Sign in to follow this  
tony gray

M05 Pro - The New M Chassis

Well, only CAD pictures so far.. The new M05 Pro M chassis.

Servo in the back, and electronics hanging off the side. Impressed? Well given that they had the chance to do something really new, gotta say I'm disappointed.

m05-big.jpg

It's a bit hard to see the details for us - but is it interesting :blink: Can you make some better quality pics or give us some details you can see/read and we can't?

Ah well, a quick search turns up some links... Plus an F104 in the making? Looks like they could fit a modern F1 shell on there!

http://www.rc-japan.de/article.php?id=315&...pg=1&anch=0

Seems like I see a front motor with rear drive shafts? And I don't see any front shafts...?

PS: More F104 and http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/el...65f7eeee8ba.jpg

And http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/...tml#post5638783 a thread on RCTech to watch if you're interested in the M05?

The M05 Pro will be a FWD. What you see as possible drive shafts in the back are acctually screws for the body mounts (note the squares directly behind them). Judging by the picture, the body mount posts looks like they will come from M04 parts bin (the front ones especially).. At least the M chassis now gets some decent steering setup that won't be whacked out of alignment terribly in the first corner, and seems the belcranks accepts bearings as well.... Hmm, very similar to M01/02 series. I wonder if different rod lengths will be included for different wheelbase setting...

Lower arms looks to be M03/04 stuff. Toe in rear uprights looks to be the standard.. and they've managed to put all electronics on the floor. But really those dampers looks like "mini me" of the friction unit found in TT01/01E... and they dubbed it a "pro"??

In any case, it is clear that tamiya is recycling their M chassis designs... O well, we'll wait n see how much better the centre section is actually.. I want to see a front bumper that wraps under the chassis, ala TL01B style.

F104 looks nice... new pivoting front end, brushless ready rear pod... and wait... the battery is north-south. That rear diffuser looks very hpi E10-ish... eeeeeeekkkk

The M05 Pro will be a FWD. What you see as possible drive shafts in the back are acctually screws for the body mounts (note the squares directly behind them). Judging by the picture, the body mounts will be all new.. And finally the M chassis gets some decent steering setup that won't be whacked out of alignment terribly in the first corner. Hmm, very similar to M01/02 series. I wonder if different rod lengths will be included for different wheelbase setting...

Lower arms looks to be M03/04 stuff. Toe in rear uprights looks to be the standard.. and they've managed to put all electronics on the floor. But really those dampers looks to be the friction unit found in TT01/01E... and they dubbed it a "pro"??

F104 looks nice... new pivoting front end, brushless ready rear pod... and wait... the battery is north-south. That rear diffuser looks very hpi E10-ish...

The F104 indeed looks very good... I am curious to see how it will drive. Considering the new tire widths I wonder how they'll solve balance issues... Different F/R compounds and very new suspension setup?

As for the M05... I didn't see it was the screws... I already wondered... That much weight on the front for RWD is more scale (in case of front engine RWD shells) but simply doesn't drive competitive. So FWD it is. The new servo setup will make for a lower centre of gravity but also more to the rear... It's indeed more like a M01/02 again, and it looks nice, but I have my concerns on the adjustability and suspension geometry...

If it's a Pro version, where are the adjustable tie rods and upper arms on it? That's pretty much the most basic form of adjuastability that's already nice on a basher, so it's a necessary standard for a 'Pro' or competition car.

By now they could also have come up with a reversible suspension arm set (like for the TA05) for more adjustability.

It also seems that the longer suspension arms (like on modern touring cars) have a better geometry (I can't think of other advantages of lengtening the suspension 'into' the wheel). I know the wheels are small and it will be difficult to have the pivoting points of the upright inside the wheel, but it looks like the time stood still on the development of that... Still the bulky TL01 based suspension (or at least look that way), especially the front looks bad.

One glance at the HPI Cup Racer just shows how Tamiya can improve the suspension... They are no perfect comparison since the HPI is 4WD, but for the suspension Tamiya should really come up with something innovative as HPI's M-chassis...

The F104 indeed looks very good... I am curious to see how it will drive. Considering the new tire widths I wonder how they'll solve balance issues... Different F/R compounds and very new suspension setup?

As for the M05... I didn't see it was the screws... I already wondered... That much weight on the front for RWD is more scale (in case of front engine RWD shells) but simply doesn't drive competitive. So FWD it is. The new servo setup will make for a lower centre of gravity but also more to the rear... It's indeed more like a M01/02 again, and it looks nice, but I have my concerns on the adjustability and suspension geometry...

If it's a Pro version, where are the adjustable tie rods and upper arms on it? That's pretty much the most basic form of adjuastability that's already nice on a basher, so it's a necessary standard for a 'Pro' or competition car.

By now they could also have come up with a reversible suspension arm set (like for the TA05) for more adjustability.

It also seems that the longer suspension arms (like on modern touring cars) have a better geometry (I can't think of other advantages of lengtening the suspension 'into' the wheel). I know the wheels are small and it will be difficult to have the pivoting points of the upright inside the wheel, but it looks like the time stood still on the development of that... Still the bulky TL01 based suspension (or at least look that way), especially the front looks bad.

One glance at the HPI Cup Racer just shows how Tamiya can improve the suspension... They are no perfect comparison since the HPI is 4WD, but for the suspension Tamiya should really come up with something innovative as HPI's M-chassis...

Well, for the track I used to race in, the camber amount on the M03 is just perfect.. not many play around with it. M class is more of a damper, spring, and tyre game.

if anything, I really wish tamiya introduce a sealed direct drive drivetrain for the M class. that should get things more interesting :blink:

I am glad they have kept the battery in a good place. I am not keen on running a heavy nimh down one side.

Agreed it would have been nice to have the LA style arms with some adjustablity.

IMHO, for tamiya to do an LA arms for the mini, in which case the lower outer pivot point is closer to the centreline of the wheels, they'd have to narrow the C-hub terribly, and use even smaller knuckles with smaller bearings. Not what I'd put in considering the motors we got nowadays.

Narrower bulkheads allows wider arms, and I think the bulkhead is already as narrow as possible now.

Perhaps 4.8mm ball jointed knuckles will do the job for a good negative scrub radius (ala @12), but that could mean making more positive offset wheels to suit the purpose... may not be cost effective considering M01 through M04 has been using the same offset of wheels (ET-0 measured from the centre line).

I presume running pivot ball knuckles ala genetic and atlas is an option, but it definitely won't be beginner friendly.

I presume running pivot ball knuckles ala genetic and atlas is an option, but it definitely won't be beginner friendly.

Well I guess that's why you'd call it a "Pro" :( But what's so beginner unfriendly about it? The lower arm can't take as much of an impact as the ones which have the 'normal' suspension arms?

Well I guess that's why you'd call it a "Pro" :( But what's so beginner unfriendly about it? The lower arm can't take as much of an impact as the ones which have the 'normal' suspension arms?

It's not that it won't take impact, because there've been several off-road buggies using this system, and is a standard issue in 1/8 on-road. designed properly, these A arms are very strong.

The problem for beginners will come to when they have to set the track width.. the need to set both left and right sides equally that is.