28yoKid

Advice Please, Thinking Of Getting A Modern Monster Truck!

Hi all, I am toying with the idea of getting a modern Monster truck. I have only ever had Tamiya, but the cars I run are either old designs or literally old plastic ...erm ...Vintage! I am feeling a bit guilty about putting my need for speed and thrills onto my vintage models and am looking for a fast tough basher that can take the punishment. I will only be using it off road (mud, beach, climbing a bit), would like 4wd (is 2wd as capable?) and would like it to be fairly fast. Oh and electric please. I have looked at a Rustler VXL, but question the need to go 70mph (what does a 70mph stack look like!?) and am unsure as to the Rustlers climbing/off road ability. Apart from the looks is an e revo massively different than the emaxx? and how does that compare to the e savage? My main need is durability, followed by capable handling, then speed!

What are the best ones?

Thanks in advance,

#whats your budget, 70mph sound a bit unrealistic in stock form without silll lipo setup and brushless?

I reccommend a twin det or a dual hunter as stock they are a bit slow but add some 100mm oil shocks and shock towers and stick a nice no limit twin motor esc in there, run some 15turn motors and a decent nimh battery, ball race all round and you'll have a pretty good setup, can even go 14.4 volt if you dont mind shelling out 80 odd quid for the ally twin battery chassis conversion.

Also loads of other hop ups for it.

loads of options with them and awsome when set up right.

Probably you best bet price wise and still tamiya :)

see what others suggest.

I've heard good things about the traxxas stuff too.

#whats your budget, 70mph sound a bit unrealistic in stock form without silll lipo setup and brushless?

I reccommend a twin det or a dual hunter as stock they are a bit slow but add some 100mm oil shocks and shock towers and stick a nice no limit twin motor esc in there, run some 15turn motors and a decent nimh battery, ball race all round and you'll have a pretty good setup, can even go 14.4 volt if you dont mind shelling out 80 odd quid for the ally twin battery chassis conversion.

Also loads of other hop ups for it.

loads of options with them and awsome when set up right.

Probably you best bet price wise and still tamiya :)

see what others suggest.

I've heard good things about the traxxas stuff too.

Thanks Lenter! :) Budget wise I'd say £300ish.

Has anyone had any experience with other brands also?

300 is plenty you could do a lot with that mabey even a twin brushless setup that would be awsome!

The new E-Maxx is a durable and reasonably priced choice; very fast and the parts are super cheap for the inevitable breakages. The big wheels and high ground clearance make it tough to stop - especially with 4wd and 16.8v of power. The newer models are waterproof right out of the box and aren't bothered a bit by mud, sand, snow, etc. That may be their biggest appeal. They are very good at going over / through about anything, preferably at full speed and are a blast to drive. Probably my best recommendation based on your criteria. Have one and like it.

The Rustler is not really a monster truck, is not 4wd and won't climb like a monster truck, so you might want to reconsider that choice if you really want a 4wd climber. It will go fast, jump well, and likes dirt tracks and city streets, front lawns, but won't really go through the heavy stuff with any grace. Is waterproof and lots of fun on the beach even without the brushless - insane fun with brushless. Have one and like it.

The new HPI Flux is horribly, almost unholy expensive, but ... WOW. Just can't find enough good to say about it and I wish I could afford one after seeing it run. Maybe someday, but ... WOW. They can take 22 cells - two 11 cell packs! Yes you read that right. And God only knows what they do on a Lipo battery. They go like a scalded cat with regular batteries and I don't know what kind of abuse it would take to actually damage one, although for the price they are asking that's a good thing. Not sure if its waterproof or not. Wouldn't surprise me if it was though. Want one badly, but can't afford it at the moment.

The Twin Detonator, Dual Hunters are lots of fun, relatively inexpensive, and easier on batteries since they only take one pack, but won't begin to keep up with the ones listed above without a huge investment in hop-ups. Even then, I don't think they will keep up. Still a great truck though. Climb and jump pretty well. Don't break real easy. I like them. Have two of them.

Heard really good things about HPI Savages, but never driven one. Pretty comparable to the E-Maxx; some like it better; costs a little more. Might come down to parts availability and support at your local shop. I would guess that Traxxas parts are cheaper and easier to get, but maybe HPI is better supported where you live?

E-Revo is quite different from the E-Maxx and is mostly set up for speed and race track / racing performance while the E-Maxx is for bashing and general monster truck mayhem. The Revo sits much lower and corners much better - just like you would expect from a racer. Quite a bit different in technology with lay down shocks and some other goodies. Not what I would buy for a basher / beach runner though. Pricey too.

