Sign in to follow this  
minilover

taking off tires

k i want to take my glued tires off and i heard u can cook them off. could someone plz tell me how to do it and if the kitchen smells bad after it?[:P]

If they are superglued on, I believe that boiling them is the accepted way of removing them...

If you boil them wouldnt that then melt the rims as they are all plastic these days and that tends to melt ?

Chris

Boiling water occurs at 100degrees C - you'd need to go hotter than that to melt plastic...

hrmm must have had it a lot hotten when i accidently melted my stadium blitzer rims :(

Chris

How long did you leave them in for? Sounds like a bit of a nightmare...

If you do try it minilover - keep an eye on them!

Do a search of the forums too - there have been a few threads about removing glues tyres...

Whether the wheels survive boiling depends on what the wheels are made from. Some plastics do soften at lower temperatures and the wheels will distort, others will survive intact. unfortunately the only way to find out is to boil some and see what happens.

Also after boiling the house will smell strongly of cooked rubber.

don;t boil. I rad on here someone tried microwaving in 15-20 second bursts to loosen the glue and peel them off. I tried boiling and the rims beame malformed....

no no no, u want to use acetone!! if u cant find a product containing acetone use a nailpolish remover that has acetone in it, jus make sure that the woman/lady who owns the nail polish remover doesnt find out

I just read a discussion of this issue on another forum. The best recommended way was to pre-heat the oven to about 300-350deg, then stick the wheels laying on some cookie sheet or tinfoil for around 15 minutes.

Whatever treatment you do, the tires will likely not survive if a lot of glue is used. Although I did rescue some tires with it too.

What I usually do is boil some water, then put the wheels in a bowl and pour the hot water over them. after some soaking, try to pull them off gently and soak some more. If the water get's cold, replace it with new hot water. Make sure the water can contact the glued aera's well. I'd say this is worth a try. Good luck. [:)]