HereBeMonsters

Scale Runners

Not entirely sure a crazily-jointed crawler is what I'm after at the moment, but I've really been liking a lot of the scaler stuff that people have posted up recently. Something like a Land Rover would be great, but I see the Tamiya Pajero is amazingly cheap right now.

Would that cope with a bit of off-road running, through ditches, leaves, tree stumps etc.? I'd like a kit I could make up, waterproof ESC is a must...

Other options around that price range (under 150, including delivery) are the Losi Mini Crawler, Yokomo Crawler, but I'd like something more scale-looking. Ideas?

Hi Benji,

I've a Tamiya Pajero and a Losi Mini Crawler but can't help you on the Yokomo I'm afraid (though I did buy an SD12-TR which has somewhat tainted my view of Yokomo).

Anyhow, check out the ukrcrc forum for details of the runs with a couple of Pajeros down at St Catherine's Hill in Bournemouth. Mine was bog standard other than both diffs locked and it performed excellently getting up and down some mighty slopes. I wasn't expecting much after I'd built it but it performs really well even with a standard Tamiya Silver can motor and teu101bk esc. I now have funky alloy wheels and a 55t motor (still running fine with the old faithful TEU101BK). I have to say the Pajero is a pretty good intro to scale crawling / trail running. Especially if you lock both diffs. I also have a hi-lift which I've hardly run as the Pajero is much more fun (stands back and waits for the criticism - I guess I just can't get on with sticks and 3 speeds when a simple steerwheel control and 1 gear is just as capable)

On to the Losi Mini Crawler and all I can say is awesome. I had mine in France last week in the snow and ice and it far outperformed what I was expecting. It was unbelievable what it got up and over. Mine is standard other than running big 2.2 junfac beadlock wheels with HPI geolander tyres (and a bright yellow truck body so I could see it in the snow!! - stock is really thin 1.9 tyres though they are quite grippy). The snow and ice mounds that crawler got up was awesome. I would get up early at 7am when it was minus 7 or 8 outside just to get a bit of runtime with the mini crawler and I could have stayed out crawling snow and ice all day (but my wife wouldn't have let me obviously ;-). General reviews of the truck are good. I toyed with the losi and an Axial AX10. But I already have a Gmade Spider 1/8th scale monster crawler (also awesome but totally unaffordable now given the exchange rate) so wanted something small I could pack in a small rucksack.

The Losi mini crawler packs a lot of capability into a small package. If you're interested let me know and I can bring both the Pajero and Losi down to Bransgore next week (or when you're next down) and you can see what you think. There are some pics of both trucks in my showroom. I'll be posting some snowy ones when I get a mo in the next few days.

With the Pajero obviously you get the kit but have to supply the RC gear (rx/tx/servo/lighting system). WIth the Losi, it's more 170 than 150 but you do get an full RTR (completely RTR, all the batteries and all) and a 2.4ghz Spektrum radio system included.

I've had a losi MLST in the past which have been a pain and a mini baja which was not much better. But I can't praise the losi mini crawler highly enough by comparison. And you get about 30-40 minutes runtime out of one small battery which is included in the package. It dunt get much better than that (though you do get an equally long run time out of the Pajero and most crawlers compared to normal rc cars).

Hope that helps a bit.

Pete

Cheers Pete - I have missed the last four weeks at Bransgore due to a combination of things. Shifts, snow, broken car (so I couldn't drive down there) and last night I just totally forgot it was Monday, as I was working over the weekend as well.

I will be making a special effort to get down there next week. I have seen the Pajero up close, but didn't know how it would handle rough terrain. Not seen the Losi though, so that would be very interesting.

I'm not too fussed about the RTR aspect - I have more than enough spare kit to make up a runner from a kit, and the wheel radio you get with the Losi would have to be junked straight away for a stick anyway.

I also imagine a Pajero with an MTtroniks ESC and Traxxas waterproof receiver would be a bit more waterproof than the Losi?

I just don't understand why I can seem to get the Pajero kit for around 120 delivered, when all other scale stuff is around 100 more. The new Wrangler for example.

The XC/CC-01 can handle all sorts of off-road terrain - its only the front ground clearance that lets it down a little - but other than that its great - the Pajero will make an excellent introduction to scale off-roading.

I started with a Touareg CC-01, progressed to a High-Lift Hilux and am now finishing off a custom build with Clod body, TLT axles and an Axial transmission :)

Go for it! :D

DSC00832Medium.jpg

Also in my price range is a Brat. I love the scale looks of this, perhaps if it was lowered it would look even better. If I locked the rear diff, would that work almost as well as a 4x4?

Also in my price range is a Brat. I love the scale looks of this, perhaps if it was lowered it would look even better. If I locked the rear diff, would that work almost as well as a 4x4?

Before I bought my Touareg I used a Mud Blaster with a lathe motor and a locked diff (locking the diff was messy and a pain with the ORV gearbox) and it worked quite well, but I would not choose one over a CC-01 as the 2WD is a major limiting factor.

You would have more success scale offroading with a TA01/02 fitted with CC-01 wheels like the #58161 Ford F-150 or Hummer than with an ORV chassis. Geared right of course and lock atleast the rear diff.

Save and wait until the Wrangler is released. I'm going to grab one as well.

I think I'll probably get the CR-01 Wrangler as my crawler, but later. I wants a XC now!

I think I'll probably get the CR-01 Wrangler as my crawler, but later. I wants a XC now!

