I know these items are rare but how much?

(UK eBay)

Edited by RichieRich
No live ebay auctions please

Links to ebay are not really allowed, so I think you should remove it... :)

But to asnwer your question... They are worth quite a bit of money, but I didn't think it was as much as this. However, it seems like the seller is TC member loaded... He has quite a bit of knowledge and experience with RC cars and vintage cars, so I don't think he would ask prices people are just not willing to give for it...

and to be honest, anyone who bought it would know the significance of a black SRB bumper. It's not like you could fool someone into paying that to get their basher sand scorcher fixed up :)

Go ahead, post the links, they are my auctions, you have my permission.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120392911785

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120392924041

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120392953178

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120392959219

Prices are based on what I have seen in the past and the condition and rarity of the items. If we were talking commoditities it is a whole different story.

The Black Bumper is a difficult thing, as most people don't know how to tell a real one. Read between the lines and you can see this is an early black bumper, mint and genuine. A regular one is worth upto perhaps $150 in grey. Don't forget, these prices were seen on UK eBay (Sterling is very low) and prices include shipping.

Paul.

I'm just astonished that anyone would actually care what revision black bumper it is to pay those prices! :lol:

It all comes down to rarity. Tamiya's first black bumper had a spelling mistake on the moulds and was moulded in black (there are other ways to tell too). After fixing the mistake they continued to produce some in black, then went to grey (less likely to snap under pressure) and continued in that way until they stopped production of the original SRB chassis and derivitives (incuding the Super Champ, Holiday Buggy and Sand Rover) many years later. This means that genuine early black bumpers are more rare, more sought after and therefore more valuable.

As I am a known seller, people are more likely to trust me selling a black bumper than someone who happened upon one in a garage sale somewhere, which means two things. Firstly I can ask the price and maybe someone will pay it and secondly that some astute hunting might snag one cheaper, but with the greater risk of getting a fake. There are hundreds of fake black bumpers in the world, as unfortunately we are victims of our own desires. People have learned to dye the grey bumpers black (it is pretty indistinguishable in real life and impossible to tell in a photo) to make them look like black bumpers.

Due to a combination of eBay being very unpredictable nowadays, to avoid accusations of shill or false bidding and sniping I have elected to sell almost everything nowadays through the Buy it Now option. If it doesn't sell, I will offer it again, maybe in a couple of weeks drop the price a little, but at any time someone could buy it. There are those who simply want the best things for their display buggy, people who want to put a black bumper in their buggy kit, or just want a piece of rare history. Time will tell if the price is wrong, I don't put a gun to anyone's head. I have seen black bumpers go for more and less. A grey bumper Sand Scorcher kit went for $5100 in recent history, so the parts are all very valuable on their own too.

Don't forget when looking at things through eBay.co.uk you are looking through the glasses of poor exchange rates in comparison to last year, but the market is set in Dollars and the main markets (EU/US/Japan) are all strong currencies against the Sterling.

Paul.

Hi Paul, just wondered if you could tell me (roughly) what a used black bumper with scuff marks in the usual places would be worth? I'm thinking of selling mine to raise funds for the other parts I need to finish my project off.

Hi,

I am a bit better at new parts and even then many would suggest (as they have here) that I am way off. Used parts tend to me much harder to price, as one man's 'mint condition' is another man's garbage. In some ways, scuffed might help prove it isn't painted or dyed. I have seen used Scorcher shells go for $50 and new ones in auction go for $576 (Jason's Store last year, unless I am very much mistaken).

Ball park figure is going to be between $50 and $100 for good condition (light scuffs, no bends, scrapes), which is a flashy way of saying I don't really know. There is such interpretation to be made between scuffing and scraping etc etc it is very tricky.

Thanks twisty, you know me, polite, helpful and unprovocative ;-)

Paul.

Paul, thanks. The difference between scuffing and scrapping is something I hadn't considered. I think mine is probably at the lower end of the value curve and as such not really worth parting with.

Best

Gerry