MonsterYeti

Am I Odd ?

Now i'm setting myself up for a real pasting here. Could i be described as odd as i have never liked any of the buggies !

Not even the ones that look like the real thing, vintage types? Rad22Rad's Sand Rover and Super Champ look like you could almost get in them and drive off (if you were 5" tall that is. :) ) There's many similar in showrroms that very much look like they are 1:1 and you need to look hard to see something to give it away as an RC.

New buggys, yeap.. Space ships on wheels! My DF-03 MS was an attempt to make it not look like a spaceship, not real successful I feel.

Odd is relative, harder is to define normal.

TA-Mark_58346-05.jpg

Now that's odd ^^

That's a fair call.

Most buggies I've owned have been turned into trucks or on roaders or rally cars or drag cars or......................

Edit: After reading Mark's reply, I realised I didn't think of realistic buggies. They don't count.

Space pods like Raiders or any Schumacher are what I'm referring to.

No you are not odd. I am not very keen on the new style buggy's like the gravel hound and rising storm type.

However I think the vintage buggy's like the Hornet, grasshopper and frog look great. Especially my frog.........

DSC_0016.jpg

Well - it isn't odd really. 99% (or more) of the buggies sold today look absolutely hideous. I think the last good loking 2WD buggies were the RC10's, Dyna Storms and such. Modern, slightly space-age but they actually still look good. And of course, scale buggies are a completely different thing, although you should count them within the 'buggy' range (it's that where all those buggies of today are directly or indirectly related from in design).

As for 4WD buggies... Are there many 1:1 4WD buggies? Name me one if there is, I can't think of one... 4WD probably began their own lifeline at the point where 2WD buggies were converted to 4WD? 4WD buggies don't pretend to be anything existing in 1:1 I think... Unlike 2WD buggies, stadium trucks, truggies (or is it a synonym for stadium truck?), monster trucks etc.

And CR01Nut - I might be odd at this (or let's say I AM odd at this because many people like them) - but I think design of the Frog is absolutely awful :) The front suspension is one big block, the body itself has nice lines but is put on that ORV chassis, making it much too bulky and high... Same goes for the Hornet, Grasshopper and the Rising Fighter really...

As for 4WD buggies... Are there many 1:1 4WD buggies? Name me one if there is, I can't think of one... 4WD probably began their own lifeline at the point where 2WD buggies were converted to 4WD? 4WD buggies don't pretend to be anything existing in 1:1 I think... Unlike 2WD buggies, stadium trucks, truggies (or is it a synonym for stadium truck?), monster trucks etc.

Have you played Colin McRae DiRT? The 2 buggys in there are 4WD and based on real comp buggys. Look nothing like the spaceships the RC companies expect us to like.

Same goes for the Hornet, Grasshopper and the Rising Fighter really...

I need to finish my GH so I can change your mind on it not looking scale. The VLB wheels are off it now, was fun to drive like that though. Went over anything and wheelied everywhere.

Um, why does it seem that many are defending buggies by saying some are "scale". The man don't like buggies!!! He said nothing about them not being scale at all.

I personally don't like the road cars one little bit, scale or no scale. The older ones are nice, but the newer ones are so generic. I don't get the crawler thing either. The are interesting from a technical POV, but the look are far our as modern buggies do.

As for spaceship buggy shell, I think that to do with cost and function.

And I how is the Avante ugly? Any one who thinks that doesn't deserve eyes. Its certainly a "space ship", but its still beautiful. The chassis alone is a work of art.

Wild One? What's the appeal?

I agree with CR-01nut :) The vintage type buggies do look better then than rising storm for example because i feel they are more realistic-perfect example the Wild one as Gruntfuggly said :D But on the other hand....as long as its tamiya it doesnt matter :)

If you dont like buggies it doesnt mean your odd,everyone has there own opinions... im a massive scale fan myself :)

I think I like buggies too much. I have nowhere to actually run them properly (only bash sites I have near are long grass, or tarmac), but I can't stop buying them. Re-re Grasshopper is currently looking like a bargain purchase.

