Sign in to follow this  
ukdavvy

Supplementary Noob Questions

Firstly many thanks for your help to my initial post

I have decided that a DR-03RA deserves further thought

I do have some other queries though which Im not sure about

They are mostly related to the motor

OK the basic kit looks like a lot of fun

I can buy a package of radio gear and batteries from all the major players in the UK at a good price

My indecision mostly regards brushless

As I see it this gives me the speed I need to compete

Having said that I am unlikely to competitively race a DR-03RA

Brushless also seems to ofer better runtime and possily the ability to de-tune the motor for friends to play with

I raced r/c cars a long time ago so am happy with my car control but my kids and mates are not so gifted :lol:

My questions are as follows

Brushless is expensive, however the ezrun motors from HK are very keenly priced

Will these allow easy de-tuning and more importantly will I have cooling issues with a DF-03RA?

Next up will a 3000mA NiMH battery run a brushless motor or do I need LiPO to do it properly?

This question is inspired as after getting a good deal with a package to include battery and conventional charger would I need to chuck both if I buy the Ezrun?

I undertand I need a balanced charger for LiPO batteries but if NiMH would run a brushless motor then at least I can keep my package battery and charger for the meantime

Or should I just buy the car on its own and a seperate brushless motor, LiPO battery and charger as they are so much better?

Thanks

Brushless systems are very demanding on Nimh batteries. I tried running an RTR Losi xxx-t with a Novak Brushless system - my 1st R/C car - on Venom 3300mah stick packs. They didn't do very well; they got extremely hot and the standard Tamiya style connectors tried to melt.

I think its possible to use Nimh packs, but you need to have good connectors like Traxxas, Deans, etc. to deal with the current / heat. You also need to have very good cells - cheaper stick packs will probably get too hot and become damaged. Very good battery packs, made from good cells, with proper connectors will probably be just fine with a brushless system if properly charged and maintained.

A cheap Nimh pack with standard connectors, bunged onto a cheap fast charger will self destruct in record time under the demands of a brushless system.

Hi,

so it seems you want to start racing and from your questions it can be seen that this will be your first race...

BUT:

* Before considering a Brushless, you should learn to drive your car steadliy around the track with a Standard Motor.

You will see that getting constant laptimes is NOT easy, not even with the Standard 540 Motor.

* Learn how to setup your car

Then when you have reached this level, you can consider getting a faster motor and enter a faster class.

Since those races are very regimented, and there a different kind of classes. Usually not all types of motors are allowed.

I love my DF03-RA, but i would not race it in a touring car race, since it's not very competitively and there are much more

raceable chassis from Tamyia than the DF03RA.

I'Ve attended in many races in last 15 years and i've seeĀ“n always the same mistakes done by beginners:

*'Yes i can drive my car fast on the parking place so i'm ready to attend a race'

Those guys always even didn'T finish the race and after a few races there motivation was lost and they were never seen.

Better to start slow

yes, if you want to win you need to not be crashing. its always best to start of with a std motor and once you can race around a track without crashing move up a level with your motor.

The only issue you will have is that for racing the df03ra wont be competitive against buggies or touring cars as it sits in a middle ground. As you want somethign that can race around outside on cobbles etc, I would say go for a Buggy (dark impact / durga etc) Buggies are great as they are wide and low so you can go really fast with practice. Touring cars are good, but only on flat ground, and are more precise.

go for a buggy :lol: get used to it, then when you want to upgrade your motor look at a good stock motor, then go to a ez-run or other brushless.

oh, nimh packs are also perfectly fine for brushless. I race them every week and never have a problem (as do many others)

* Before considering a Brushless, you should learn to drive your car steadliy around the track with a Standard Motor.

You will see that getting constant laptimes is NOT easy, not even with the Standard 540 Motor.

I can certainly vouch for this.

Over the last 2 days racing in the 'standard' 27 turn class (27T motor limit, TEU-101BK ESC limit and Ni-Cd battery limit... ~28km/h setup) I ran consistant 22sec laptimes and one other racer ran 22sec and 23 sec laptimes. These are basicly just standard buggys with Dirt Tuned motors (DF-01 and DF-02).

In the open class we run MambaMax brushless systems (~60km/h setup). One of the drivers fastest lap was only 22sec and his average for the weekend over 5 heats and a final was 38sec/lap. He would have lost to a standard buggy with his fully hopped up brushless DF-03 if raced together. Control will win over speed in almost all race situations, and having too much power and a 'greedy trigger finger' is actually slower than a well balanced, well driven standard chassis.