Hello,

As per my other post about getting/restoring a monster beetle, I thought I would make a new thread now that I actually own one, well two lol. :blink:

First of all I purchased this on ebay:

f5041vv0.jpg

f99f1lp9.jpg

I was pretty sure it was the remains of a monster beetle but as it wasn't listed as one, it went under the radar a little and I got it for a steal. :lol: - Don't hate me too much, it never usually happens to me! Anyway, after some advice off you experts on here, and looking around for parts inc, shell, tyres etc, I realised that it was going to be very expensive to get that one up and running straight away.

Soooo after selling my 1:1 toy on Saturday I was feeling flush and I put a bid and maximum price in for a 2nd, much tidier and complete MB - apart from a break to one of the front upper wishbones. I went down to the pub to calm my nerves and was delighted when I won the auction for this:

0e0d12.jpg

2ec312.jpg

3f4112.jpg

207e12.jpg

639412.jpg

762212.jpg

;)

It arrived this morning, and whilst its no shelf queen it appears to be largely complete and in good condition. The shell has been painted by brush so is not the neatest, but I will be (carefully) using the car, so it doesn't have to be super clean.

I will strip it down as soon as I can and give it a clean and fix the bits that need fixing. :D At first I will try to make a good runner out of the two, which should be possible, and then I will see what I am left with and take it from there.

Cheers,

Richard.

That's a really nice example, shame about the brush painting.

It has the lightbar intact too, that's normally the first thing to get broken.

That's a really nice example, shame about the brush painting.

It has the lightbar intact too, that's normally the first thing to get broken.

Yes, thanks. It's the best looking and most unabused one I have seen for sale for the past couple of months. I don't think its been re-built either, I might be wrong, but it all felt very "time warp" when I opened it this morning. :blink: Worse condition ones that were runners have sold for around 70 more too!

I might well have to strip the shell and do it properly, but I will get it all running and cleaned up first.

I will be (carefully) using the car,

It will be scrap within a month. :blink:

Put that 6v battery in your B44., then I might be able to keep up.

It will be scrap within a month. :blink:

Put that 6v battery in your B44., then I might be able to keep up.

Scrap = Likely

Keepup = Unlikely.

:lol:

I often wonder why someone paints a red body with red paint by brush. Surely it would look better unpainted, certainly sprayed!

For some relatively inexpensive body spares, try Blizter Beetle parts, some can be found in Jason's store. Not all are compatible, but many are and you can get repro decals on TC.

Paul.

Hello,

As per my other post about getting/restoring a monster beetle, I thought I would make a new thread now that I actually own one, well two lol. :blink:

:lol: This has happened to me many a time. Must learn to exercise more self control when rushing to ebay to buy my latest "must have" car!

I often wonder why someone paints a red body with red paint by brush. Surely it would look better unpainted, certainly sprayed!

Paul.

When you are between the ages of 13 -16 you can do the strangest things to RC cars. I painted my original MB shell in camo.

That was a sneaky buy! I thought you were only expecting the chassis :blink:

Looks like it'll make a perfect runner/display piece. The brush paint might have saved the plastic from a few scrapes too.

Really nice example, wheels look pretty tidy as well can't see much scuffing so that's saved you some cash. Stripped my MB in a big bucket of dot 4 brake fluid and it came up ok - some photos on another thread somewhere, but needs a good rub down before repainting process can begin.

I'd be dead chuffed with that. Even a little jealous.

He he, it was a bit sneaky. I had my eye on it as it looked really good, and I after selling my 1:1 track car, I needed a new toy. :blink: It sold for loads less than some of the other ones we had watched on email, and even though its currently a non runner, I am please with its overall condition.

Just got home late from work (urrgh) and looking at it has already cheered me up. :lol:

:lol: This has happened to me many a time. Must learn to exercise more self control when rushing to ebay to buy my latest "must have" car!

Yeah I know what you mean, Butler has already been on at me tonight to get ANOTHER car, I already have more than I have time to sort out. :blink:

Really nice example, wheels look pretty tidy as well can't see much scuffing so that's saved you some cash. Stripped my MB in a big bucket of dot 4 brake fluid and it came up ok - some photos on another thread somewhere, but needs a good rub down before repainting process can begin.

I'd be dead chuffed with that. Even a little jealous.

Thanks Leethal, I saw your thread. I might strip it sometime, its got a couple of marks on it that have been touched in, but its not too bad, it even has half a wiper! :D

looks like a great buy,id be well happy with just the front spotlamp bar.

but the wheels look really good too.it looks complete,not too much work to do.

id have to agree with the 13-16 comment.but mine went on way into my 20's.

and i thought at the time my rc's looked amazing.lol

Yeah I know what you mean, Butler has already been on at me tonight to get ANOTHER car, I already have more than I have time to sort out. ;)

Thanks Leethal, I saw your thread. I might strip it sometime, its got a couple of marks on it that have been touched in, but its not too bad, it even has half a wiper! :P

You say that but all I needed was a tyre to get my MB going and I ended up buying 4 more MBs, 2x Hotshots, 1 manta ray, 1 Boomerang, and a lot of parts and radio gear.

Well, I spent an hour having a little poke around the MB yesterday, more than no hidden surprises, it really is clean. A dust off proved to really start to bring it to life! At this point I would provide some nice pics, but my camera battery is flat and having only just moved, I have no idea where the charger is lol. :unsure:

I will also be getting the 2nd chassis tomorrow. I assume it won't have ballraces, but when that's been proven, I will order some and rebuild the tidy one with new bearings, of course repairing the broken front top wishbone and the rear guard bit which is broken at the bottom.

I will try and take a few snaps and pop some pics up. :P

One thing, looking at the great condition of the original Acoms servo's, rx and tx, I am tempted to keep them and use them with the beetle. Does anybody have any 27mhz Crytals they would be willing to sell please? It didn't come with any.

Thanks as always,

Richard. :)

Crystals are a fiver per set give or take, try fusionhobbies or modelsport, get em on ebay as well. Still waiting for my Thorp Dirt Burner ball diff to arrive from the states, got the CRA adjustable motor mount as well.

Got a set of shiny new rere Frog UJ's that might be going spare...