The Traxxas Stampede looks like a monster truck but isn't 4wd and is much cheaper than any of the above. Doesn't climb that well and tips over pretty easy.

HPI Wheeley King can be had in 4wd and is about the size of the Stampede. Not waterproof, but pretty decent truck.

I'd say, go with an E-Maxx or Twin Detonator. Or the Flux if you have tons of money. You won't be disappointed, although you will be poorer.

I'd 2nd the E-Maxx as about the best all round monster basher for the money. Very tough, very capable, decent handling, 4wd, and capable of high speed.

A little out of your budget, but the new Traxxas Summit looks interesting. Dual purpose rock climber and monster basher.

Thanks Taliesin and Cubsfan for your advice, esp Taliesin, you should work for a magazine!

I am considering an emaxx and erevo. I like the idea of the revo not rolling easily! Am I right in assuming that a modern Traxxas truck is more robust than a Tamiya for bashing??

Thanks Taliesin and Cubsfan for your advice, esp Taliesin, you should work for a magazine!

I am considering an emaxx and erevo. I like the idea of the revo not rolling easily! Am I right in assuming that a modern Traxxas truck is more robust than a Tamiya for bashing??

DEFINITELY!!!

Head on between E-Maxx and Bullhead at a previous bash resulted in the E-Maxx driving off and the bullhead minus most of the front end (which was lying around in various pieces). Even broke one of the wheels completely.

Having owned and driven all sorts, I would definitely recommend the E-Maxx. I would also say stay clear of the Tamiya Twin Det / Dual hunter et al if you want decent pace. You can certainly convert them to 14.4v or brushless, but they are MUCH less stable all round than the E-Maxx, especially in corners. They are simply too narrow a track to deal with the speed, and the plastic isn't up to the job really in case of a crash. Drive shafts rarely last long in 14.4v guise either.

For me, I wanted something fast and big out of the box ratehr than something which I have to modify (and therefore make it do something it was not designed to do). Only really the E-Maxx and E-Savage at the time I bought them. E-Savage can eat their diffs, E-Maxx can break plastic bits. In the UK the Traxxas parts support is awesome, and they are extremely cheap! Actually cheaper than fixing a similiar break in a Tamiya car (which considering the scale is mad)

Bottom line for me was that the E-Maxx was waterproof (as proved by driving in the sea - Properly in the sea at that). Bear in mind the screws will corrode as will other bits, but it just means that a spot of rain wont stop you (although the TX is obviously not waterproof)

Will stop boring you now!!!

Steve

ps - Check my videos (in my showroom) if you want an idea of how fast a VXL bandit (same setup as rustler) goes compared to an E-Maxx. About the same speed on 8.4v unless you have a lot of space!!!

If you are not in a major rush to get one then there is a 1/16 Brushless Traxxas E Revo out in the next few months and also a 1/16th 4wd Slash. If there bigger size versions and anything to go by then they should be really good. Like the others have said Traxxas parts are fairly cheap and easy to get hold of, although most models only come with 27MHz AM radio.

Lemming and ARH21, thanks for your help. I am sick of breaking my tamiya cars so a Traxxas seems like an ideal 'Biatch' for me! Didn't know about the 1/16th revo coming out -thanks!

ps Lemming, what car is that in ur profile, it's beautiful:)

Just had a look at the 1/16 revo, looks like it will be fast, but not sure it will handle long grass or obstacles as well as the full size.

Lemming and ARH21, thanks for your help. I am sick of breaking my tamiya cars so a Traxxas seems like an ideal 'Biatch' for me! Didn't know about the 1/16th revo coming out -thanks!

ps Lemming, what car is that in ur profile, it's beautiful:)

Just had a look at the 1/16 revo, looks like it will be fast, but not sure it will handle long grass or obstacles as well as the full size.

That would be my pride and joy... Kyosho Ferrari 250 GTO which comes as standard on a Nitro 4wd chassis. I've fitted it to a Kyosho mantis rwd chassis for a bit more realism (and also because the Nitro chassis was too fast to keep it pristine for long).

There is a video here as well

Steve

ps I keep considering the small scale Traxxas stuff, but still love my E-Maxx!!!

That would be my pride and joy... Kyosho Ferrari 250 GTO which comes as standard on a Nitro 4wd chassis. I've fitted it to a Kyosho mantis rwd chassis for a bit more realism (and also because the Nitro chassis was too fast to keep it pristine for long).

There is a video here as well

Steve

ps I keep considering the small scale Traxxas stuff, but still love my E-Maxx!!!

