Sign in to follow this  
Rich D

Tamiya Paints

Hi Folks

Im shortly going to make my first attempts at using my airbrush along with Tamiya paints.( Spray paint from the can and pour into the airbrush hopper )

First up is my Mud Blaster - Ill be using the TS8 Italian Red. What do i use to clean the airbrush out afterwards guys ?

Ive also got some PS16 for my Avante Mk1 - again is it water or oil based ?

lastly, is it ok to just use water to clean the airbrush after using the X and XF range too ?

i thought it best to ask first before i fill it with paint and then cant clean it ! ;)

Thanks as ever for assistance - appreciated

Rich

First up is my Mud Blaster - Ill be using the TS8 Italian Red. What do i use to clean the airbrush out afterwards guys ?

TS paint is lacquer paint. Thin it with Tamiya lacquer thinner if it needs it, but it should be about the right consistency right out of the spray can. The TS-8 red paint is very thin. Mix in thinner until the paint is about the consistency of milk.

Do some test sprays to practice. Then do more test sprays. Then still more, before you go near a body shell.

Less is more when it comes to air pressure - dial it back to the lowest level while the airbrush still sprays smoothly.

Ive also got some PS16 for my Avante Mk1 - again is it water or oil based ?

Seriously, I'd just use these straight from the can and not bother with the airbrush, not worth the hassle. I've never used these from an airbrush. PS paints contain additives that make them resistant to some thinners, and cleanup would have to be done with acetone. You can possibly still find the PC paints which should work with the normal X-20A thinner.

lastly, is it ok to just use water to clean the airbrush after using the X and XF range too ?

No, don't use water. Use isopropyl alcohol or Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner or proper airbrush cleaning solution. The airbrush should come with instructions for cleaning, but it usually involves spraying thinner or airbrush cleaner until it sprays clear, and some disassembly.

You can use isopropyl alcohol as thinner, but it tends to dry really quickly which makes it harder to spray gloss paint. I'd recommend using the X-20A thinner, as I think it has drying retarders in it and is specially made for airbrushing.

- James

TS paint is lacquer paint. Thin it with Tamiya lacquer thinner if it needs it, but it should be about the right consistency right out of the spray can. The TS-8 red paint is very thin. Mix in thinner until the paint is about the consistency of milk.

Do some test sprays to practice. Then do more test sprays. Then still more, before you go near a body shell.

Less is more when it comes to air pressure - dial it back to the lowest level while the airbrush still sprays smoothly.

Seriously, I'd just use these straight from the can and not bother with the airbrush, not worth the hassle. I've never used these from an airbrush. PS paints contain additives that make them resistant to some thinners, and cleanup would have to be done with acetone. You can possibly still find the PC paints which should work with the normal X-20A thinner.

No, don't use water. Use isopropyl alcohol or Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner or proper airbrush cleaning solution. The airbrush should come with instructions for cleaning, but it usually involves spraying thinner or airbrush cleaner until it sprays clear, and some disassembly.

You can use isopropyl alcohol as thinner, but it tends to dry really quickly which makes it harder to spray gloss paint. I'd recommend using the X-20A thinner, as I think it has drying retarders in it and is specially made for airbrushing.

- James

Hi James

Sincere thanks for the comprehensive reply !

I have just ordered some Isopropyl Alcohol following your advice. I will take my time on the Mud Blaster and do as you say. Have you any idea of the PSI that i need to run at ? I have a gauge on my compressor and will get a pressure regulator.

I have also got a Scorcher project that im on with. I dont trust myself to paint this one so its going to be done by a pro. Im just doing as much research as i can for him so as to avoid **** ups !

Im trying to emulate the finish on the superb Scorcher linked below.

Clicky

This Scorcher owner says that he used a "PUR Clear coat" over the top of the paint and decals - is this the same as TS13 ?

Another clicky

The guy who is going to paint my Scorcher for me does superb airbrushed RC shells but usually lexan ones using water based faskolor paints. I dont think hes ever done a Scorcher or used Tamiya paints before but im unsure! ?.

If theres anything else worth mentioning that you can think of then please shout !

I have just ordered some Isopropyl Alcohol following your advice.

Shouldn't even need to thin the TS paint, just goes straight into the airbrush from the rattle can.

I do think X20A thinner works a bit better, it's what I use. But the alcohol is a good general purpose cleaner/thinner. You can get cheap lacquer thinner from the hardware store too that works with lacquers, it's usually toluene or methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK) I think. Just need to check if there are any chemical thinners that the airbrush specifically recommends to avoid as they may damage the airbrush.

Have you any idea of the PSI that i need to run at ? I have a gauge on my compressor and will get a pressure regulator.

Usually somewhere between 15-30PSI. When you're testing the airbrush, adjust the pressure to see the effect, you'll find the pressure that works best with your setup.

This Scorcher owner says that he used a "PUR Clear coat" over the top of the paint and decals - is this the same as TS13 ?

Yes. TS13 is clear coat lacquer in a rattle can, that's the best one to use. There's a Mr Hobby gloss clear coat that's not bad too. X22 is acrylic clear, it's a bit softer than the TS13 and not quite as good.

Some other people use Future floor polish as a cheap clear coat for display models, but I haven't tried it as we can't get it here in Australia.

As for clear over decals - I would only ever clear coat over waterslide decals. The Tamiya stickers are a bit too thick.

- James