Sign in to follow this  
evil2004

Another Esc Question

I went to run my gtr the other night and it wont respond to the transmitter. The batteries are fine and the steering servo still moves but the esc wont turn the motor. Its got power but i have a red light which suggests a signal problem but it was fine the other night when it was running. Its a mtroniks eco20 by the way, and its not running hot or anything like that its just not moving. Any ideas or known remedies please.? Thanks.

does the led change colour to green when you fiddle with the throttle stick?

if so it might be a motor or motor wire problem?

Make sure that the ESC is plugged into the receiver the correct way. I just made this mistake. Went to hobby shop with similar problems and was promptly made to look stupid when they unplugged my ESC, turned the connector round, plugged it back in and all my problems disappeared!

Make sure that the ESC is plugged into the receiver the correct way. I just made this mistake. Went to hobby shop with similar problems and was promptly made to look stupid when they unplugged my ESC, turned the connector round, plugged it back in and all my problems disappeared!

If the plug was in the wrong way around he wouldn't have the led on? therefore i assume it's in the right way.

Iwill check this out in the morning guys as its late, but i cant figure out why its just started now as i havent changed anything since the last time i ran it. ght doesn't go green when i move the throttle stick although it will go into setup mode and then both lights come on and the wheels jerk a tiny amount as if to say we are set ready to run and then it goes back to red light and nothing happens.

ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checked it again and still nothing. Checked the wiring, and thats ok as all the channels match with the receiver and transmitter wires. Battery is fully charged and the batterys in the remote are fine. I dont know where i have gone wrong. Stab at the dark but if i had fried the esc it would show signs wouldn't it? because it looks fine. :)

Step 1. Recalibrate it - I've seen Mtroniks "forget" their settings occasionally

OK, you say the steering still works ?

Swap the ESC & servo leads over & check the steering works on the throttle stick, that will prove that both channels of your TX are OK.

Step 1. Recalibrate it - I've seen Mtroniks "forget" their settings occasionally

OK, you say the steering still works ?

Swap the ESC & servo leads over & check the steering works on the throttle stick, that will prove that both channels of your TX are OK.

Right did that. Swapped the esc wires round so the forward reverse should do steering and vice versa, heres what happened.

Forwards and backwards stick did nothing, nothing moved,

Left on the steering stick made the car drive forwards, right did nothing.??????

Transmitter problem :)

By the sound of the symptoms, your TX is in a bad way, what make & model is it ?

Im running with the gear i got with the kit deal. Its an Acoms Techniplus 40mhz 2 Channel setup. My lad has got the same with his blackfoot, im wondering if i swap the crystals and see if that one works???

Just tried the lads radio transmitter and still nothing. Both of them cant be faulty because i was running the Blackfoot this morning. :):P:angry:

Still the same, im starting to think my ESC is dead and im going to have to go back to the shop. The same happened on the other radio gear nothing moved apart from the steering and the red light is still on. Can these ESC's be reset?

You said after the first test you got the car to move forwards with the steering stick right ?

That implies that the ESC is basically working.

You need to recalibrate the ESC whenever you change something in the system (rx, tx etc, but not crystals)

The Mtroniks ESC's can also lose reverse occasionally, follow the setup instructions on the card to ensure reverse is enabled.

One other possibly daft question, what lead is plugged into which channel on the RX ?

You said after the first test you got the car to move forwards with the steering stick right ?

That implies that the ESC is basically working.

You need to recalibrate the ESC whenever you change something in the system (rx, tx etc, but not crystals)

The Mtroniks ESC's can also lose reverse occasionally, follow the setup instructions on the card to ensure reverse is enabled.

One other possibly daft question, what lead is plugged into which channel on the RX ?

Even when i have gone through the setup again it jerks sll four wheels like its reset itself then just goes back to a solid red light, which according to the leaflet that came with it says no signal but it must be receiving signal because when i swapped them round the motor turned.

What model RX do you have ?

Some Acoms have the 0v pin on the outer edge, others the inner, the brown wire on Mtroniks ESC's is the 0v

What model RX do you have ?

Some Acoms have the 0v pin on the outer edge, others the inner, the brown wire on Mtroniks ESC's is the 0v

Pardon me for being thick, when you say Rx i presume you mean receiver. Its an AR-2/40. Correct me if im wrong. I think the brown wire is on the outer edge yes.

Yes, RX is slang for receiver.

Pull the ESC lead from the receiver & flip it round 180° (it won't hurt anything), then try it again.

Don't forget to run through the calibration, but you should know straight away if it's working because when you switch it on, both leds should flash alternately for a couple of seconds.

You my friend are an Emissary of knowledge and i bow to your feet. Its working now, did that what you said and then all of a sudden the thing was trying mount my laptop. I dont know what that does butit worked. My great Thanks.

You're very welcome, only too happy to try & assist a member in distress :blink:

EDIT: I just came across a very useful picture for servo wiring which may help others in the same boat in the future:

rc-servos20.gifrc-servos22.gif