Sign in to follow this  
TamTom

Poor Steering Hotshot 2007

I installed radio gear into my Hotshot 2007 yesterday and I found that the steering angle is very poor. I think the Hotshot uses the TA01 steering knuckles from the kit. Would the Hotshot II knugkles improve a little, or is my setup wrong?

If it's anything like when I tried the og Boomerang knuckles on my rere, it gets worse....

At full lock, is the "inside" tyre coming to rest anywhere near the lock stop on the top arm?

If it's anything like when I tried the og Boomerang knuckles on my rere, it gets worse....

At full lock, is the "inside" tyre coming to rest anywhere near the lock stop on the top arm?

Uhm...didn't pay attention on that I'm afraid. But as far as I remember the inner tire does not come to close to the tire stop (triangle) on the upper arm.

However, if I steer right, the right tire turns much more than the left tire does which is rather normal from what I can remember. But I feel it is far to less

from what it should be though. Can anybody post a picture taken from top view of a Hotshot at full steering?

I'm not sure if the Hotshot has the same plastic drag link as the Boomer, but I noticed mine was a little "gritty" near the end of it's movement, so I lightly backed out the 3mm ball studs just a smidgen, and it improved.

I'm not sure if the Hotshot has the same plastic drag link as the Boomer, but I noticed mine was a little "gritty" near the end of it's movement, so I lightly backed out the 3mm ball studs just a smidgen, and it improved.

I will have a closer look today evening, but I remember my Boomerang runner which I had until two years had a much better steer angle.

Yep, sounds about right, the Hot Shot doesn't have much steering angle. You get used to driving it that way though - you need to tap the brakes to induce oversteer.

It has a different steering setup to the Boomerang. Hot Shot just has a directly connected servo saver, and one steering tie rod is longer than the other.

I think that the Hot Shot 2 knuckles are no different from the re-issue Hot Shot ones.

- James

Yep, sounds about right, the Hot Shot doesn't have much steering angle. You get used to driving it that way though - you need to tap the brakes to induce oversteer.

It has a different steering setup to the Boomerang. Hot Shot just has a directly connected servo saver, and one steering tie rod is longer than the other.

I think that the Hot Shot 2 knuckles are no different from the re-issue Hot Shot ones.

- James

Now as you mention it...right - the Boomerang has this strange plastik rod steering setup which is driven by a pin of the servo horn...and now I remember that, my Fox used to have the same less steering angle as the Hotshot because of same direct steering linkage. Well, then I must take it as given.... thanks.

I asked a similar question here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=46037&hl=

I moved my ballstuds up and recently added the DF-03 wheels to my Hotshot and that greatly improved my steering and control.

I have just performed a mod to my servo saver on my Fox which has the same problem.

I plan to do it on my hot shot as they have the same system.

Will be a while before i get to it but will let you guys know if it works.

The Fox was soo mmuch better. I have full lock on inner and outside wheels with same balance from ethier side...

Whew.. glad I'm not the only one who has this "problem" :rolleyes:

Just built my reissue Hotshot and thought I had done something wrong, since its turning radius is... barge-like. Knowing that they are supposed to be like that is a relief!

Now... are the gearboxes supposed to sound like rock crushers too?

I moved my ball studs in to the closer hole on the steering block and it improved some.

I remember something about the re-re Hotshot has two different front steering knuckles that can be used??? I built my re-re but had a look through the manual and didn't see any mention of optional front steering knuckles. Can anyone clarify that for me? What parts are they? thanks for any help. I hope its ok to ask in this thread, didnt want to start a new one for it.

The knuckles on the main sprues are the original ones and the re-re comes with 50648 which seems to be a generic replacement for the TA01/02 (+03?) and a bunch of the re-re's. I broke one my first run, and had to go back to the originals, but am waiting on my TA04 CRP pieces I just ordered. I dunno what that is gunna do to the steering geometry, but heck the heck, they are cheap, lol.

You can fit rc 10 bell cranks ( gold or graphite or RPM ones) into the chassis with some basic modifications. Re locate the steering servo and cut the front part of chassis out.

This will improve steering lock and Bump steer as well.

I plan to do it some day as i have the bell cranks.

It will go well with my RC Channel conversion.

Cheers.

Mark.