well. just didnt look right silver

0021.jpg

0022.jpg

Wow that's amazing!

Will the windows be covered?

I'm also wondering, how many hours does something like this take???

Great work, very impressive overall!

Wow that is one sweet looking truck. I'm amazed at your ingenuity and craftsmanship. How can I buy a raffle ticket or thirty?

Absolutely awesome, and makes for a great read and picture series. Thanks for taking the time to post it all! Can't believe I missed this thread back in February - glad it got bumped!!

In terms of parts you're after, what do you need?

That's a lot of pics! But that is one sweet looking truck!

This is simply amazing. I to cannot belive I missed it in feb. Suprised there has been such little input. Have a bump on me.

hey! my montero looks like that one in the second to the top pic, except min is all stock.

nice builds!! if it rins anything like the real montero off road itll be hard to stop!