mickycivic

Help With Brushed/brushless Choices!

Hi all, I'm fairly new to this RC car business as an adult... had a bearhawk as a kid which I regret selling so have tried to rekindle my spirit for the cars!

I currently have a few models, but I am looking to get more speed out of them, namely a lunchbox and a TL01B. I was running a sport tuned in the lunchbox which was great fun, I wanted a little more so I got a motronics 20t esc and a orion method 21x2 motor (on the advice of modelsport uk), but it doesnt seem as quick as the sport tuned so am a little gutted. Does anyone have any experiance of these motors, are they any good? Should it be quicker than the sport tuned?

Anyway, after reading a few posts it seems either a really good brushed setup is in order, or for the same sort of price, an ezrun brushless setup. The box is ballraced, has oil shocks, front strut... etc so hopefully its fairly ready. I like the idea of it being really fast(!) but would like a fair bit of control too... would the ezrun suit it ok? Would the gearing need beefing up, I hear the gears are fairly indestructable?

Also, looking to go brushless in a TL01B, do these have good gains being brushless?

Any comments would be appreciated as I am a little stuck, there seems to be so many options!

Thanks in advance.

Sporttuned is actually rated 1,000 rpm high than the Orion and I'm guessing a little more torque as well. The Orion is a budget modified motor and not a super performer.

Sorry I don't have any experience with your chassis so couldn't recommend anything. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

TL-01b is a poor chassis to fit brushless to. It's essentially an entry level tourer with long arms and big wheels. Smallest pinion you can fit is a 19 tooth which is too tall for most brushless motors. I wouldn't fit much more than a 19 turn brushed to the chassis with the 19 tooth pinion when using the buggy sized wheels.

If you want a brushless buggy look at DF-03 or DB-01. (DF-01 needs too many upgrades to make it strong enough, DF-02 doesn't have the gearing options).

The brushless motor does go well in the lunchbox however. Great fun with it way over powered. It's gearing is quite short standard.

The eco20 mTronics ESC (50A) is actually a lower Amp rating than the Tamiya TEU-101BK (60A) even though mTronics claim it's a 20 turn limit and the Tamiya a 27 turn limit.

EDIT Ta-Mark covered my answer better than me, so removed it. ;)

We've seen fair success with Novak SS5800 in a TL01; a 9T eZRun could work ok if you used the smallest pinion available.

Car must have full ballbearings always. Steel pinion is better than tamiya alloy.

Most BLs have thermal protection so if they overheat they'll usually cutout to avoid damage.

We've seen fair success with Novak SS5800 in a TL01; a 9T eZRun could work ok if you used the smallest pinion available.

In a TL-01 tourer with 65mm diam onroad wheels, yes that's fine. Will run brushless no problem.

In a TL-01b with 85mm buggy wheels... Stutter, stutter, stutter everytime you nail the throttle because the current draw is more than the ESC can handle.

Car must have full ballbearings always. Steel pinion is better than tamiya alloy.

Most BLs have thermal protection so if they overheat they'll usually cutout to avoid damage.

Second the Novak SS5800 comment.

I've tried my 2 setups in everything from on-road to a Jugg without issues of stutter, overheat etc...

Seems to be more forgiving than some of the newer setups from my experience.

Steve

Ok thanks guys, looks like the TL01 will be a non starter then...

So with the lunchbox, I've heard that the ezrun option is quite a good one, I've seen a few options on ebay and the like for about £60 for a whole system, what would be the best one to go for? Also, apart from the steel pinion, does the gearing need any modifications? I've heard that its fairly strong in there as it is.

Thanks again for your help!!

The kit pinion in a Lunchbox is brass and does not wear (no wear on mine after many many hours of use). Ratio is fine for the 5700Kv motor i use.

Yeap... eBay. My LHS is a Tamiya stockist that refuses to order parts and prefers to stock cheap chinese RTR junk. I'd rather not even walk into his shop these days.

As an observation, there are very few if indeed any cheap options for Brushless. You may find the £35-£70 you just spent does not work / suit you for a number of reasons and need to try something else. Whereas with brushed you can pick stuff up from Ebay for a £5 and if its not suitale then another £5 later and you are up and running.

This is more of an issue at club level racing than bashing but I feel worth mentioning.

Cheers

Paul

Ok thanks, puts me in a bit of a quandary now....

What brushed systems work well in an LB? To be honest the brushless system appeals as its way overpowered and looks great fun, would a brushed system give equivalent fun/power?

On the ezrun note, I've seen the ones on ebay are mostly 9t / 35A... are these the sets I should be looking at?

Cheers again for all your help.

I have the 9t 35a in my lunchbox and m03.

The brushed stuff can be made as fast but requires more maintenence and you get slightly less runtime.

Yep. Thats what I bought. Well chuffed with it.

think i'm gonna order one ere aswell for my ta01

anyone recommend a particular seller over anyone else, most see to be in the 52-56quid mark, so would like a reliable sender

i run a tl01b with a 9 turn ezrun and 3racing df-03 wheels and find it to be an amazing runner.my friends df-03 was over complicated and rubish in my opinion, its sat in a pile of bits now.i use vapextech batteries 7.2 volt and 8.4 volt 3700 mah good packs top price. baja champ rules