scoobyryan

Sport Tuned Motor And Tamiya Super Stock Motor

Hello

i want to get a new motor for my tt-01 and was going to get a sport tuned one but i have now seen the tamiya super stock motor aswell.

will my teu-101bk esc be able to handle the super stock motor (as they are both 23 turn) and are they much better than the sport tuned ones?

thanks

Tamiya Sport Tuned is almost the same motor as a silvercan, just 'tuned' with some advance for better performance and still 27 turn.

Super Stock RZ,TZ and BZ are 23 turn motors and out of spec for the TEU-101BK. Use at your own risk.

Many have used that ESC with the superstock motor. Its a risk but you can reduce the risk by lowering your gearing.

We over heated that ESC with Sports tuned in a TL01 on grass. But it was just the thermal cut out and it worked after if had cooled.

Tamiya Sport Tuned is almost the same motor as a silvercan, just 'tuned' with some advance for better performance and still 27 turn.

I thought the Europe/Asia one was a 23 turn?

GT Tuned is far better, i had it in my TT01 and now run it in my Lunch box. Got mine for 12 new. Just run it it from new with 2x 1.5v AA batteries in the forward direction for about 15mins to wear the brushes in and off you go, easy to clean too if your bashing.

Works fine with the stock ESC.

Hi,

I am currently using a superstock bz with a TEU-101BK, but I lowered the stock gearing (18t instead of 21). I haven't had any problems yet. As I read on many forums, some people believe that Tamiya, a hobby manufacturer, would rather ensure durability of its devices over super sharp performance, thus the TEU 101 would have been made to handle hotter motors (up to 19 turns). I guess that Tamiya doesn't say so because they don't want to hear about unhappy customers complaining about the reliability of their esc's.

If you ask what the limit is on a TEU101-BK there will always be someone else who will reply with a "I run it with a 12 turn motor okay" reply. Some people believe Tamiya has way underspecified the TEU101-BK, in reality it's more a quality control issue. The TEU101-BK is built down to a price, so the quality of the FETs used is variable. The FETs are rated for the job they do, but we know these ESCs are used in a wide range of vehicles. The same ESC is used in a big wheeled truck, so not surprisingly you can often get away with a bit hotter motor in a lightweight touring car.

Now Tamiya makes hundreds of thousands of these ESCs. The quality of all the components will vary with those sort of numbers, so some of the FETs can only handle 30A, others will handle 50A without blowing up. Depending on which ones end up in the ESC depends on what experience you have. There are plenty of people who will state that the TEU101-BK can handle a 19 turn motor, purely because their own example can run that motor in their car with their driving. In a large enough space and some motor detuning I'm sure I could get one to run a 12 turn motor quite happily by careful driving. At the other end of the scale there are those ESCs that happen to be full of the low quality FETs, which have been known to blow up with the kit 540 motor if pushed, although this is quite rare. If you have a good one that has a full set of the best FETs you can run relatively hot motors on them with no problem, but saying one particular motor in one chassis works fine does not mean it will work fine with another TEU101.

A lot depends on what car it's in and what gearing it has. A Monster Beetle has bigger wheels so even though the gear ratio is lowered the motor is still having to turn the extra weight. This puts more strain on the motor, so puts more load on the ESC. I have seen a TEU101-BK run all day with a 15 turn motor, but it was on hard sand at the beach so it was running full speed all the time so very little load on the motor. When it was being run in a confined area so it was stopping and starting all the time it would shut down within a couple of minutes.

Tamiya rate it for the kit motor or a Sport Tuned which is the same 27 turn motor with more advance. You can try it with anything else, but if it blows up you have no one to complain to. If you want something really cheap that can handle better motors have a look at the Etronix Probe or Dynamite Tazer.

If you want to stick with the TEU then I'd go for the GT Tuned as well. In a TT-01 for bashing you can probably get away with a Super Stock as well as you aren't stopping and starting all the time. If you want more performance you are better off investing in a better ESC to go with a faster motor.