Sign in to follow this  
BUNGCHIDDI

Df03 Ball Diff.....whats Going On.

Im at work at the moment so im looking for some info before i go home and start pulling my gearbox apart.

Was using the df03 a few days ago and i noticed it was slipping...could hear the motor tune but it wasnt really moving...checked pinions just incase but they were fine as i thought bu the ball diff was lose...i could rotate it whilst holding the 2 sides (as shown in the manual as a 'how it shouldnt be')...so i tightened it up untill i couldnt turn it bu hand. Stuck it in and only got testing it this morning and its doing the same thing...? it was tight when i checked it and it hasnt been run..? have i got something worse going on

Worried that ive stripped the balldiff plates - is this what i have in store for me..?

My question is...if the ball diff plates stripped the plastic outdrives could i rotate it by hand even when i tighten the ball diffs..?

P.

Sometime's it's possible for the diff plates to come unstuck (especially if the diff is overtightened) and then break the plastic retainers which are meant to stop them spinning.

If that's happened, then I believe that you can fit the front diff outdrives which are all metal rather than the metal/plastic of the rear. Don't ask me why Tamiya decided to do that! But this is a better long term solution than getting new plastic parts.

Do you have the slipper clutch for the car? If not then getting that will help protect the diffs in the future.

Hope this helps.

Im at work at the moment so im looking for some info before i go home and start pulling my gearbox apart.

Was using the df03 a few days ago and i noticed it was slipping...could hear the motor tune but it wasnt really moving...checked pinions just incase but they were fine as i thought bu the ball diff was lose...i could rotate it whilst holding the 2 sides (as shown in the manual as a 'how it shouldnt be')...so i tightened it up untill i couldnt turn it bu hand. Stuck it in and only got testing it this morning and its doing the same thing...? it was tight when i checked it and it hasnt been run..? have i got something worse going on

Worried that ive stripped the balldiff plates - is this what i have in store for me..?

My question is...if the ball diff plates stripped the plastic outdrives could i rotate it by hand even when i tighten the ball diffs..?

P.

I'd check the differential plates and diff balls. I think any damage would be hard to see on the balls, so to be sure I'd replace them. They could well have become damaged from the diff slippage (especially when continueing to run the car with the diff loose - but I don't know if you did that)? If the plates have grooves (that you can also feel with your nails) I think you might want to consider replacing those as well. You might have added too much or the wrong grease, causing the diff balls to slip over the diff plates despite being tightened well enough. The outdrives could also be damaged, though I think the previous things are more likely. Despite all that, replacing the rear outdrives for metal ones is a good thing if you are running a quick motor in it.

If your tightening the diff and it keeps coming loose, then I suggest you rebuild the thing. Typically that is caused by having one of the parts in on the wrong side. The screw & thrust bearing should be one side of the diff, while the spring, nut holder & lock-nut are on the other side. Compare your diff very closely with the instructions...

BTW: When rebuilding your diff, check the diff plates for a running groove from the balls. If you see it, but can't catch your fingernail on it, their still good. Just give them a scrub with some oil & 800+ grit sandpaper, clean them and put them back in. If they are grooved, simply flip them over, sand the fresh new surface, and reinstall. That's the nice thing about diff plates.....Their two sided... ;)

It always helps to sand the diff plates before install. This gives the balls more traction, and makes the diff run smoother...

thanks guys.....still havnt checked it out (baby duties are slowing me up)...just wondering and i have been for some time since i heard of it...but what is and how does a slipper clutch work. Does it fit on spur/pinion or is it internal to the gearbox - finally is it expensive..?

P.

A slipper clutch consists of a new gearbox layshaft so that the spur gur is sandwiched between two slipper plates. The clutch is adjusted via a nut and spring on the end to allow you to set the amount of slip it gives.

It's adjustable to enable you to tune it for different conditions, originally designed for racing it's a worthwhile addition to any car as it protects the rest of the drivetrain on landings too. Ideally it should slip for a couple of feet on acceleration.

Pricewise it seems to be listed at around £37 but you should be able to get it cheaper if you search the internet carefully!

Here is the slipper parts and then the install:

44010210_full.jpg

44010196_full.jpg

The two spurs that come with the car will work with the slipper as well...