Jammer

Retro Racers At Hinckley Radio Controlled Car Club

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure what the club's policy is on uncased LiPo packs, I'll check and get back to you.

Cheers

James

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately LiPo packs need to be in a hard case for safety reasons.

Modelsport are doing a good deal on Orion Lipo packs at the mo if you're interested?

James

Thats ok James, I had thought that would be the case ;).

I have run both the Yokomo and one of my Cougars today on some Reedy 2000`s, both seem to go well. I will get some hard cased LIPO`s soon tho, seems the way forward ;).

I am planning on being there for the Retro Racing this weekend. I will be racing my Subaru Brat - hopefully adding a bit of non-buggy retro character to the starting line up and give Jammers froggy a bit of race! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

One thing anyone new to racing at Hinckley may like to consider in advance is how to mount the club transponders to your car - you may not be too keen to ream a hole in your vintage shell to pin it through! I'm sure Jammer can give us some suggestions -over to you James!!

I am planning on being there for the Retro Racing this weekend. I will be racing my Subaru Brat - hopefully adding a bit of non-buggy retro character to the starting line up and give Jammers froggy a bit of race! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

One thing anyone new to racing at Hinckley may like to consider in advance is how to mount the club transponders to your car - you may not be too keen to ream a hole in your vintage shell to pin it through! I'm sure Jammer can give us some suggestions -over to you James!!

I've found that a piece of scrap lexan make a good transponder holder...just find a suitable place on the chassis to either screw, stick or velcro the holder to. Make sure the transponder is mounted away from power cables and level to ensure a strong signal for the receiver loop. At HRCCC, the receiver loop is mounted above the track, so ideally you'll need to mount the transponder in the cockpit/roof area of the chassis as close to the loop as possible.

The transponder is the typical AMB hand out type used by clubs, which is approximately 30mm x 30mm x 12mm with a 7mm diameter mounting lug. Remember to bring a large body clip to secure the hand out transponder to the holder. Alternatively, if you have a personal transponder, you can us that.

James

Just another quick question, I have reread the thread and cant see any mention of this.

Are re-releases allowed? ie the Brat, Manta Ray etc?

Hi Andy,

The answer is yes provided the original model was first produced pre 1996 - I perhaps should have made that clearer in the first post.

So your examples of the Subaru Brat and Manta Ray are fine as the original cars were first produced in 1983 and 1990 respectively.

The idea behind including re-released models, especially those currently available, is to encourage people who haven't got an old buggy to buy a re-release and participate. It also makes sense on a practical level as there's a better chance of parts availability - which is why I'm running a Frog.

James

Both my Brat and my Frog that are coming racing this weekend are re-re's. Hope to get some originals racing as summer progresses but it's taking me longer to get my old cars back into a usable condition. Hopefully in weeks to come I'll be racing a Wild One, Bear Hawk, original 1987 Ultima, maybe even an Optima if I get around to it. The re-re's are the easy option at the moment! Ofcourse the re-re option is only an option with Tamiya cars - retro anything else is going to be genuinely vintage. There is a couple of other ways of racing a currently available car in this class. The Mardave Cobra is again available and design has changed little over the years, and similarly the Traxxas Bandit is still available having started its life in 1995 - need the motor swapped back to a standard 540 though to meet the stock silver can motor rule. Anything else you can think of James? Remember this is a racing class intended to be fun - a run what you brung sort of racing - designed to get mothballed cars out of lofts and garages and sheds and back on the race track for some relatively cheap racing. The cut off date for models is to try to differentiate between the modern thoroughbred RC race cars and the garden RC run around that more people have owned and loved over the years.

Thanks for the confirmation James, I too have a re-re Brat but with a blackfoot hard bodyshell fitted.

I have managed somehow tho, to get my Yokomo Hotdog and one of my Schumacher Cougars rebuilt. The Cougar is flying :), the Yokomo needs some bigger pinions.

