Sign in to follow this  
Rich D

Using Alloy Rims On Srb`s

Hi guys

Ive got a set of Rad`s excellent SRB alloys. Obviously you have to use the std plastic wheel centres/bearing housings with them. Do you guys paint these ? if so what paint code/type do i need for the best results please !

Thanks muchly :)

Rich

I painted my centers with Matt Black. it really accentuates the blingness of the aluminum covers

I painted my centers with Matt Black. it really accentuates the blingness of the aluminum covers

Thanks bud - does everyone else just leave them unpainted then ?

Please advise as its holding me up !

Thanks !

I was going to go with Humbrol silver but quite like Shodog`s idea of black[satin might also be nice],you can always strip back and change anyway.

So,

Black,silver or maybe the body colour? or a combination.

or just leave them unpainted,they still look stunning :(

I was going to go with Humbrol silver but quite like Shodog`s idea of black[satin might also be nice],you can always strip back and change anyway.

So,

Black,silver or maybe the body colour? or a combination.

or just leave them unpainted,they still look stunning :)

Cheers Twisty - what type of paint is suited for the rims themselves ? Do i need to use the Tamiya primer on them first ? Im assuming that i dont want to be using lexan paint on them so which paint code for the Satin Black ?

Im a total noob when it comes to painting !

I think acrilic or enamel would be the way to go.

I would score acrilic from a car shop in an aerosol,probably spray a bit into the cap and brush on or just spray if you are doing the whole part.This would be more hard wearing too.

Enamel comes in the little tin pots,available from craft/model shops,but will be more prone to chipping/cracking with use.

With regards to primer,i would always clean any parts to be painted ,with washing up liquid and warm water first,to get rid of any casting release agents or silicone products they might be contaminated with and a light dust of primer shouldn`t harm but not overly important for this job.

These are only my opinions and others may know better or provide alternative tips?

I think acrilic or enamel would be the way to go.

I would score acrilic from a car shop in an aerosol,probably spray a bit into the cap and brush on or just spray if you are doing the whole part.This would be more hard wearing too.

Enamel comes in the little tin pots,available from craft/model shops,but will be more prone to chipping/cracking with use.

With regards to primer,i would always clean any parts to be painted ,with washing up liquid and warm water first,to get rid of any casting release agents or silicone products they might be contaminated with and a light dust of primer shouldn`t harm but not overly important for this job.

These are only my opinions and others may know better or provide alternative tips?

Much appreciated for your help again bud - all taken on board.

Go with black and also a black locking nut as it's how it looks on the real deal!!!

0026.jpg

Badboy