Sign in to follow this  
Tamiya Racer

Twisted Sand Scorcher?

I’ve always had a problem with my sand scorcher in that the body doesn’t sit square on the chassis. When the rear body clip is centralised on the roll bar it causes the body to sit to one side. (See pics below)

Is this common with these old SRB's or is it just mine?

New_Tamiya_001.jpg

New_Tamiya_002.jpg

New_Tamiya_003.jpg

post-2136-1240589220.jpg

post-2136-1240589230.jpg

post-2136-1240589238.jpg

On a similar note, I found the suspension limiters on mine are cast bigger on one side than the other, so hence one wheel goes up further, and the other doesn't droop as far (since the arms are the same but flipped).

Just been looking at the first pic....your body is twisted.

Look at the top of the rear window in relation to the top line of the windscreen, they are not even.

The rear of the roof is broken too round the body clip screws, i guess that will affect how the body sits.

Just been looking at the first pic....your body is twisted.

Look at the top of the rear window in relation to the top line of the windscreen, they are not even.

The rear of the roof is broken too round the body clip screws, i guess that will affect how the body sits.

Is the nose fitted square on ? it looks lop-sided or is it the way the pic makes it look? .You can 'bluff' the shell line up by using an extra spacing washer on the rear body clip spacer tube on the 'dipped 'side to help bring it up ,and if the nose is out of square then re align it , that will help too

It’s really baffling me what’s the cause. I no the body is a little ropy but even when it was new it wasn’t square to the chassis.

If you line up the rear body clip in the centre of the roll bar the body sits to one side (see the third picture). I just tried the washer under the body clip and it does help a little to square it up.

It’s really baffling me what’s the cause. I no the body is a little ropy but even when it was new it wasn’t square to the chassis.

If you line up the rear body clip in the centre of the roll bar the body sits to one side (see the third picture). I just tried the washer under the body clip and it does help a little to square it up.

Unscrew the rollbar and put it on a table. Check whether the 'straight' parts actually contact the table all the way. If not, it's bent. I found out the first rollbar of my scorcher project was bent when I got a second one from ebay:

PICT0046.jpg

(You can see the second rollbar was straight it was drilled :) )

Also check whether the rollbar is perfectly symmetrical looking from the front (and again looking if the sides are straight with the table) ;)