Mr.Orange

Option For Optima Mid Lwb

I wonder if there is some after market options for the Mid cars. This summer I will race a Turbo Optima Mid Custom Special 2009 spec. And I´m looking for a slipper clutch or is the standard protector good enough OT-88. I also want 48 pitch main gear I have a Gear Ratio Chart from SRM Racing is there some other that have made 48 pitch gear. And ball diffs are it just the W0107 and W0108 that fit the Mid. I think it looks like a standard ball diff and it´s just the "gears" that are special, if so I can get a standard Kyosho ball diff and just use the plastic from W0107 and 0108. I remember I have seen sometime a Litespeed motor mount but I´m not sure.

And have any in here race with the Optima LWB that can give me some good advice on tips to get the most out of the race Optima.

The race setup is:

Motor: Speed Passion 7.5

ESC: Not chosen jet

Battery: TrakPower 3200 20C or 4800 20C saddle

Shooks: Lazer / Ultima RB5 Twincap

Chassi: Fibre-Lyte carbofibre

Niklas :blink:

Nice, by 09 Spec I am assuming using the latest technology in the car. You have any photos of the car?

I have a Turbo Optima Mid Special roller with an aftermarket chassis; I think SRS made it. It's basically a Turbo Optima Mid SE LWB with a different body. I'm using current Kyosho ZX-5 shock springs and wheel and tires. It has a Robinson 48P Spur gear conversion but I don't think it has a slipper. For electrics I am using a low profile KO 2413 Servo and a Losi Xcelorin 10.5 sensored system and a Spektrum SR3500 receiver. Batteries I was using a Maxamps 5500mah lipo but I have found I can also fit an Orion 4800 20X stick pack through as well.

I too am looking for a good setup for this car. It appears to push like crazy on the track. The SWB version is very quick on turns. I actually had more fund driving the SWB but I want to get my LWB version running competitively as well.

This was taken after my test last night.

For the moment is it a LRP 12 x 2 in it and a LRP Quantum2 ESC with as you see a TrakPower. I test drove it on a track today and the OT005 from the diff out at the end just came lose. So I drove it only with front wheel drive so the nest time it will be rebuild when I get to a track so that nothing comes loose.

test_rigg.jpg

Niklas :blink:

There used to be plenty of upgrade parts, but probably not what you want. From Kyosho there's the ball diff upgrades, the ball diffs were used from the Optima right through to the Lazer with the only difference being the pulley. There's also the Option House front one way, I always raced with the front one way although now I find the handling with it is way too responsive. I generally ran with the OT-47 front uprights, they have less caster than the standard parts so you get more steering coming out of the corners, but not as aggressive turning in.

very few third party upgrades were available, the biggest amount were kits to convert short wheelbase cars to the long wheelbase. RW Racing made a few parts, but not many. Replacement layshaft and idler gears for more strength, and a range of replacement spur gears in different sizes but still 0.6 module. If you contact RW Racing http://www.rwracing.co.uk/contact.html they should still be able to supply replacements made for the Mid. Andys made replacement suspension arms, but they are the same dimensions as the originals.

A slipper clutch doesn't exist, the protector is just there to protect it from shock loads and basically you either have drive or you don't , there's no adjustability in it that you need for a slipper.

Litespeed will have made a heatsink for it, after all they made them to fit every other car on the market.

It's been 20 years since I raced mine, so can't remember much about the setup, especially as I stuck with the short wheelbase until I upgraded to the Lazer. As far as I remember by looking at my old racer, gold shocks with 2 hole pistons and 15-25 weight oil depending on the track. Usually black springs all round worked everywhere. Upper links mounted in the lower, outer holes on the shock mounts both front and rear.

I have a Lightspeed motor mount on my Turbo Optima Mid SE, if its the same part on the LWB version, I would be willing to part with it for the right price.

-Jonathan

I wonder if there is some after market options for the Mid cars. This summer I will race a Turbo Optima Mid Custom Special 2009 spec. And I´m looking for a slipper clutch or is the standard protector good enough OT-88. I also want 48 pitch main gear I have a Gear Ratio Chart from SRM Racing is there some other that have made 48 pitch gear. And ball diffs are it just the W0107 and W0108 that fit the Mid. I think it looks like a standard ball diff and it´s just the "gears" that are special, if so I can get a standard Kyosho ball diff and just use the plastic from W0107 and 0108. I remember I have seen sometime a Litespeed motor mount but I´m not sure.

And have any in here race with the Optima LWB that can give me some good advice on tips to get the most out of the race Optima.

The race setup is:

Motor: Speed Passion 7.5

ESC: Not chosen jet

Battery: TrakPower 3200 20C or 4800 20C saddle

Shooks: Lazer / Ultima RB5 Twincap

Chassi: Fibre-Lyte carbofibre

Niklas :(

The shooks are mounted and the motor for test.

topcspspec09_13.jpg

And some how I want to mount the SPW02 motor plate as well. I need to figure out a gear cover for it just.

topcspspec09_motorplatta_12.jpg

topcspspec09_motorplatta_11.jpg

I have also tried to mount the Ultima RB5 swing shafts for it. It´s just thet the wheel axel is to long. So I think it will be the original Option House swing shafts on it, when I get them.

:D

Latest pictures of my Optima.

topcspspec09_15.jpg

topcspspec09_14.jpg

:)

Nice long wheelbase optima mid. Do you have a setup for it? How does it drive?

Are those the original Lazer ZX-5 wheels dyed?

It´s Lazer ZX-5 standard wheels that I have dyed.

How it´s to drive? It´s fun real fun ;) It is well balanced in jumps as well in corners. I have not had any 4WD earlyer so I have nothing to compere with. A setup for it I don´t have yet but when I have one I will post it here. And the setup will be for astro-turf. For the Nordic Championship in Stockholm on this "]track[/b].

Now have i received one more part for my Optima carbon fiber chassis, the parts are from Fibre-Lyte.

topcspspec09_17.jpg

Where is Fiber lite.

Are they they still in production.????

Love to get some parts for my MID.

Thanks.

Mark..

Where is Fiber lite.

Are they they still in production.????

Love to get some parts for my MID.

Thanks.

Mark..

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

They CNC parts to order, so providing they have design files for what you want, it's no problem. They have files for upper and lower decks (LWB and SWB), motor mount and brace and front and rear shock/suspension stays. If you come up with modified designs of your own they can make them too.

Andy

Very cool. It turned out really nice. Is that a JConcepts 6" rear wing? How does it handle? Are you still using the original dog bones or universals?

It handle good this wing I used a LA242 High down force wing first and it worked. This JConcept wing looks better and maybe works better when all wheels are on the track. The LA242 did make the car fly horizontal in jumps and that was a big plus. Now it want to dip the nose so I have to compensate with throttle.

I have universals kyo W5061 in the front and dog bones rear. I´m thinking on getting universals in the rear as well later, not now. An other thing that gets the car to handle better now, is that the shocks are more vertical then being placed out on the hub carrier. That is way I have cut down the shock body 5 mm so they fit well where they shall be on a MID Optima.

:(