Tell you somet, its totally alien to me to be running standard motors always ran modifieds hence the lack of larger pinions :P

Oh by the way, if anyone is wondering what I look like, I will be a big bloke in a silver pug 406. I will be bringing along some other models as well :lol:

It shouldn't be too hard to spot the bloke with the Blackfoot shelled Brat!! Be great to see you there - I think you'll have no trouble finding us - the retro racer cars are fairly easy to spot among all the characterless modern racing UFOs!

Thanks for the confirmation James, I too have a re-re Brat but with a blackfoot hard bodyshell fitted.

I have managed somehow tho, to get my Yokomo Hotdog and one of my Schumacher Cougars rebuilt. The Cougar is flying :lol:, the Yokomo needs some bigger pinions.

Tell you somet, its totally alien to me to be running standard motors always ran modifieds hence the lack of larger pinions :lol:

Oh by the way, if anyone is wondering what I look like, I will be a big bloke in a silver pug 406. I will be bringing along some other models as well :lol:

Andy,

When you check the overall times from the heats, I think you'll be surprised how close the pace is between the vintage class and 2WD (despite them making use of brushless motors etc.). I think the main difference between the two classes is consistency - although the vintage buggies may be running a bit slower, they're easier to keep on the track - which is great, especially as we're trying to encourage newbies and vintage enthusiasts to racing. However, for the more experienced racer, the vintage class offers something different to "characterless modern racing UFOs" (that one's for you Richard ;) ) and provides a challenge in getting the most out of the technology - similar to Mardave V12 racing. There's something for everyone with vintage racing...

I'm planning to get to the track for about 12ish - Think Richard is doing the same. We'll look out for you - you're more than welcome to pit with us if you like?

See you tomorrow chap...

James

We aim to be there for 12ish as well, will hopefully be able to pit closeish :lol:

When are you planning on racing at hinkley agian as I was a way for the first meet.

Hi Dean,

There will be meetings every Saturday until the first week in September.

Fancy coming next Saturday?

James

Had a great day last Saturday, apart from both of us getting a dose of some sort of food poisining or somet like it!. And no we didnt have a burger or hotdog.

Thanks for the warm welcome, James, Eddy and Andy. Had some great tussles especially with Andy in the final. Still gutted that I broke one of the rear wheels on my Cougar.

We will be back probably starting again in June.

Lunchbox race still a goer?

Had a great day last Saturday, apart from both of us getting a dose of some sort of food poisining or somet like it!. And no we didnt have a burger or hotdog.

Thanks for the warm welcome, James, Eddy and Andy. Had some great tussles especially with Andy in the final. Still gutted that I broke one of the rear wheels on my Cougar.

We will be back probably starting again in June.

Lunchbox race still a goer?

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you and Dawn got the lurgy...

It was good to meet it up; your presence certainly added something to the racing and, from comments made during and after the racing, helped to show some of the regular racers how good the retro class can be when there's a few running at a similar pace.

Pity your Cougar gave out on you - you and Andy were having a great battle for first spot.

Looking forward to seeing you and Dawn in June. I'll keep you informed...

Definitely up for a Lunchbox meeting - I know Andy is well keen on getting one. It'll be a hoot... :D

Cheers again Andy...catch you later.

James

Thanks James,

A few of the lads where asking about my Cougar and did seem impressed with how the old girl ran, as to be honest I was!.

Found out my Terra Scorcher a few weeks ago, I am going to try and rebuild the old girl and see how she goes.

Thanks James,

A few of the lads where asking about my Cougar and did seem impressed with how the old girl ran, as to be honest I was!.

Found out my Terra Scorcher a few weeks ago, I am going to try and rebuild the old girl and see how she goes.

It was great to see a Cougar running again - really miss mine from when I was a lad - it was the best car by far.

You've got a cracking collection of old racers - enjoyed seeing the Yokomo Hot Dog - reckon that'd go better with some LiPo cells and a nice new G2 Mardave silver can. I'll get my old YZ10 running for next time...