No, you're not odd. I've have a co-worker who raced Custom Works dirt oval suff back in the day and he hates buggies. I could have cared less if on-road pan cars even existed back in the 80's and they were a big part of RC then. Does that make me odd? I have the same problem with buggies that HereBeMonsters does though. I like them, but trucks are far better suited to the terrain I have around me.

And CR01Nut - I might be odd at this (or let's say I AM odd at this because many people like them) - but I think design of the Frog is absolutely awful :lol: The front suspension is one big block, the body itself has nice lines but is put on that ORV chassis, making it much too bulky and high... Same goes for the Hornet, Grasshopper and the Rising Fighter really...

You are insane and totally wrong. I think you will find the front suspension is TWO big blocks. :lol:

But seriously, thats just your opinion and I think the frog is a great car. It manages to have almost as much character as a lunchbox, but it can go around corners. :P

You are insane and totally wrong. I think you will find the front suspension is TWO big blocks. :lol:

But seriously, thats just your opinion and I think the frog is a great car. It manages to have almost as much character as a lunchbox, but it can go around corners. :P

But whereas the Frog is ugly, the VLB isn't :P

It's just a matter of opinion indeed, everyone should buy what he/she likes to... So if you enjoy having the Frog that's fine with me :lol: As long as there are cars out there that I like I can't complain!

But whereas the Frog is ugly, the VLB isn't :lol:

I thought I was the only one here who thought that! Best thing to do with that chassis is to stick a Brat shell on it. IMO it's the second most ugly Tamiya ever made...can you guess the first?

can you guess the first?

The VLB of course. :lol:

Who came up with the idea at tamiya of putting a VAN on top of a off road chassis that cant go around corners to save its life, and rolls over when you go backwards and turn.

The VLB of course. :P

Who came up with the idea at tamiya of putting a VAN on top of a off road chassis that cant go around corners to save its life, and rolls over when you go backwards and turn.

...And to top it off a Styrene body! Breaks easier, makes a higher centre of gravity... But you simply can't hate it for what it is (Partly because it's based on real 'monster vans'). And to be honest - 1:1 Monster trucks don't make sense either :lol: Unpractical, expensive unstable and handle like **** - So I think Tamiya did rather well on the handling front as well! :lol:

Nope. Hotshot by a country mile. It has NO proportion. It's rubbish!

:lol: I thought that at first, too! I started to like it though and some people have made stunning cars out of it - it really needs replacing the wheels and tires and replacing the boxart scheme for something better.

For me it's the Hornet/GH/Frog, BigWig, Sonic Fighter the Neo Falcon and ALL the DF02 cars...

Big laughs at all of this :-D

Everyone has a different opinion, which is a good thing.

I used to think the Wild Willy comical and out of scale, but it has really grown on me. I also never loved the Wild One or Avante, but both have grown on me in the last 3-4 years. I guess it is important to realise that even one's own taste changes and designs can be too avant-garde for a particular way of thinking and not appreciated until later. Way later in some cases, the Avante STILL looks really advanced and futuristic, but not in a Super Sabre/Manta Ray/Hirobo Alien kind of way.

Paul.

Well, just goes to show how diverse 'our' hobby is,and how like everything is driven by personal choice, me i like trucks

Now i'm setting myself up for a real pasting here. Could i be described as odd as i have never liked any of the buggies !

your normal! i too hate buggies. trucks are the way to got. thats why i love my f-150 Rally Truck!

:P Whaaaooo, so many different opinions. Like it, don't like it as long as you enjoy the ones you do like. I have cars mostly shelf queen Rally cars, some buggies, only run my Baja king, and then the trucks and good old Vanessa's top heavy fall over and can't handle Lunchbox. And the ones I enjoy most...................

ALL OF THEM!!!! :)

I bought all of them to enjoy and yes had some mixed feelings and reactions from people who looked at them. That ones this and that ones that, so what, I love them all and as always someone here at TC gives me inspiration and new ways of thinking so who knows, might just get me that VW Golf. :angry: