Sign in to follow this  
Spetz83

How Good Is A Tb02

A local hobby shop is clearing out stock and there is a TB02 for sale. It's the kit with a racing (Xanavi maybe?) R34. It doesn't look like a normal R34, but like a JGTC version or something.

It's 100 euros. Are these kits good? Worth 100 euros?

The TB-02 kits are commonly sold on US ebay for about $65. They are nice cars if you can get past the God-forsaken evil rat-bastage ball diffs that plague this car. This is the only Tamiya kit I nearly smashed with a hammer out of pure spite after fooling with the ball diffs until near hatred set in.

If not for the ball diffs from Dante's technical corner of Hades I think the TB-02 would be a good car, especially for the money, but honestly, I think I would save my money and buy a TB-03 or something with better diffs.

Just my 2 cents worth, but if I had known how finicky and totally frustrating the ball diffs were I would not have bought one for $65 NIB no matter how good the rest of the car is.

the diffs can work ok if you know how to build them right... and you get a pair of outdrives that aren't warped :)

Usual fix was to upgrade to TB EvoIII outdrives either white or black.

These days however you can get YR? 3racing? alloy TB02 outdrives which in theory should work a treat

However the TB02 design is getting antiquated and TB03 handles much superior... have moved on my hopped TB02 in favour of (near) stock TB03.

TB03 is a more complex build though, ergo harder to maintain.

I love the TB02, which i raced in the Austrian TamiyaEurocup (class superstock 23T) in 2 seasons and never ever had a problem with the Diffs...

In my opinion it'S very worth that price of EUR 100.

A TT01 cost more than EUR 100,-- and has got any hopup part the TB02 has got.

TB02 out of kit:

ball bearings,

oil filled dampers,

3 main gears (55T, 58T, 61T),

alloy shaft,

adjustable suspension with l/r turn buckles

adjustable steering with l/r turnbuckles,

heavy duty servo saver

If you tune up a TT01 to a TB02 which comes out of the kit, you will

have to pay another EUR 50 to 70,--

I guess I'll give it a pass though. To be honest people have told me before that Tamiya ball diffs in general are not that great, is this true?

I hear the TB03 is very nice however. Is it juts a shaft driven version of the TA05?

Hey there,

Dont be so hasty to dismiss the TB-02. I have 3 of them, 1 I bought as it was in front of me in the LHS and the others to use as spares donors in the event of massvie failure. The second 2 I got delivered to my door in Dubai for less than US$100.

There are some limitations on gearing, but if you are not racing it, that shouldn't bother you.

With regards to the diffs and cups, yes, they are a potential weak point, but that depends on how you build them. For one, replace the 23mm M2 bolt in the diff with a 25mm one that only has thread until halfway up. These are much stronger. Then, when you build the diff, make sure you look closely at the thrust bearing, it is NOT the same on both sides, the side that goes towards the spring has a small brass lip on it, the other side is flat. Incorrect installation here will cause excessive friction and wear...ultimately failure. I have done this to front and back since the original front failed.....since then...perfect and I am running an EZrun BL system. The drive cups are only prone to breaking if the diff is over tight, but I have run a locked rear with drift tires and the outdrives are fine. I am using foams with a lot of grip, the rear is no longer locked ans still no failure.

The only other mods I have done to it are carbon shock towers and tuned springs....oh, and I replaced the bushes in the steering with 850 bearings..

I run Lipo 7.4v and in a fit of madness tried an 11v as well.....too manic, and essentially uncontrollable.

TB-02 chassis are unbeatable value, as mentioned previously, all bearings included....also there is no speed controller which together with an EZrun BL system gives me an awesome car fo under US$200....bargain if you ask me. Check ebay, there are two car on there for US$69 BIN....

Regards

Andy