Sign in to follow this  
loubarzie

Whats The Best Motor And Esc For The Cr-01

Foto2.jpgFoto1.jpgHello can somebody tell me whats the best esc and motor for the cr-01 i have a hitec HS-5955TG servo installed and its ok but my speed controll is a dynamite tazer 12T and and is not the right thing for the job specialy not with the standard motor , so every comment is welcome , greetings from belgium.

post-29593-1239557013.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

Because the CR-01 is a rock crawler,i recommend the Novak Rooster ESC.There great for crawlers!

:P

Welcome to the forum :)

Because the CR-01 is a rock crawler,i recommend the Novak Rooster ESC.There great for crawlers!

:P

x2, the rooster is great :lol:

Personally, in my CR-01 I run a Yokomo 35 turn drift motor coupled upto an Mtroniks RV11 Speedo running a 2S LIPO and a Novak 6volt 3 amp BEC.

The motor gives great gobs of torque, and a decent wheel speed when I need it. I have set up the speedo with 40% instant brake, and zero delay on reverse.

Due to the CR-01 having an epicyclic gearbox which unlike 85% of other crawlers having a 3 geared gearbox offers alot of torque ie it doesnt turn freely. I found that having a strong drag brake could make it more of a handful, As I tried a Schumacher Brushless set up in it last year.

The rooster is a great speedo tho, due to having lipo programing, a strong bec, and very smooth throttle response.

Not a Rooster.

The Tekin FX-R is better in every way, for less money. Fully programmable, so you set how much drag brake you want. Smoother throttle response. A more powerful drag brake than any ESC available, if you want all that power. At 80% drag brake it will reverse wheelie my crawler if I let go of the throttle on downhill sections, got it wound down to 30% for perfect control. Less than half the size of a Rooster, and unlike the Rooster can be reprogrammed as a normal ESC if you want to use it in something else.

With that servo you should also be running a separate BEC unit. Search ebay for Hobbywing UBEC for plenty of options. The 3A ones should be powerful enough.

Not a Rooster.

The Tekin FX-R is better in every way,.

+1 on the Tekin FX-R ...

Hey All,

I have little experience in the cralwer thing, but I am getting into it, I find it quite therapeutic compared with the haste of TC's and BL Slash in the desert.

I am sure the Tekin is a great solution (if Terry says it is good, IT.IS.GOOD) :lol:

I will say tho, if it is purely fun you are after and you dont intend competing or getting harsh, another solution would be the EZRun Brushless system for cralwers...you can get them from RCmart at about US$85. It consists of a 35T motor with a fan-cooled ESC rated at 60A and a programming card. I bought one recently and have only done one proper outdoor run with it and I am well impressed! There is a drag brake function that when you release the trigger, it stops dead....it holds well on a slope but will creep forward slightly (which I like). The throttle response is good if not a teeny bit of judder which I consider negligible. I reckon I can control that as the P card has options for punch on the throttle. I have an 18T pinion in it right now which translates to NO top speed. On the first run I got the ESC to get a little warm, but the motor was ice cold so I think I might up to a 20T pinion or maybe a 22T to get more wheels speed. Obviously checking to see how the motor is handling the changes. Seems way under gared right now but I had it like that for the original brushed motor that was a 27T Mystery that was not designed for crawling. The motor rating is about 1800KV I think and I run it on a 2S Lipo of 2070Mah....I got a 45 minute run time, and the battery wasn't flat yet....when I charged it I got 1350 mah into it so I reckon I had at least another 20min runtime....for a total of 1 hour...LOL....enough time to charge a 2nd battery and all day running on 2 batts. This will change with the pinion change no doubt....but still good.

I have not got a HT servo for the steering yet, but I plan too at some stage, in which case I will need to upgrade to a BEC to power it.

If you want, I will update my findings....and if anyone can recommend pinion options for the CR-01 I would appreciate it. These Tamiya things are soft and I reckon with this much torque, they will not last long.

I am going to pretzel the driveshafts soon too I suspect.... :lol:

Regards

Andy