Sign in to follow this  
evil2004

Drift Tyres.

Has anyone fitted a set of drift tyres to there cars. I bought some drift tyres today, some hpi T-Drifts. They are a hard [plastic set and the instructions say to warm them up first vut i just cant get them to sit properly on the rim. They should fit because the rims match the profile of the lips on the tyres. Cheers people.

Finally got it sorted although my battery is dead so i cant say if they will stay on the rim yet. I had to boil some water and let the tyre soak then put the rim on the floor and pressed the tyre in with my knee till it popped and then put it in the freezer to shrink fit it. Here are some pics of before and after.

P1010083.JPG

P1010085.JPG

P1010086.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

post-29213-1240604784.jpg

post-29213-1240604839.jpg

post-29213-1240604851.jpg

post-29213-1240604860.jpg

post-29213-1240604869.jpg

my fan forced oven has a "keep warm" mode, runs at about 50 or so degrees C. perfect for fitting these suckers. just sit em in until they get warm then pop them onto the rims using the heel of your hand.. no need to freeze afterwards.

Isn't it just easier to buy a set of pre-fitted drift tires/wheels? :(

thats what i do

i would of done but i only had cash on me at the time and couldn't go all the way for rims aswell. :(

you could of got some old rims and bought some ABS pipe and cut that and stuck that on the rim works well for drifting

RcTT01

Isn't it just easier to buy a set of pre-fitted drift tires/wheels? :blink:

depends what you want. all of our local group (about 10 of us) run HPI t drifts, for consistency, with anywhere between 3mm and 12mm offset rims. also when the t drifts wear through, you can cut them off and put a new set of tyres on. seriously fitting them is easy when you heat them up. and i've never seen pre mounted t drifts on decent rims over here...