James

Dont think ill be able to make this saturday but think ill be able to make it on the bank holiday weekend. Should be even more fun if you can get a lunchbox race going ther, if you didn would that include the pumpkin

Dean

Dont think ill be able to make this saturday but think ill be able to make it on the bank holiday weekend. Should be even more fun if you can get a lunchbox race going ther, if you didn would that include the pumpkin

Dean

Hi Dean,

No worries about this Saturday...after the 16th I'll be away for two weeks, but others will be there - Do you know Eddystone? perhaps you could contact him.

As for the Lunchbox meeting - it wouldn't be a proper meeting without a Pumpkin or two. :D We need to finalise the details, but it's likely to be one of the June meetings - I'll let you know.

Cheers

James

Here's a few shots from the retro racing heat at Hinckley on May 16th - Heavy showers all day but loads of fun. Considering the weather there was a reasonable turn out but did it rain!!! We got in 3 heats and a final between the showers - also I got in 3 hotdogs during the rain - not even the bad weather stopped the barbeque!

Racing in the Retro class this week we had Tamiya Frog, Tamiya Subaru Brat, Tamiya Baja Champ, Traxxas Bandit, Mardave Cobra, and a gold tub Associated RC10. Some good close racing among the cars, in the first race the RC10 took the finish first and the Frog just pipped past my Bandit three corners from the finish line for second place after battling from behind the whole race - great fun! First 2 photos are from that race. Frog is just hidden out of shot behind the HRCCC bridge. Other drivers had similar close racing throughout the meeting as all the cars were quite evenly matched in performance. Third photo has the Subaru Brat in action, again behind the RC10, but infront of the Frog. Running standard silver can motors as a limit seems a great way of levelling the competition.

Thanks to Dean ( Wacker1 ) for the photos.

Richard

HRCCCRetroClass2.jpg

HRCCCRetroClass1.jpg

HRCCCRetroClass3.jpg

thanks for posting action pics; whish there were more people posting those.

Good luck with the next

thanks for posting action pics; whish there were more people posting those.

Good luck with the next

Thanks for your comments Mr ED - have you got anything like this in Belgium?

Eddystone and I have just set-up a new SIG to encourage vintage racing (see link below) - you're more than welcome to join.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/sig_member.asp?id=166

Cheers

James

I heard about a club in brussels which runs a vintage class, but have yet to visit them. Planning to though; cruising the street or parkinglots just doesn't do anything for me.

While I worked and lived in Japan for the passed 2 years, I went to a couple vintage meetings and had good fun.

Earlier this year I took my yokomo hotdog inspired creation to a big indoor race: not a vintage event, but great fun. I never expected to see my old stuff clear table tops and tripples.

PS: can I join a SIG without being a full member? Doesn't appear so

I heard about a club in brussels which runs a vintage class, but have yet to visit them. Planning to though; cruising the street or parkinglots just doesn't do anything for me.

While I worked and lived in Japan for the passed 2 years, I went to a couple vintage meetings and had good fun.

Earlier this year I took my yokomo hotdog inspired creation to a big indoor race: not a vintage event, but great fun. I never expected to see my old stuff clear table tops and tripples.

PS: can I join a SIG without being a full member? Doesn't appear so

Hi Mr. ED

you're right - you can't beat the thrill of racing - even if it's just for a laugh. I say get in touch with the club in Brussels and have yourself some fun. Really envious of you working in Japan - I'd love to visit the place. We had a Yokomo Hot Dog running the other week (idbandy - brought it along) - love the old Yokomo buggies - their latest releases just aren't the same.

No idea on the full member issue - I'll post something in the Club Rules section - perhaps one of the moderators will have the answer.

Catch you later buddy...

James

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that we're intending to run Lunch Boxes and Pumpkins for a bit of a laugh this week at Retro Racers meeting (Hinckley RCCC). Usual Retro Racers rules apply.

Come and join in the fun...

Cheers

James