legarto

Tower Hobbies New 224 Radio - What Do You Think?

i think this looks a bit too cheap. it looks very plasticy and fragile. i run the acoms 2.4 radio. a few people acuse that of been bad quality, but i have had no problems with it. if you want cheap 2.4. the acoms is worth every penny ^_^

ho is this an improvment on the am gear.

I have loads of acoms am gear for all my kits is upgrading somethnig i should be thinking about.

do you get much better range etc. less glitching and interfearence?

That's really what I want to know. Is this worth upgrading to from a vintage AM Futaba Magnum Jr.? It seems like there is Acoms, Hitec, and Tower in this budget range.

That's really what I want to know. Is this worth upgrading to from a vintage AM Futaba Magnum Jr.? It seems like there is Acoms, Hitec, and Tower in this budget range.

I'm also in the same boat, All I really need is one good receiver and transmitter to swap from car to car, This one looks like it may fit the bill nicely. but there's no info about servo compatability. The internal antenna is a really cool feature.

with 2.4 you get no interferance and a far better range. i resisted upgrading at first, but its the best thing i ever did. now i am converting all my cars to 2.4.. with 20 cars it's so much easier to just change the model memory on the transmitter than switching easily damaged xtals

does that mean i can have several recievers and just one transmitter for all 20 15 odd of my cars?

The ultimate cheep 2.4ghz is hobby city's offering. $29.99 + around 15 shipping. I am considering one of these, as half my breakages are caused by interference. the price looks great and opinions seem to be good of them. Of course it is a stick radio, I am not bpothered either way. it does look tacky, but a few stickers...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=8338

does that mean i can have several recievers and just one transmitter for all 20 15 odd of my cars?

yes put a receiver in each car and set your transmitter up so it stores each cars settings in the model memory. the acoms has a 10 car model memory. so when i change cars i just press the memory button to the number that coresponds with that car and i'm away ^_^

This looks like an okay model, but I think I would rather have the Futaba 2PL FM for $10 more. I've never had interference problems with Futaba's FM systems, but I only drive with other responsible hobbyists around (who know to call out their channel first)... :lol:

2.4ghz is nice cause you never have to worry about changing crystals, but that's about it. Of course you do have to worry about your recievers staying "bound" to the transmitter. I have seen people with this issue, but I don't know the circumstances.

As for this radio, it's missing some of the nicer adjustments like steering end-point (important on older modles with asymetric steering systems), and multiple model memory (this feature is GREAT). I also do not like the location of the steering-rate adjustment. A thumb wheel is much more appropriate as you are able to make adjustments during a race. With this separate knob, you would have to take your hand off the steering wheel to tune...

I spotted that too... Who makes it? Futaba, KO, or someone else?

What I found really interesting is the "internal receiver antenna." I hate threading antenna wires through those little tubes. No antenna means that switching the RX from one car to another is a simple matter of a couple plugs and some Velcro.

All my stuff right now is Futaba AM, but I'm three receivers short of having one for each car. This is cheaper than three more R122JE's. Something to think about...

I saw this too in the tower ad and I'm interested. It does seem to lack some features like model memory and a LCD display. It probably works fine and it's a giant leap in tech from AM.

I saw this too in the tower ad and I'm interested. It does seem to lack some features like model memory and a LCD display. It probably works fine and it's a giant leap in tech from AM.

I wish it had model memory - I'd buy it no question.

I'm thinking about getting one of those for my new BFX.. I don't plan on racing..just some good fun in the yard, so I don't need all the features of thje $$$$ radios.

The 2.4 ghz single is reason enough to get one at that price.. I run 2.4 in my helis and had no problems...

The ultimate cheep 2.4ghz is hobby city's offering. $29.99 + around 15 shipping. I am considering one of these, as half my breakages are caused by interference. the price looks great and opinions seem to be good of them. Of course it is a stick radio, I am not bpothered either way. it does look tacky, but a few stickers...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=8338

Does anyone have one of these? Looks like the way to go for the cheap model I'm putting together for the 4 year old. Nice and cheap, doesn't matter if he drops it etc and no troubles with interference. Plus having a stick is the way to go for him I think when starting out.

So, is this suitable? Whats with the dual receivers? Do they make a basic 2 channel version?

FP

The HobbyKings system intrigues me too, but there are a couple of disadvantages:

1) It's only available in a 4ch setup. As much as I prefer sticks to a trigger setup, I think having the throttle move side-to-side and the steering up-and-down would be just as confusing as dealing with a trigger transmitter.

2) The binding system seems like a real pain: you have to plug in a special jumper, AND the receiver can't be hooked up to BEC power from the ESC! You need to plug in a separate, under-6-volt source to a different set of pins altogether. That's a good two or three cables to plug and unplug, plus the extra jumper, every time you want to bind. Some reviews of this system around the web warn you that you could well fry the receiver by plugging in any of these cables incorrectly. Compare this with Tower's one-button binding system on their 224 radio...

Interestingly all of the reviews and discussion of the HobbyKings setup come from the RC Aircraft world, where extra channels are required, and where having separate receiver batteries is still the norm (due, I suppose, to the large number of non-powered gliders)...

The HobbyKings setup definitely has the edge in price, but I think I'm being pushed towards the Tower product due to the ease of binding. Imagine trying to get all of #2, above, correct when you're dealing with a mud-covered receiver in the field...

I have one of the Tower 2.4 radios and love it. Has work flawless so far, and the range (haven't found the limit) and clarity are superb. Add to this that the Rx doesn't have a antenna wire so you get nice clean body lines and no antenna tube to bend. Doesn't have all the features of other radio's, but for the price it does great.

If you're going to use the set in more than one car, go for one with memory and just get one receiver;

The aerials on the RX are so short (or non-existant) that you don't need aerial tubes etc, or if you do, a 2" one will do.

For my old set I just taped the RX to a bit of plasticard and mounted an aerial tube to it, then that became a removeable module (RX and aerial tube) that was easily moved from car to car.

Check what the 'model memories' remember though, my old DX6 never remembered trim settings for each individual car, but my DX3S does.

As for binding procedures, you should only have to do it once per receiver.

My birthday is coming up, so I plan on getting one of these. The basic one comes without a servo. Is a vintage servo fine to use? Are ones of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3 for example better than a vintage servo and worth getting? Thanks for the replies.

This radio is much better.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXXZJ4&P=0

PaPeRo - good suggestion, thanks. Would the Futaba servo go with it (or please recommend one)? Also, the Airtronics radio could take a nicad it says. What battery would this be (I'm looking for the manual to find it)? Thanks for the help.