Sign in to follow this  
Bearhawk_Boy

Fault Finding - Tamiya Stadium Thunder

So Ive got abit of time on my hands at the moment and Ive finally got round to looking at my Stadium Thunder. When I bought it I knew it would need at least a set of crystals but seein as I didnt have any laying about I put it off.

Pair of crystals came through the post this morning, charged a battery up and fished out my handset....

As soon as you turn the power on the motor runs which is fine just the speed control needs adjusting only problem is the handset doesnt seem to control the car. Ive checked both crystals are in ok, all the wires into the receiver seem ok but still no joy.

I know its not the handset as I mainly use one handset and change the crystals as Ive only got the 3cars - and its in working order.

Apart from the reciever in the car, could there be anyother reason for the handset not effecting the car?

Thanks for your help

may be worth trying a set of crystals from one of your other models as they can easily get damaged in the post failing that it would just be a case of changing parts till it works kida proces of elimination if that makes sense hope this helps

You maybe have faulty servo's, or faulty receiver.

Try changing those to one's that you know work and plug them into the receiver and vice versa.

Colin.

I know its not the handset as I mainly use one handset and change the crystals as Ive only got the 3cars - and its in working order.

Apart from the reciever in the car, could there be anyother reason for the handset not effecting the car?

Is the receiver the same frequency as the hand set

UK:

27mhz

40mhz

2.4G

Rest of the world could be any thing

72mhz

Check the top of the receiver should state its frequency it must match the crystals and handset

start by unplugging everything; xtls, servo, motor leads, receiver and then plug it all back in. it only takes 10 seconds and might cure the problem if there is a dodgy connection somewhere.

xtls are the most likely problem as said earlier and are easily damaged. they may not have been good to start.

then start the swapping out of electronics one piece at a time to isolate it. i've found the servo is often overlooked and can cause interference.

electrical glitches are infuriating when they just can't be found. :)

Hi

Sounds like a problem I had recently. I eventually figured out that although I had the right crystals and both my transmitter and receiver were 27 Mhz, the transmitter was AM (very common) and the receiver was FM (not so common). So just check that the transmitter and receiver are both AM or both FM, mixing the two will not work - in my case it did exactly as you describe.

Duane.

Have you found the problem?

You've got to fess up if you did something goofy like 72mhz receiver and 75mhz transmitter - for 2 reasons: [1] we are curious what the problem is - it helps troubleshoot in the future if it was something technical and funky; and [2] it makes us feel better if somebody else makes the same obvious / goofy mistakes that we did. :)

PS: have you ever noticed how the obvious is never actually obvious until pointed out to you by somebody else? :lol:

If I ever get my hands on that Murphy guy, he's got some explaining to do.

What with rushing around friday, and Mothers day this sunday just gone I didnt get a chance to look at it with a clear head.

But Im gona have a look at it sometime this week, I'll umplug all the plugs maybe spray a little WD40 on them check the crystals and then take it from there.

I might also pop into TJD models in Dartford as its only up the road and just have a word with them, I'll report on what comes of the problem as soon as I know myself.

Thanks for the helpful advice so far, cheers