Fez eh? Very nice. Just won an erevo on ebay, pretty chuffed as £237 all in! I didnt think bargains existed on ebay!

E-Savage can eat their diffs, E-Maxx can break plastic bits. In the UK the Traxxas parts support is awesome, and they are extremely cheap! Actually cheaper than fixing a similiar break in a Tamiya car (which considering the scale is mad)

This is the first time I've ever heard of a Savage breaking a diff and it being common. It's a metal housing, 4 bevel gear diff. More likely to break a diff is the Tamiya TNX with it's 2 bevel gears (happens to the guys that run them here a lot). The Savage driveline is very strong, chassis made from plastics that flex and don't break. The worst damage any of us do to Savages is to tear off a lower arm when you 'coathanger' it around a pole at 30mph. Traxxas E-Maxx like to break the rear damper tower off almost every time you put the truck upside down.

I must agree that the E-Savage (Hot Bodies E-Zilla with a new name) is a bit weak and not the same as a Nitro Savage (It's not as big either... 1:10 vs 1:8). The newer Savage-Flux is not built from an E-Savage, it's a strengthened 1:8 nitro chassis with a huge brushless system fitted.

Parts backup is very important with these trucks however, and your decision on which to buy needs to take it into account. The nature of what they are and how we thrash them means breaking something is inevitable.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a Savage breaking a diff and it being common. It's a metal housing, 4 bevel gear diff. More likely to break a diff is the Tamiya TNX with it's 2 bevel gears (happens to the guys that run them here a lot). The Savage driveline is very strong, chassis made from plastics that flex and don't break. The worst damage any of us do to Savages is to tear off a lower arm when you 'coathanger' it around a pole at 30mph. Traxxas E-Maxx like to break the rear damper tower off almost every time you put the truck upside down.

I must agree that the E-Savage (Hot Bodies E-Zilla with a new name) is a bit weak and not the same as a Nitro Savage (It's not as big either... 1:10 vs 1:8). The newer Savage-Flux is not built from an E-Savage, it's a strengthened 1:8 nitro chassis with a huge brushless system fitted.

Parts backup is very important with these trucks however, and your decision on which to buy needs to take it into account. The nature of what they are and how we thrash them means breaking something is inevitable.

Hiya Mark,

I've witnessed 2 E-Savages being run, with both of them eating a diff by the end of the day! Maybe a weird coincidence but I've had similar reports from others. Getting parts in the UK has definitely been a problem for them as well.

Never broken the rear damper tower on my E-Maxx even though it has been abused badly. I'm constantly landing it upside down and at various nasty angles. In fact the shell is seriously holey including the rear end and rear bed. All 4 body mounts are also sanded down to almost the clip hole too!

I guess it's luck of the draw as to how strong anything is, but I must say the new E-Maxx is a definite improvement over the old (which broke bulkheads constantly). I'm pleased to hear the new Savage Flux isn't just a stupidly fast E-Savage!

Can't wait to hear what 28yo thinks of the E-Revo too!

Steve

Driven and owned E-Maxx (waterproof 16.8 edition) and E-Revo before.

This is from my personal experience. In the E-Maxx, broken 3 stock rear shock towers (even with zip tie or stranded wire bracing), 1 front bulkhead, 1 upper a-arm, sheared 1 suspension pin and 6 stock shock towers (bent shafts or blown of cap). I like jumping and abusing my E-Maxx before. I bahe it on our local BMX track. If you are gonna get one, get the front and rear RPM skidplates, that is why I never broken a single one of the stock skids. I bought parts by bulk on ebay (chopped up / dis-assembled new E-Maxxes). Mine is powered by Novak HV-Maxx 6.5 brushless with 2 - 7 cell nimh. The whole driveline can handle the brushless power if you are upgrading in the future.

Then, I got the E-Revo. It is so slow in stock form! Believe me. I find the E-Maxx in stock form much faster. You want to go brushless to make it really exciting. I sold my E-Maxx as roller and put my Novak in my E-Revo. Much better. This truck is really planted! No wonder lots of people are racing them (most especially the nitro guys). Jumps really well and corners really good. Lots of tuning option. Granted that I did not play my E-Revo as much as the E-maxx before, but no broken parts to report on the bashing done when I had it in my hands. Only the scrapped off rear wing.

Now, I sold my E-Revo to a slightly used Savage Flux HP. I am not looking back :) . I am in love with this truck! Stupid fast and can take so much abuse. It has gone through 4 bashing session with 4S LiPo and still coming back for more. If you see me drive this truck...you will cringe on all the bad landings, cartwheels and what not. Still haven't replaced any part aside from the beaten up body. Definitely worth the money. It is now my favorite runner.