Wrangler is being re-re'd as a CC-01 again isn't it? I'm grabbing one if it is.

An XC/CC is an excellent chassis. I have two and love running both of them. Quite capable out of the box with only one diff locked, with both diffs locked they will impress you a great deal.

If you are a tinkerer, you will like the chassis as there is planty of scope for modifications. If you dont like tinkering it is still a great scaler.

I also have a Highlift which is also great, and a CR-01(no matter what anyone says the CR isnt a scaler) and a Hummer which impressed me the other week running with 1 locked diff and highlift wheels and tyres, it went pretty far round our scale off road sections.

My Brat doesnt get that far, its hard work trying to get the tyres to grip a little!

PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING - SCALE OFF ROADING IS VERY ADDICTIVE, ONE MODEL IS NEVER ENOUGH

Right, I've taken the plunge and ordered a Pajero (with full sealed rubber bearings) from StellaModels. Going to paint it up like the one my Dad had back when we lived in Bangladesh, although that was a 4 door. Can you buy scale roofracks for these?

It will be running a waterproof ESC, receiver and servo. Need to find a way of waterproofing battery and connectors, and possibly motor as I seem to have ruined the VLB's BZ motor already...

How do you lock the diffs btw? Just use glue instead of grease on them? :P

Right, I've taken the plunge and ordered a Pajero (with full sealed rubber bearings) from StellaModels. Going to paint it up like the one my Dad had back when we lived in Bangladesh, although that was a 4 door. Can you buy scale roofracks for these?

It will be running a waterproof ESC, receiver and servo. Need to find a way of waterproofing battery and connectors, and possibly motor as I seem to have ruined the VLB's BZ motor already...

How do you lock the diffs btw? Just use glue instead of grease on them? :lol:

no need to glue the rear you can buy the locking kit im not sure if the re re kits comes with them..

as for front thick grease . hot glue gun or plenty of blue tack but ive never locked my front diff on any of my pajero's never needed to..

as for battery plug i guess you could put some window silicone in the plug were the wires are on show all the time not in the bit were the plugs join...

..c

Good job on the pajero - you wont be dissapointed, although they are quite quick to be true scale.

Proline have just released a scale roofrack, but as yet I have only seen them on ebay USA - they also make nice scale accesories :lol:

I would only lock the rear diff too - the turning circle and handling will be badly affected with the cc if you do the front (mine was when I tried it)

You dont need to waterproof battery connections as the resistance of water is too great to cause any problems with just 7.2v. You could switch onto other connectors rather than tamiyas to aid with this.

When I go wet running I give a quick blast of wd40 before, bash like crazy, wd40 straight after (let it cool first) then let it really dry out properly infront of the fire.

I forgot to add you can get pro-line roof racks winches & the jack - cooler scale sets from uk i found a shop online the other day...ross models may also get them in for you but i'll add the shop i found im a moe ..

c.

The re-re Pajero does come with one diff lock set, and its easy enough to lock the front diff with a spare spider gear from the rear diff. No need for messy hot glue or blue tack in the front diff.

AW grease can help to give a limited slip action in the front diff, I did so when I originally built my re-re Pajero but my quest for climbing got the better of me so I locked the front up as well.

The steering is not brilliant on a stock XC, but it can be made to steer like a touring car. I have done a how to in my showroom

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...24&id=17608

Motor choice is very individual, I run a Yokomo 35 tun drift motor in my XC Land Rover, and it gives awesome slow speed grunt but also a very nice scaleish V8 speed as well. My Pajero is powered by a Yokomo 48 turn Super Scale motor and this gives gobs of torque and a nice wheel speed plus a 3000mah battery can last for well over an hour`s running.

GB Models near Swadlincote has most of the Proline scale accesories in stock, no website give Rob there a call.

Hi have a look at my G4 disco the chassis is a cc01

these photo's were taken at St Cathereins Hill in January very good day had to come from Mortimer nr Reading to go but it was worth it

normal_Dscf4695.jpg

normal_Dscf4696.jpg

normal_Dscf4697.jpg7

normal_Dscf4698.jpg

normal_Dscf4699.jpg

normal_Dscf4700.jpg

normal_Dscf4701.jpg

normal_Dscf4702.jpg

normal_Dscf4703.jpg

normal_Dscf4704.jpg

I've done some improvments sence these photo's were taken but it's basicly the same locked the diffs differnet motor :lol:

these photo's were taken at St Cathereins Hill in January very good day had to come from Mortimer nr Reading to go but it was worth it

I know Mortimer, first place I ever got served alcohol in the village shop there - New Year's Eve 1997/8! (I was fifteen!)

Looking forward to getting my Pajero now, seen a few about today that are giving me paint ideas. Land Rover shells always look great though, where did you get that one from?

The other good stuff for locking diff is polymorph. You get it in bags off ebay for a few quid. Little white polymer balls which, when put in hot water go soft and pliable and can be moulded in to shape to fit. You just squeeze a few together then push them into the diff gears. The good thing is that when cool, it goes hard again meaning that it is non-permanent and easy to take out of a diff if you want to unlock it. But it gets into all the nooks and crannies before it cools to do a good job of locking it too. And it's reusable. Just stick it bacfk into hot water and it goes all pliable again.

Good choice on the Pajero Benji for a scale vehicle. But I tell you, that losi mini crawler is brill. I'll try to bring them both down on Monday. I've also just uploaded a couple of pics of my hol last week in France with the Pajero and LMC.

Pete