In the end, they are all good bashers. I will choose the E-Maxx over the E-Revo because of it's monster truck looks, high ground clerance and handling. I will choose the E-Revo over the E-Maxx because of it's durability, design and tuning options. Now, if you have some extra money available, I am definitely going to recommend the Savage Flux. No need to upgrade anything.

Poeple experience different things on their own trucks. Some might not even replaced a single bulkhead on their E/T-maxxes for the whole time they owned it, while others...they change that broken part constantly. E-Revo owners also complain of broken parts (most especially with the brushless edition). Even Flux owners report grenaded diffs with just 5 minutes run. In the end, I don't mind wrenching and replacing parts...just as long I enjoyed a good day bashing with it.

Good luck and let us know what you think of your E-Revo.

4wdmt and Lemming, thanks for letting me know about your experiences. I am really excited about the e-revo coming. I will do a review for you all, what info would you like specifically?. I have just bought some 8.4v 4600 batts with trx plugs so ready to go! :)

Just have fun and just post your thoughts and impression with the truck. It's great that your batts are already ready.

When are you expecting the truck?

Any linky to the auction?

Looks new! sometimes, you really get good deals on ebay. I'm sure you are already excited (waiting sucks).

Ok the erevo came today. :)

My 1st impressions were OMG, this thing is big! I was impressed by the overall robustness of the parts and inbound suspension, all the drive shafts and bits are extra meaty. But then again, with batts on board, this thing is heavy too. I was really pleased with the red colour, looks great! I had to set up the servos (two for the steering) as they were making a noise in neutral and the springs were changed for tougher ones (comes complete with 8 springs, 4 different tensions) to increase the ride height a bit. Clearance is now approx 3 inches.

I charged my 8.4v 4600's (with trx connectors for increase current flow) and went to the local playing field for my acclimatisation bash.

On fresh batts I was thinking wow, this thing is fast. I was expecting it to be a lot slower, I would say approx 20-25mph. Which is plenty for bashing atm (although I can see me upgrading the motors to something faster in the future) There was enough torque for wheelies too. I was a bit worried that if I hit someone, this could really hurt. So I was conscious to stay away from people. Handling was brilliant, really poised and working the shocks through tight turns. The edge of handling was easily noticeable as a rear wheel would leave the ground or two wheels! But this was easily controllable on sight so 9/10 times you could steer out of embarrassment and land it back on 4 wheels. I must have rolled it about 5 times and absolutely no damage at all. It would just land on its wheels and carry on.

My only gripe would be the run time of 14 minutes 20 seconds. Although this was of full throttle driving. I was gonna try my 7 cell packs, but not sure it would be worth it! I can see why people try to do crazy jumps with these (youtube...et al), they are just so capable, you don't feel like you are challenging the truck at all on a field, need some kamikaze jumps! Next bash will be a challenging one....just got to find somewhere...!

Pics before the bash:

Fresh out

DSC_0004-3.jpg

Chunky build

DSC_0002-4.jpg

Size

DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Thanks for all your input everyone! ;)

I am smiling while reading your 1st impression. Glad to know you are liking the E-Revo. I enjoyed driving mine before too. For sure you will upgrade in the future. One benefit from it (going brushless) is the longer run times with same batts compared to a stock set-up. Not to mention much more speed, power and torque. In any case, enjoy the thing first (stock). It can handle bashing and abuse, so...don't baby that thing. Find good jumps and see how easy to jump an e-revo.

I am smiling while reading your 1st impression. Glad to know you are liking the E-Revo. I enjoyed driving mine before too. For sure you will upgrade in the future. One benefit from it (going brushless) is the longer run times with same batts compared to a stock set-up. Not to mention much more speed, power and torque. In any case, enjoy the thing first (stock). It can handle bashing and abuse, so...don't baby that thing. Find good jumps and see how easy to jump an e-revo.

Excited this morning so went to find some jumps.

Here is a short vid taken on my phone.

was amazed with how well and flattering it is to jump, tried 6 cell packs too and they were fine. Looking fwd to the nxt bash :unsure:

Excited this morning so went to find some jumps.

Here is a short vid taken on my phone.

was amazed with how well and flattering it is to jump, tried 6 cell packs too and they were fine. Looking fwd to the nxt bash <_<

The biggest problem is finding somewhere to get the most out of them.

Tell me about it! I went to the woods in a valley in St Margarets Bay. Was good with some nice jumps. On the look out for more places!